18 August 2026

Blessed

Sunday afternoon in our garden before  our long hot summer began transitioning into autumn. That picture says everything. It reminds me just how much I am blessed. Reminds me that only a fool would take it for granted.

Life. For any of us it could all have taken a different turn. The crossroads we arrived at. The bullets we dodged. Health issues. Relationships that broke. The choices that we made - not knowing how things might turn out.

Yes. Blessed. It's those people that I really care about. Not politicians. Not musical heroes or favourite writers or ghost people who remain in my memory nor even Hull City's players!

It's always lovely to see Margot and Zach together. Born just nine days apart, they are very much on the same mental wavelength. Their faces light up when they see each other again. To Margot,  Zach is "Zachie-Boy" and he calls her "Margie".

They can both be unco-operative when it comes to having their pictures taken and on Saturday afternoon, Margot was sulking for England - her bottom lip protruding like the keyboard cabinet of on old upright piano. I should have offered her a couple of chocolate buttons. She would have smiled like a Cheshire cat.

They are both Scorpios - not that I believe in any of that astrological nonsense. However, it is frequently said of Scorpios that "they can be stubborn" so maybe there's something in it after all.

Do you feel blessed?

22 comments:

  1. I am not a wealthy person. But I have a comfortable, clean home. I have electricity and clean running water around the clock. I have an abundance of food that I enjoy eating in my larders. My children and grandchildren are healthy, reasonably happy and gainfully employed. I am a master at finding things to gripe about, but mostly I know that I am well blessed and I am truly grateful for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful family photo! I wouldn't use the term blessed, but I do feel fortunate to have my daughters and grandsons nearby and delighted to have time with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel blessed. I taught at the best of times. Jobs were a dime a dozen, Salaries were great. Teachers were supported.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do feel blessed.
    I couldn't help but notice there was an old fart in that family photo, he looks quite happy though:) And yes, you are blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I certainly do, Neil, and I can relate so well to what you have written here.
    You are a very rich man.

    As for the alleged stubbornness of Scorpios, the same is said about Aries (me) and several others. In my opinion, everyone can be (and is) stubborn at times, no matter their age or under which constellation of stars they were born.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely post!
    Our daughter used to stick her bottom lip out when she sulked. Her grandad used to say "you could sit three pigeons on that lip!"
    Time goes bt so quickly and in the blink of an eye we are in our autumnal years.
    Yes, life has challenges. Some feel insurmountable but the human spirit and the desire to live can be stronger. We are lucky to live in an age where medicine can help most if not all of us.
    Finding joy in our families is one of life's greatest gifts. Sometimes they annoy the heck out of us too but that's life.
    To live to see life from"The other end" is surely a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grandchildren are a blessing, and as for Scorpios being stubborn, I can definitely confirm that, I would smile for a chocolate button as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Margot. That face!
    I do feel blessed. I am fit (ish), live in a lovely spot and have enough pension to live comfortably. I may not have children or grandchildren but that would probably just be greedy. I am grateful for any happiness that comes my way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I most certainly do feel blessed as my family continues to grow. 4 children, 6 grandchildren and 2 great-grandchildren with a third on the way.
    Margot is a champion sulker.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a beautiful pictures! Being blessed isn’t about having a perfect life, but recognising the people and little moments that make it meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fortunately there are many kinds of blessings. I have no children or grandchildren, and a lot of people close to my heart live geographically far away. Looking back at my life with all its various "ups and downs" there are still lots of things and circumstances and experiences and people (some still living, others having "passed on") that I'm grateful for, though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel blessed but some days more than others.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Margot and Zach remind me of my August and Maggie. Some of the most beautiful pictures we have as a family are of those two together when they were almost exactly the age your cousin-twins are.
    Beautiful family. Yes, we are the lucky ones.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, like you, I am blessed and I remind myself of that every day. Happy family, 4 grandies, roof over my head and food in the fridge. And I am a Scorpio too and often show my Scorpioness. Or is that Scorpio-osity? Great family photo!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's such a lovely family photo.
    Blessed has taken on a new meaning in the circles I move among.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful group family photo! And yes, it's true about Scorpios.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We have a very good life. We have made a difference in the world, in the lives of others, I continue to be actively engaged. "Blessed" is a word with connotations I shy away from. We are where we are as a result of choices, good and bad we have made over the decades that have brought is to a good place.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a beautiful family...you are blessed. And yes, I do feel very, very blessed, too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fine looking family photo!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That first photo is a great photo for your Christmas card this year. Do you send cards? What a great looking family you have, Neil!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm always thankful for my wife who has had lots of health issues and scares over the years. My girls who remind my that I am worth the effort and my grandson who I consider it an honour to watch grow. Not forgetting my little dog who gets me out of the house every night.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits