26 July 2026

Report

On Carrer del Calvari, Pollensa

Our Majorcan villa, just outside the ancient town of Pollensa, was almost perfect. All four bedrooms had effective air-conditioning units which were pretty essential in that sultry heat. And the outdoor area with a lovely deep swimming pool served us well - even though the three children required responsible supervision.

Our Phoebe

My son-in-law Stewart was the barbecue king and every night we had salad and barbecued meat with a dollop of carbohydrates plus wine and beer. Of course my son Ian didn't have the meat - he had beans or a tofu alternative.

There were two or three days at the villa when I got up, put my swimming shorts on and dived in the pool and I didn't shower, get dressed or comb my hair all day. This made a nice change.
Ian and Zach at Playa Formentor

We visited Playa Formentor which Shirley and I had taken Ian to in 1986. At that time we stayed in The Hotel Cala San Vicenze where there is a little sandy cove. Interestingly, forty years later - on our second morning Ian ran there - around ten kilometers before diving into the sea and swimming out for half a mile.
Happy busker in Pollensa

The flights were on time and we didn't have any costly prangs with our two hire cars. The children were happy and healthy and I didn't watch any television or learn what was happening in the world beyond our former Majorcan farmhouse. 
Picnic time

And - oh - I met a famous person at Birmingham Airport but more about that in the next gripping episode of "Yorkshire Pudding"...

41 comments:

  1. Looks idyllic! And isn't that a happy looking busker living his best life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He had just climbed the long stone stairway from the town below, ready to make some bread. He played traditional Spanish guitar tunes without singing.

      Delete
  2. Glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica. It was indeed a great getaway.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful getaway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was but with Phoebe now being in school such family holidays are dictated by the school dates. We were there in the peak summer week and ordinarily Shirley and I would not have entertained that slot.

      Delete
  4. Looks like a wonderful vacation. I especially like the photo of the 3 grands smiling and laughing together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to snap them as there'll usually be one with its eyes closed or looking away.

      Delete
  5. Happy busker, happier babies. How very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As Pharrell Williams sang...
      Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof
      (Because I'm happy)
      Clap along if you feel like happiness is the truth
      (Because I'm happy)
      Clap along if you know what happiness is to you

      Delete
  6. I love that photo of the cousins. Beautiful photos, as always, and it sounds like everyone had a good time. Bliss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bliss indeed even though an argument flared up between me and Ian half way through the holiday but we salved it and put it behind us,

      Delete
  7. Lovely family time - a perfect break from everyday national and international events.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is easy to get too obsessed with that stuff.

      Delete
  8. Bliss. Sheer bliss. You had me at staying in swimming togs all day long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why didn't you join us Marty? I bet you have a skimpy leopard print bikini.

      Delete
  9. Sounds lovely, welcome home. Hope we get more photos in the next few posts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not take very many photos Traveller but I will post a few more my friend.

      Delete
  10. Those three look so happy together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot and Zach were born nine days apart and they seem to appreciate the special significance of that closeness. They are very sweet together.

      Delete
  11. I hope you have come back rested. We've had Majorcan weather here. Did your garden survive in your absence?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The autistic unemployed girl from across the road did a lot of watering for us. We will be giving her £25 for her service.

      Delete
  12. Well, that is fairly gripping, I must say! I can't wait to hear about your brush with fame! Glad you and the family are healthy, happy and well-rested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will certainly be disappointed with my famous person tale.

      Delete
  13. Welcome back, Neil! Your holiday sounds great, a true getaway from everything.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like you all had a brilliant time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. As unbelievable as it may seem to you, my friend, Mallorca was our last stop on a wonderful trip to Spain with my son and his wife at the end of September last year. We had already been to San Sebastian and Málaga. We stayed near the port city of Soller. I loved, loved visiting the lovely villages near there! In all my travels in my long life, Spain was one of three places that I longed to see once more. I feel very, very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's nice that you were on Majorca so recently. I expect the September temperatures were more endurable than they were last week. Like living in an oven. Thank heavens for that swimming pool.

      Delete
  16. Look at those happy, beautiful children! What lovely memories your family will have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a privilege to spend quality time with them and when I think about it - such a privilege to be a grandparent at all.

      Delete
  17. I can tell by the comments you had a good time. The look on the kids faces says it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everybody chilled out in the heat and we didn't do much sightseeing or travelling.

      Delete
  18. The littles are adorable and obviously having a great time. Sounds like you all had a great time. Beautiful place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all worked out well and just two hours south by air.

      Delete
  19. Sounds like a wonderful break was had.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Was this a proper famous person or second rate famous person who I will not have heard of and be quite unimpressed?

    ReplyDelete
  21. It does look wonderful. Some lovely pictures. Love the one of the busker.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits