26 August 2026

Quiztime

As Frances from Hertfordshire, England reminded me the other day - there hasn't been an episode of "Quiztime" on this blog for quite a while. So here we go. The theme is arches and all you have to do is decide where the arch is located - choosing from four alternatives. You will find the correct answers in the comments section. Good luck!

⦿

1. (a) Delhi, India (b) Singapore (c) Budapest, Hungary (d)  Bombay, India

2. (a) Brussels, Belgium (b) London, England 
(c) Melbourne, Australia (d) Athens, Greece

3. (a) Madrid (b) St Petersburg (c) Paris (d) Vienna

4. (a) Syria (b) Lebanon (c) Mexico (d) Malta


5. (a) Lisbon, Portugal (b) New York, USA 
(c) Tirana, Albania (d) Toronto, Canada

6. (a)  Edinburgh (b) Athens (c) Avignon, France (d) Rome

7. (a) Saudi Arabia (b) Japan (c) The Philippines (d) North Korea

8. (a) Cleveland, Ohio (b) San Francisco, California
(c) New Orleans, Louisiana (d) St Louis, Missouri

9. Sadly this natural arch collapsed in 2021
(a) The Orkney Islands, Scotland (b) The Galapagos Islands, Ecuador
(c)  Lofoten Islands, Norway (d) Chatham Islands, New Zealand

10. (a) Canada and USA border (b) Poland and Germany border
(c) North Korea and South Korea border (d) Ukraine and Russia border

⦿

That's all folks! How did you do?

24 comments:

  1. ANSWERS
    1. (d) Bombay, India
    2. (b) London, England
    3. (c) Paris
    4. (a) Syria
    5. (b) New York, USA
    6. (d) Rome
    7. (b) Japan
    8. d) St Louis, Missouri
    9. (b) The Galapagos Islands, Ecuador
    10. (a) Canada and USA border

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed two and I'm not feeling bad about that. (numbers 1 and 9)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you did not use your smartphone Kelly? Come on. Own up now.

      Delete
    2. I do not cheat when it comes to your quizzes, Mr. Pudding.

      Delete
  3. I got 4 out of 10.
    Bombay. London. Paris. New York.

    It feels like Junior School. A girl across from me was super smart.
    Aged eight, I gazed at her longingly. She was a post-war look-alike of Anne Frank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And she gazed back thinking. "Is that a turnip?"

      Delete
    2. Turnip is a Neep. Burns' Night Menu : Bashed Neeps with Haggis.

      Numpty, Tumshie, Malky, Radge, Glaikit, Dunderheid, Bawheid ...
      Scottish words for folks who are not the sharpest pencil in the box.

      Priscilla Bawcut is a clever lady who wrote a book on William Dunbar.
      Many people are called Dunbar like the poet but Bawcut is a rare surname.

      As for my little Anne, she became a brilliant mathematician.
      Algebraic Topology and Noncommutative Geometry are her fields.
      Categorical Logic and Homotopy Type Theory are more of a hobby.

      Roger Penrose : Is Mathematics Invented or Discovered ? YouTube.
      Silvia Jones : Is Mathematics Invented or Discovered ? YouTube.

      Delete
  4. I got 7 purely on guesses. Missed #1-5-9

    ReplyDelete
  5. I missed 8 and 9.
    10. "May these gates never close", and "Brethren dwelling together in unity". Lol. Not anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not until the orange baby at the top is booted out.

      Delete
  6. I only recognised London. And that was only because of the Buses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry that I did not include the Wainwright Arch Bridge in Blackburn.

      Delete
  7. Only 5 out of 10 this time. I could pretend it's because I'm out of practise, which is of course partly your fault for not having hosted a quiz in such a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear, only 3 correct! London Paris and Japan. But thanks for a quiz!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Easy for me. 10/10 though I needed the multiple choice for no 9

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. One of the India photos. So I'm half-wit and half-right.
    2.London. The busses gave it away!
    3. Ah, Paree!
    4. Lebanon X
    5. Washington Square in La Grande Apple!
    6.. Rome
    7. Japan.
    8. Meet Me In St. Louis!
    9. Can't even hazard a guess though I'm saddened that it's gone. X
    10. Canada and US border. I know because I've been there and also because that picture was used in a Jeopardy question this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 7 correct, #6 is from an unfamiliar angle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I only got 4 correct and had to guess at a LOT of these.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I missed no. 6 and no. 9. Are the ruins in Syria some of the ancient remains of Palmyra that were destroyed by ISIS in recent years?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Only got 5. And I have no idea where number 10 is located.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Six out of ten. The four wrong were wild guesses!

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits