Home from the pub quiz at "The Robin Hood", Millhouses. I am pleased to report that with my longtime quiz companions - Mick and Mike - we managed to win both the line and the top score on our bingo-style quiz sheets.
I brought my quiz sheet home and here are just ten of the questions that were posed tonight.
1. What was Punch's dog called in Punch and Judy shows?
2. What YCBS was John McEnroe's trademark retort to tennis umpires?
3. To which part of the human body does the term "hepatic" refer?
4. Which nineteenth century novel begins with these words: "Call me Ishmael"?
5. Which actress has starred as Carol Danvers (Captain Marvel) in several major Marvel Cinematic Universe feature films?
6. Which American president was at the heart of The Watergate scandal in the 1970s?
7. In Yorkshire what is the name of the triangle that is bounded by Wakefield, Rothwell and Morley?
8. For which professional football club did David Beckham play his last game?
9. Which British artist had big hits with "Love and Affection" and "Drop the Pilot"?
10. In cricket, what is the term for on-field criticism of the opposition's players?
Here are the answers...
1. Toby
2. You Cannot Be Serious!
3. liver
4. "Moby-Dick"
5. Brie Larsson
6. Richard Nixon
7. The Rhubarb Triangle
8. Paris Saint Germaine
9. Joan Armatrading
10. sledging
It's a good thing I wasn't on your team. I only knew three of those. (3,4,6)
ReplyDeleteMy score is 2.
ReplyDeleteIshmael and Richard Nixon.
Joan Armatrading's Love and Affection (YouTube) took me back to 1973
and a girl I was very fond of ; she studied drama then went to live in Nigeria.
She liked Joan Armatrading, Mahalia Jackson, Bread the soft rock band, and
Bert Jansch.
Jansch mentored the legendary singer Anne Briggs who walked away from fame.
Anne could take a sea shanty like Lowlands Away and sing it as a ballad.
Jansch's biography *Dazzling Stranger* by Colin Harper (2000) brought back
my Glasgow youth. So many listened to Bert, tried to play guitar like Bert.
LOWLANDS Anne Briggs. YouTube.
Anne is still with us, age 81.
I only got 3 right -- "Moby Dick," Brie Larsson, and Richard Nixon. Do I get an additional point for the pedantic knowledge that there should be a hyphen in Moby-Dick?
ReplyDeleteWHY DOES MOBY-DICK (SOMETIMES) HAVE A HYPHEN ?
DeleteThe hunt for the true story behind Melville's hyphen is as mysterious
as the white whale.
Erin Blakemore. Smithsonian Magazine. December 10 2015.
President Trump covets Canada's seabed minerals, offshore fishing
resources, and Arctic maritime routes.
Americans ships intercept Canadian lobster boats in the disputed zone
(277 square miles of ocean) at Machias Seal Island.
The Trump administration is in secret talks with the Metals Company,
a Canadian deep-sea mining corporation.
Rare earth minerals (polymetallic nodules) extracted from the massive
Pacific seabed, are the Great White Whale today.
Trump like Captain Ahab suffers from monomania.
Ahab is a master orator, commands fierce loyalty and is described by
Melville as ... A grand, ungodly, god-like man. (Note the hyphen.)
I didn't know 5,7,8 and 9. I'm guessing if I lived in Sheffield I would have known 7, and maybe (though probably not*), if in England and exposed to a higher level of football news, 8.
ReplyDelete*The equivalent in Sydney would be some big name Rugby League player.
I only knew 2,3,4. Which is better than knowing none!
ReplyDeleteSadly I only got 2,6 and 7 !
ReplyDelete2/10. We had a dog called Toby but still I got that wrong. 6. Good ole Blue Jaw, and I could sledge with the best of them.
ReplyDeleteI only knew two: liver and Nixon. I did read Moby Dick once upon a time but that was 50 years ago...
ReplyDeleteI got five, so I don't qualify, sigh.
ReplyDeleteI got 3,4,5,6 for a perfectly less than middling 40%.,
ReplyDeleteI guessed correctly at a few but really knew only #3, 7 and 9.
ReplyDeleteWell done, you and your friends!
Three correct, 3,4, 6.
ReplyDeleteCongrats!
ReplyDelete9/10 Didn’t get the Marvel Comics
ReplyDelete