1: Would you stop at this Starbucks, it is between the train station and the Palace of Versailles?
2: When was the last time, you had something from a Starbucks?
3: How do you feel about those who believe Starbucks is evil?
4: Describe your local alternative to Starbucks?
5: What is your order at Starbucks?
As it happens, I have only been in one Starbucks - primarily to use their lavatory but feeling slightly guilty about it, I must confess that I then bought an iced coffee. It was a very hot day - earlier this summer. This was on the day I travelled to Uttoxeter to undertake a long country walk.
Anyway, that doesn't matter. The main point is I like David's "Sunday Five" idea and that is why I respond to his questions most Sundays.
At the risk of legal action from a fellow who is well-versed in the law, I am going to borrow his idea this evening as I present "The Yorkshire Pudding Wednesday Six". You are invited to respond in the comments but if you don't feel like it please just go back to sleep. In fact my theme this evening is sleep!
1. On average how many hours sleep do you get each night?
2. What do you tend to wear in bed - if anything!?
3. If you wake up in the middle of the night, how do you get back to sleep?
4. How often do you remember dreams and what do you tend to dream about?
5. On a normal night about what time do you go to bed?
6. In your opinion, what is the best thing about sleep?
Thank you for your anticipated participation. All data collected will be studied, reflected upon and analysed before being jettisoned into outer space.
1. 8. Maybe a bit less. My mattress is fairly firm and I sleep on my side. If I go much longer I begin to experience some sciatic discomfort.
ReplyDelete2. Soft clothes - whatever I have been wearing about the house before I go to bed, or in summer t-shirt and underpants. Possibly because of circulation issues these days I get a sleep-preventing chill if I do not wear socks, and in winter I even put on an extra pair. I have a bad but unshakeable habit dating back to my teens of sleeping with a pillow over my head. (Originally this was to keep out noise because we were on a busy road.)
3. Trip to the loo then straight back to bed before I wake up more conclusively.
4. Rarely remember dreams. Maybe 3 or 4 times a year but the thing is I even forget my short term memories quite soon. Nocturic dreams often involve a need to urinate and/or inability to find a toilet. A recurring topic of nightmares is being back at school and something to do with the impending HSC (Higher School Certificate). I believe lots of people have this. Just occasionally an erotic dream (not a nightmare).
5. 2am. Uninterrupted by worldly commitments my default sleep is 2am to 10am. This must be socially rather than biologically aligned because it doesn't seem to be much affected by the shift to or from daylight saving time.
6. Slipping into it or, after a really solid sleep, waking up feeling wonderful.
1. Around 9.
ReplyDelete2. A nighty.
3. Just wait. If I can't get back to sleep, I get up.
4. I nearly always remember them. Varied themes but usually it involves my anxieties.
5. Around 9pm.
6. A good sleep makes me feel better physically and mentally..
1: 6-7 hours though not often in one stretch, though it used to be one stretch.
ReplyDelete2: lightweight pyjamas in summer, thicker pyjamas in winter
3: I pretend I am in a coma and unable to move or wake, thta has me sleeping agin fairly quickly.
4: I rarely remember my dreams, knowing only that I did dream and it was happy rather than scary. I don't have scary nightmares.
5: 10:30-11pm usually, but later if I have had a longish nap in the afternoon, or if the upstairs neighbour decides 11pm is a good time to be rolling her mop around the floors or doing other noisy things that involve much opening and closing of drawers.
6: best thing about sleep? The peace and quiet of the velvety blackness if you are in that state where you are deeply asleep yet aware that you are sleeping, which doesn't happen often and the second best thing is waking up and knowing you have slept well.
1. On average how many hours sleep do you get each night? 7-8.
ReplyDelete2. What do you tend to wear in bed - if anything!? Socks.
3. If you wake up in the middle of the night, how do you get back to sleep? close my yes and drift off most of the time.
4. How often do you remember dreams and what do you tend to dream about? I remember a dream nearly every morning.
5. On a normal night about what time do you go to bed? Between 10PM and 11PM.
6. In your opinion, what is the best thing about sleep? Dreams.
Are your dreams about high end residential architecture and home furnishings?
DeleteSometimes.
DeleteSometimes they're about cats.
1. Seven and a half.
ReplyDelete2. From 14 to 63 naked, and after heart issues that year, since I wear underwear to bed in case I am carted off on a trolley, clutching at my breast .
3. I mostly just fall back to sleep.
4. I don't usually remember dreams, so I don't know what I dream about.
5. I go to bed at 11 but I don't go to sleep until about 11.30.
6. The best thing about bed is I stop thinking.
1. Don't know (irregular sleep pattern)
ReplyDelete2. PJs (leggings+top)
3. Listening to audio books.
4. Dreaming/remembering dreams has varied a lot over the years. (This morning I recalled having dreamed but can't remember what...)
5. Around 11 pm (summer time)
6. The best sleep is probably when one is deep enough into it not to be aware of it (?) - and wake up feeling rested.
1. somewhere between 8 to 10
ReplyDelete2. socks; they help with neuropathy in my feet, which - dammit - only happens when I lie down
3. depends, sometimes I just go back to sleep right away, other times it takes like an hour
4. I remember my dreams only like once a month; there isn't much that repeats, they're mostly a mish-mash of weirdness
5. never before 11:00pm (23:00), often not until 1:00am (01:00)
6. making the world go away
1. On average how many hours sleep do you get each night? 7 or 8 hours.
ReplyDelete2. What do you tend to wear in bed - if anything!? A smile and nothing else.
3. If you wake up in the middle of the night, how do you get back to sleep? Roll over and think about what would I do with a spare billion-dollars.
4. How often do you remember dreams and what do you tend to dream about? Most every night, but I seldom remember them. Some are very bizarre such as, being chased by a flying monkey.
5. On a normal night about what time do you go to bed? I am usually in bed by 10:00 PM, the TV is usually off before 10:30.
6. In your opinion, what is the best thing about sleep? It does the body good.
David always answers his own questions. What are your answers, Neil?
ReplyDelete1. 8
2. pajama pants and a t-shirt
3. just wait until I fall back to sleep
4. I don't always remember my dreams but when I do, I'm often working at a school or supervising students on a field trip.
5. 10 pm
6. when I sleep well and wake up ready for a new day.
1. On average how many hours sleep do you get each night? 7 hours
Delete2. What do you tend to wear in bed - if anything!? Nothing
3. If you wake up in the middle of the night, how do you get back to sleep? If the waking lasts too long, I go downstairs to make a cup of tea - usually with a biscuit. After that I seem to have no trouble going back into the void.
4. How often do you remember dreams and what do you tend to dream about? I rarely remember them. They start to evaporate as soon as waking begins.
5. On a normal night about what time do you go to bed? 1.15am
6. In your opinion, what is the best thing about sleep? The refreshment and entering a welcome break from active thinking.
1. Usually 7-8
ReplyDelete2. A nightshirt, preferably cotton
3. I can normally just close my eyes and fall back asleep
4. I've always dreamed vividly, occasionally lucidly, and can sometimes return to a dream after waking during the night. I rarely have true nightmares (I can remember a few), but my dreams are not always "good". I take a Rx now that makes me have wilder dreams than before.
5. Most nights between 10:30-11:00
6. I have health issues that wear on me, so those blessed nights I don't hurt, it's respite that rejuvenates me for the next day. I do my 3-mile walk as soon as I get up because physically it's downhill from there!
For a long time I used to go to bed early. Sometimes, when I had put out
ReplyDeletemy candle, my eyes would close so quickly that I had not even time to say,
I am going to sleep. And half an hour later the thought that it was time to go
to sleep would awaken me ...
Marcel Proust, Swann's Way.
Clint Walker. Beautiful Dreamer. YouTube.
Written by Stephen Foster ( 1826-1864 ) American composer.
Foster also wrote, I Dream of Jeannie with the Light Brown Hair.
There's a 1935 movie about the life of Stephen Foster.
HARMONY LANE/ The Man Behind America's Most Famous Songs.
YouTube. Cult Cinema Vaults.
About 7 - 7 and half hours
ReplyDeletePyjamas and socks (I can't sleep if my feet are cold)
Most usually I just visit the loo and go straight back to sleep, If I have trouble I may read a little and if I am having an awake night I go downstairs and do some word puzzles
I do dream and quite often they are very vivid that is until I wake up and then I don't seem to remember anything other than the general feeling of the dream, scared, happy sad etc
About 11pm
Waking up the next morning hopefully refreshed and ready for a new day. Days when my hips are bad (painful) the best bit is that I can't feel them when asleep
Jane, Nottinghamshire ( an exiled Yorkshire lass, regular reader)