The Sheaf from Cutler's Walk
This city, Sheffield, also knew name or spelling changes through time. I used one of the older versions as the title of this blogpost - Sheaffeld.
One of the city's five little rivers is the River Sheaf. It travels for little more than seven miles from its source to its confluence with the much larger River Don. Historically, those seven miles marked a section of the border between the ancient kingdoms of Northumbria and Mercia that predated the very notion of a united country called England.
In Old English the term "sheaf" or "scēað" meant a boundary. "Feld" that later became "field" meant an open area of land or pasture. So you can see that way back in history when a small settlement grew in what is now our city centre Sheaffeld was a logical and rather simple choice. It was not fanciful.
Cutler's Walk
But I was mostly there to see a muralist at work by Cutler's Walk which narrowly weaves its way by the The Sheaf and the main Midland railway line. And there she was up a ladder hard at work - Zoe Genders. She has been commissioned to create a 200 square metre mural which is likely to see her working into early September.
I stopped to talk to her and it was interesting to hear that she views her creations as ephemeral. They are just here for a while and she expects taggers and teenage scrawlers to come along with spoiling additions. That's all part of the reality of being an urban muralist.
I wished her well and promised that I would return in September to see the finished work.
To tell you the truth, Zoe's abstract graphical shapes and lines and blocks of colour are not my favourite style of street art but it is what she does and she seemed happy in her work.
⦿
This morning at 4.30am, the Irish singer-songwriter and musician Glen Hansard died in a tragic motorcycle accident in County Dublin, Ireland. When I first heard this news, a sharp intake of breath was necessary. I hope they play "Falling Slowly" at his funeral. He leaves behind his Finnish wife Maire and their beloved three year old son. So sad. He was only 56.
I like a bit of street art. Not walked by the river sheaf for many a year, should get over there at some point.
ReplyDeleteI was sorry to hear about Glen Hansard's death, as well.
ReplyDeleteI hope you'll post a photo of the finished mural when you go back to see it in September.
ReplyDeleteAgain you looked up some very interesting history of place names. Here we stole most of your good names.
ReplyDeleteThe muralist has a good attitude to her creation. Murals are only ever meant to be temporary. They fade in time, or are scrawled on until they are unrecognisable, or simply painted over with a new mural. That's partly why I enjoy taking mural photos and sharing them. There is a record, often with thoughts and interpretations attached.
ReplyDeleteI have never heard of Glen Hansard, but 56 is way too young to die. The river looks nice.
ReplyDeleteFeld is German for field. I love learning the ethymology of a place name. Ludwigsburg is very straightforward, too - and only a bit over 300 years old anyway: Duke Eberhard Ludwig had his palace (wrongly called castle) built there in the middle of woodland, his favourite huntin ground, and castle is Burg in German.
ReplyDeleteI thought taggers have a code of honour that forbids them to tag someone else‘s artwork. Will you show us pictures of the finished mural?
The early death of the singer is sad. I didn‘t know him, but 56 is way too young, and leaving behind a wife and child makes it more tragic.
I love how place names developed. Ham, Ford and Caster often follow town or river names. A lot of Viking and Germanic influence too. To this day Feld is the German for field.
ReplyDeleteI read about Hansard's death yesterday. Falling Slowly is a favorite song of mine.
ReplyDeletePS: I actually watched a video yesterday of "Falling Slowly", but not the one that you posted. I think it would be quite fitting if that song was played at his funeral.
ReplyDeleteThat is a very large mural. Motorcyclists love riding, they know it does not always end well, but can't resist the pull of the wind in their hair.
ReplyDeleteRIP Glen
ReplyDeleteFalling Slowly is one of those songs that causes my eyes to well up in tears and I am grateful.
Beautiful voices on that video. Truly lovely. The presence of the motorcycle is sadly ironic.
ReplyDeleteI can't believe he's dead. I loved that movie and the song so much. His poor family.
ReplyDeleteIn Calgary an 11 year old autistic boy went missing two weeks. His body was found yesterday. He had crawled into a culvert and then into a water pipe where he died.
Sometimes life is too filled with suffering.
A shame about Glen Hansard. The murals look interesting and I'm eager to see the finished product!
ReplyDeleteA beautiful song and a lovely movie as I recall.
ReplyDeleteNaperville was founded by Joe Naper - hence the name.