26 September 2026

Early

Early this morning, I drove out to the showground at Hope in The Hope Valley.  I had risen at an ungodly hour to take our son Ian there. He had signed up for a gruelling running event and you needed to be there an hour early for the purposes of registration, picking up your running number and tracking device before receiving a pre-race briefing.

I was witnessing a sub-culture of which I knew and still know very little. The runners around me were dressed in their special  and ready to go - all with little backpacks containing  electrolytes, special energy gels, basic first aid kits and of course their obligatory smartphones. There were around three hundred runners in the first tranche.

Like my beloved son, they had all voluntarily signed up to run 50km - but not on flat roads or running tracks. The course of this event would take them up hill and down dale, arcing around  the Upper Derwent reservoirs. I know this terrain very well having walked most of those paths though of course I never considered running along them. It was enough for me to just plod like an ambling Asian elephant.

I watched them go and then drove home for a toasted bagel and a mug of morning tea.
Ian at the start

Soon after consuming this, we received a phone call. Ian was about 15km into the race and had decided he needed to drop out. What a shame! The weather was absolutely perfect for late September and The Peak District was bathed in glorious sunshine after a misty start.

At first I thought that he might have had a fall and perhaps suffered an injury but It turns out that he had received a work-related phone call and there was some pressing business he just had to iron out. He needed to be back on his laptop as soon as possible.

I went to pick him up at Ashopton Viaduct. What a bummer! He had been looking forward to this event for ages and had brought little Zach up from London for the weekend. I thought to myself - Hell, if he had not had a smartphone on him, the pressing work matter would have simply had to wait. Those things can be like little genii on your shoulder - never allowing you to truly get away and be free, always nagging at you with bleeps, rings and alerts.

By good fortune - tomorrow (Sunday) happens to be the day of the annual Sheffield 10km road race so Ian quickly signed up for it. Though not as gruelling as the 50km run in The Peak District would have been, the road race will provide a measure of consolation. 

I just hope his blasted phone doesn't ring half way round the course!

Dog walker at Hope Showground after the 50km runners had departed

13 comments:

  1. Those cell phones ruin everything.
    But Ian was lucky another race was in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Disappointing, but I hope Ian enjoys tomorrow's run!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a shame about the phone call, but sometimes business comes first and Ian will have other chances.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any mobile phone, not just a smart phone, would have done him in. I hope Sunday's weather is just as nice for him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son-in-law is running a half-marathon today in Kent. As for smartphones, my daughter always has work-related texts by the hundredweight when she is off duty and is constantly checking for updates on her patients. She is never really free from work. Hope Ian manages to get through the course today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Running uphill over rough terrain for 50 km ?
    Ian has the strength and stamina of Meike and her husband.

    Your son had reason enough to pull out. Work. He'll run it again.
    And you got your toasty bagel and mug of steaming tea !

    Little Tuscany is a new restaurant in Glasgow with a big breakfast menu.
    Lorne sausage, scrambled egg, potato scones, crispy bacon ...
    I haven't had a cooked breakfast in 20 years. Just toast and banana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you want a rollicking laugh, Neil ...
      On-Yee Eats. TikTok.

      This young Chinese-Glasgow woman reviews ethnic restaurants in our
      eclectic city. For such a wee lassie she eats like Desperate Dan.

      She reviewed Chaakoo's in Ruthven Lane, not far from where I live.
      I rarely eat out. But On-Yee makes me glad I live here.

      Gulab Jamun, Monkfish Curry, Chana Masala, Smoky Fried Chicken,
      Lamb Chops, Fish Pakora, Afghani Tikka, Pashwari Naan ... Chakoo.

      Delete
    2. Ian has the strength and stamina of about a dozen Meikes and OKs!

      Delete
  7. WIth the exception of physicians and firemen on call, it is not life and death, it will wait, or someone else can handle it. Those three or four hours were his time. Turn off the phone, leave it in the car. My phone is usually on the table in the other room. Leave a message and when I get round to it, I might call you back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photos. You really got the morning light.
    And you know- Ian made a choice and yes, he wouldn't have had to make it without the phone alerting him to the situation, but again- it was his choice to be able to stay in touch with his business while running.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's what happens when you own your business. I remember my Dad having to take care of last minute things when he ran his own business. Hope Ian enjoyed the race today and it was nice you got to spend time with Zach.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The morning must have felt so good and fresh and wonderful!
    I completely agree with Ms. Moon‘s comment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah well, there will be more races and I believe he is one of the bosses right? The morning looks beautiful and I hope he enjoyed the 10km run.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits