5 October 2026

March

On May 1st 1981, five hundred working class British citizens set off walking from Liverpool's pierhead. They were marching to London with purpose. It was "The People's March for Jobs".

One of the main organisers was a fiery trade unionist from Birmingham called Pete Carter. He was admired by many and had a proud history of fighting for workers' rights in what had become Thatcher's Britain. Others felt differently about him - including most members of the ruling class, their newspapers and the aforementioned PM Margaret Thatcher with her deeply conservative cabinet.

Like all public figures, Pete Carter had a private life. He was married with two children - Susan and Michael but that marriage, that family life was breaking apart. Soon Pete would depart, making new relationships and two bitter children who found it difficult to love or forgive him.

Thirty seven  years after the original march, Michael Carter set off from Liverpool with a heavy rucksack and a bunch of ideas. He would follow the exact route of  "The People's March for Jobs" and he would talk to people along the way, observing his surroundings. And he would reflect upon modern Britain and his relationship with his late father. In this process maybe Mike would at last find some peace with Pete Carter.

"All Together Now?" is the story of Mike Carter's long walk but it is also a contemporary portrait of this kingdom, warts and all - focusing on globalisation, immigration, workers' rights, planning laws, industrial history, how the rich get richer while the poor get poorer and personal stuff too. The anger, admiration, hatred and affection that Pete (Mike never calls him Dad) lit in his heart.

I found it a fascinating account and I recognise many of the points that the writer makes about changes in our land. In lots of ways, it is a different country from the one that I grew up in and plenty of those changes are not for the better.

Ar one point this last week I told Shirley that the book was quite depressing, quite brutal. My view of modern Britain would not be quite as glum as that for I see more rays of sunshine and hope than Mike Carter appears to notice but in the final analysis I am afraid that the author really did cut through a lot of pretence - right to the bone. What he writes is deeply political and I must admit - on the whole true.

Here's a taster:-

Alone again, I looked at the council building where in 1981, the men and women of The People's March were billeted on camp beds overnight. Then I looked across the road for the public toilets. Pete had built them, and every time we drove through West Bromwich when I was a kid he would point them out. "I built that," he would say, and as it slid past the window I would think my dad was as important as Isambard Kingdom Brunel or Thomas Telford or any of the great engineers we were reading about at school.

But the toilets were gone. There was now a giant supermarket there. It should not have been a big surprise. Public toilets have been rapidly disappearing from our high streets, with over 1,700 facilities closing in the last decade, as local authorities have been forced to spend their slashed budgets elsewhere. (Page 227)

It almost goes without saying that when those determined participants in "The People's March" reached Number 10, Downing Street after twenty eight days on the road, Margaret Thatcher refused to meet with them. But she was happy to invite the ousted Chilean dictator General Pinochet round for dinner.

11 comments:

  1. I just learned something about what Zohran Mamdani did some years ago which was to go on a hunger strike to support the taxi drivers in NYC. They didn't eat for fifteen days at which point the city caved into most of their demands. Mamdani also got arrested. You may know all about this but in case you don't, there's an article here: https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2025/11/hunger-strike-mamdani-taxi-driver-moment-that-made-him-mayor/
    What he said at the end of the strike reminded me of the protest your post is about today which was, "This is just the beginning of solidarity. We are going to fight together until there is nothing left in this world to win.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so beautiful that the people of New York City elected Zohran Mamdani. Your vulgar president's relationship with him is exceedingly strange.

      Delete
  2. After twenty eight days on the road Margaret Thatcher should have been more polite and at least acknowledged them for five or ten minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of us still despise Thatcher. Her bitter legacy remains.

      Delete
  3. I wasn't aware of this March, somehow Steve never mentioned it to me (but he did tell me a lot about the Miners' Strikes).
    The book sounds an important read. Thank you for the review and your take on the topics covered by the author.
    Your sentence "In lots of ways, it is a different country from the one that I grew up in and plenty of those changes are not for the better" is one I can repeat 1:1 for my country. Germany is not the same country that it was when I was a kid in the 70s and a teenager in the 80s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As in any country, the struggles of ordinary people only seem to get reluctant footnotes in the history books. Even when "The People's March" was happening, the right wing newspapers hardly mentioned it. An exception was "The Daily Mirror".

      Delete
  4. Hopefully the book will be on Audible it sounds interesting. Thatcher's name reverberates through our time sadly, the old Conservatives in love with her, even the present leader of the Conservative Party, you would have thought they had moved on.
    Today, they arrest old people and not miners, something has definitely gone wrong in our society.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a book that is worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like the Jarrow Hunger March all over again. Then MP Ellen Wilkinson was the leader great woman. Her name was legend in my house growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like an interesting book. I can't imagine it would be easy having a father like Pete Carter. Zealots, even good ones, can be hard to love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds interesting. I think Cameron's austerity programs have been disastrous for many public services in the UK -- libraries, community centers, recreation facilities and yes, public toilets.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits