Frances, Stewart, Phoebe and Margot have been away from Sheffield for the past ten days. They have been in a terrible region called "Down South" - visiting Stewart's aunties, Peppa Pig World and friends who live in Bournemouth.
Meantime, here in the blessed region of "Up North", we have been filling our time and missing them all - especially the two little girls because we love them entirely. It is hard to remember how life was before those two little characters stepped into our world. But they will be back tomorrow, Back in Grandparent World which is probably quite similar to Peppa Pig World. I am Grandpa Pig.
Here in England, most schools will re-open on Thursday - a sure sign that summer is over and autumn is just around the corner. But what a summer we have enjoyed! A time of shorts and sandals and sheltering from the golden orb. The grass turned beige and doom-mongers warned us "The End Is Nigh".
Normally I prepare family Sunday dinners and I enjoy doing that but for the past two Sundays we have been "out" for our Sunday dinners. A rare treat.
Last Sunday, we visited "The Lescar" on Sharrowvale Road. As usual the meals were brilliant - prepared lovingly in a hidden kitchen by a chef who knows what he is doing. The standard had not fallen. And the atmosphere in the pub was very pleasant and peaceful. It is a pub I have known since 1978 and it is little changed.
Today we went to the popular "Broadfield" on Abbeydale Road. It was busy and noisy too. You could hardly hold a conversation but our meals came quickly and mine was good. Less "love" than in the hidden kitchen at "The Lescar" but still very tasty. I am glad that I went for the roasted half chicken and not the brisket that Shirley chose. I tried it and it was disappointingly bland.
With the noisy babble in the pub we left as soon as our meal was over and drove on to deliver a "New Born" congratulations card to one of Frances's long time friends. Sinnead gave birth last week and has been struggling to adjust to her new situation. Unusually, she stayed in hospital for a full week with the little boy who has still not been given a name. Thankfully, she is out of hospital now but we are all worried about her mental state and how she will cope with things.
For some women. giving birth to a small human is not entirely joyous. There can be anxiety, trauma and post-natal depression. Though the new baby was hugely wanted, Sinnead cannot help how she has been feeling. She never intended to be blue or traumatised but she has many friends, a good man by her side and practical, supportive parents who still live in Sheffield. I hope she pulls through and gives that little boy a name before long. I would suggest Neil but strangely that name is not very popular these days.
Sinnead has a healthy baby boy, but she's not herself
ReplyDeleteAccording to perinatal research, PND often follows a history of bipolar disorder.
Depression during pregnancy is a second factor linked to PND.
PND is not the same as the 'baby blues' affecting 80 per cent of mothers.
This peaks a few days after birth and may be resolved in a couple of weeks.
PND is a clinical condition and requires professional counselling.
For effective treatment of PND, GPs and midwives use the Edinburgh Postnatal
Depression Scale (EPDS).
Sinnead has the support of her partner & family. Crucial for any mother.
I hope the new mother manages, for her sake and the baby's.
ReplyDeleteAnd that your relatives survive the trip dahn sahf and come home soon to where people talk proper.
Mmm, roasted chicken. It's been a long long while since I roasted anything, usually buy a rotisserie chicken from the supermarket these days. I miss the smell of roasting things, but don't miss the clean-up that follows.
ReplyDeleteI hope Sinnead comes through this quickly and has plenty of help and support.
I'm sure that Sinnead will be fine very soon. Maybe a trip to The Beautiful South would help to lift her spirits; it does mine!!!
ReplyDeleteSinnead will eventually find a host of names for her little one and she will hopefully come out of her depressed state. Birth and motherhood are two big things to arrive at.
ReplyDeleteThe disadvantage about living up North is the cold of course, down South the weather is better, What I am surprised by though is that northerners haven't established a separate territory, though Burnham is trying. But North has one distinct advantage - RAIN, water to fill the reservoirs, a mixed blessing of course. It also has a rich history which needs some selling to Westminster.
I, too, hope Sinnead recovers quickly. When that post-partum high is absent it can carry over for a very long time and it makes everything so much harder.
ReplyDeleteI like the heather. It's very subtly beautiful.
I recently read the number of English pubs closing, which is so sad, but I know about the economics of running such businesses, and it is obvious why so many fail.
ReplyDeleteMy hippie niece struggled hugely with post natal depression after the birth of her twin daughters, to the point she was hospitalised for psychiatric care. Men have no understanding of what it is like to give birth.
Enjoy the return of the family, and long walks in the cooler days of September. A family member received some much needed mental health care after the birth of her first child, the care was life changing for her and those around her. I hope your friend does as well.
ReplyDeleteI am so grateful that my mind responded to the birth of my children with the most wonderful rush of love-hormones. Those were the happiest days of my life. But I know this is not always true for every woman and I cannot imagine the torment of having to work through that. Andrew is right in that men have no idea what it's like to give birth but it's also true that even women who have given birth but never experienced PND can't really understand either.
ReplyDeleteI hope Sinnead gets the help she needs to feel better soon.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure Phoebe and Margot will be so happy to see Shirley and you.
Best wishes to Sinnead that she can come through this.
ReplyDeleteMy neighbor and I were just discussing post partum depression this morning after the kids got on the school bus. I hope Sinnead gets the help she needs.
ReplyDeleteJack started back to school this morning and I have a whole day ahead of me to do as I please.
Hope your granddaughters had a wonderful trip and I'm sure grandpa pig will be very happy to see them again:)
It sounds like Sinnead is getting lots of support, which is what's needed. My friend Pam took several days to name her daughter. In her case it wasn't due to depression, just indecision!
ReplyDeleteI hope you're enjoying your "time off" as grandpa, even though I know you miss the kids. Nice to get out and see some heather.
The summer was certainly warm and sunny but too harsh for me.