20 August 2026

Pictures

Frankly, I have not got the energy to write a proper blogpost tonight. Instead, I am simply sharing a bunch of images from our mini-break in Bridlington. Above a "dire wolf" made entirely of Lego bricks in Sewerby Hall gardens. There was an outdoor Lego exhibition on the theme of extinction. The dire wolf was native to the Americas but became extinct thousands of years ago.
A view of Kilham from Kilham churchyard

Phoebe delivering a sermon from the pulpit in Kilham Church (With Lam-Lam)

The harbour wall at Bridlington, looking to the chalk headland at Flamborough

Pirate ship heading towards Flamborough Head

Where you used to buy your tickets for the pirate ship at Bridlington Harbour

Bridlington seagull on an old cannon

Coastal observatory at Flamborough

Phoebe and Shirley walking to the old foghorn station at Flamborough Head

Seals seen from Flamborough Head with plenty of camera zoom

Pygmy goat in Sewerby Park Zoo

Our cottage at Marton near Bridlington

25 comments:

  1. I like visiting places like that. But.... what does NO TOMBSTONING mean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Tombstoning" is when a daredevil youngster jumps off a harbour wall or rocks into the sea - while holding their feet. This stupid activity has frequently resulted in death or serious injury.

      Delete
    2. Tombstoning seems like a very accurate description of the activity.

      Delete
  2. Love the photos, especially the one with the rainbow. Kids are tiring. It's me and Jack this week and next and I may be a little grumpy by bedtime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are allowed to be grumpy after that. By the way I saw a TV programme earlier this week titled "The Great ADHD Myth?". It has proved very controversial but has at least sparked plenty of debate so that cannot be a bad thing.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful pictures, love the seagull in flight and the Pirate Ship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would make a great pirate Elsie - with a parrot on your shoulder called Andrew.

      Delete
  4. A good set of pictures to give us an impression of your mini break.
    My, Phoebe will soon reach Shirley's shoulder height! I'd listen to her sermon with great interest, and I am now wondering what JHS stands for. S as in Society, maybe?
    The key safe at Kibbletree is the same model we have at Matchbox Cottage, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to look up "JHS" on a church pulpit. It means "Jesus Hominum Salvator" or Jesus Saviour of Humanity. Apparently those initials are quite common in English churches. I doubt that Jesus will save me as I am a very bad man but I think you will be okay.

      Delete
  5. A mini break at the seaside. It looks all very pleasant and traditional. Though Phoebe carrying an umbrella harks back to old times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For a post you couldn't be bothered to make an effort for, it wasn't half bad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking at these pictures last night, I kept wondering who Phoebe reminds me of, then it finally hit me. She could almost be the twin of our school receptionist's daughter, Sadie. If Phoebe had blond curly hair and was a couple of years older, they'd be dead ringers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photographs, Mr Pudd.
    I had to look up Tombstoning. Good grief! Some people are crazy.
    Whenever I see a photograph taken from behind as in the one of Shirley and Phoebe, it reminds me of our youngest son. When he was around 9 he told me I looked quite young from behind. I was 34. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the street view.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd listen to a sermon by Phoebe! And that Lego Dire Wolf and the Handsome Pirate should team up. They could RULE that town.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did you take a pirate boat ride?

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely collection of photos from your mini-break! The Lego dire wolf is impressive but I think the seals at Flamborough Head would have been my favourite sight.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would have been annoyed too, finding out new customers were paying less for a much faster service!

    ReplyDelete
  14. No wonder you're tired! That was a fully packed few days.
    Lovely photos. Thank you for introducing us to Lam-Lam.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great pictures as always, I particularly like the one of Phoebe and Shirley. I paused over “tombstoning” and realised had very recently read about that on another blog. WHat an amazing coincidence.

    On a separate note, I did my undergrad with someone who said he was going to call his daughter Phoebe but it would be spelt FeeBee. I can’t remember the name he had chosen for a boy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kilham Churchyard could be in Midlothian. Lasswade or Roslin.
    Or even Haddington, East Lothian, where Johnnie Knox played as a bairnie.

    Phoebe should give the sermon in my kirk. Preachers send me to sleep.
    I'd like to end my days in that Coastal Observatory in breezy Flamborough.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looking at the photos I have a question. Are you left handed?

    ReplyDelete
  18. "Tombstoning" -- I had to look it up, though I would have guessed that's what it meant. "Kibbletree" is a funny name, given that "kibble" is what we call dry dog food.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I should go back to Brid soon, I remember it had a good cartoon museum.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits