1 October 2026

Striding

Stake Hill Road
This morning I needed to get out of the city, be in the countryside, burn off some calories by undertaking a long circular walk. Breathe in some country air and be alone with my thoughts.

Trouble is, during my retirement I have walked everywhere within shouting distance of Sheffield - every geographical square and pretty much every public footpath. So I have to keep going back to places. None of the thrill of virgin territory but at least I get my steps in - thousands of them. I took my camera too.

My sleek Puddingmobile - a gun metal grey Nissan Juke called Butch - transported me to Hollow Meadows on the A57. Then I turned up Rod Hill and deposited Butch in a little pull-in where I have parked several times before. It's safer to leave my metal companion off the narrow road.

With boots on, I set off on the first day of October in glorious sunshine. The temperature was mild. Fluffy white banks of cumulus clouds lolloped in a north easterly direction, further into Yorkshire. I strode along a moorland track called Stake Hill Road where many of the old drystone walls are ill-maintained these days. There's far less sheep farming than there was in times gone by so there's no practical reason for repairing the walls.

Down into the Bradfield Valley where Dale Dyke Reservoir sprawls innocently trying to keep its terrible secret quiet. It was on the night of March 11th 1864 that its dam burst and three million cubic metres of water surged down the valley to Sheffield causing some 240 deaths and  the destruction of 600 homes.

Then along the valley and up towards Sugworth Hall. I took a rest on a wooden stile and closed my eyes in the honeyed sunshine for five minutes before schlepping up to Boot's Folly. By the way, the Yiddish verb "to schlep" does not have to involve carrying anything. It can just describe slow movement - rather like trudging along.

And then Boot's Folly appeared. Sometimes called Boot's Tower, I have blogged about it before. It occupies a prominent position at the head of the valley. In this picture you can see Dale Dyke Reservoir below...

Soon my circle was complete. Back at Butch I ate an orange and an apple and swigged water from my flask as I read a chapter of "All Together Now?" which no doubt I will review when I have finished it. It continues to engage me.

Then back to Sheffield where I was in time to pick Phoebe up from her school playground. The teacher told me she had been involved in some naughtiness at lunchtime with a classmate - barring some new reception children from the Y1 toilets. Naturally we had words as we walked back up the hill to our house.

The last photograph I snapped today was of Bent's Farm on the edge of the moors. Whimsically, I have often thought that if I ever became wildly rich, that is where I would like to live - in glorious peace but only half an hour from Sheffield city centre. No doubt "The Laughing Horse" Blogging Awards Party would take place there every New Year's Eve.

11 comments:

  1. What a great walk. You enjoy walking by yourself. This would make a good blog topic. I also like walking by myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's wise to get some decent walking in before the weather really turns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read every name on your Blogorama.

    I never once felt that the blogger was repeating herself/himself.
    Bloggers are sempiternal in their curiosity. They face bitter truths.
    They gang their ain gate. Scottish for going your own stubborn way.

    Through a comment here I found a blogger who was stopped by death.
    She said No to a second course of chemo. Last night I read her last post.

    Your photo of Stake Hill Road says much about the paths bloggers take.

    I love roads :
    The goddesses that dwell
    Far along invisible
    Are my favourite gods.

    The hill road wet with rain ...

    Edward Thomas (1878-1917) killed at the Battle of Arras.
    He's buried at Agny Military Cemetery. Northern France.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A really great walk with lovely views and sunshine too. I hope Phoebe learns it isn't nice to bar people from toilets and I hope she feels sorry for doing so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No mention of the Mounjaro for a while. Is it still in the background?

    ReplyDelete
  6. A perfect start of the month for you (apart from having to discuss Phoebe's naughtiness with her). While it was mild here as well, we had some very welcome rain - still nowhere near enough for what our rivers and fields and woods need, but better than nothing. According to statistics, September in my part of Germany saw 73 % less rain than the average for that month, but 49 % more hours of sunshine.
    In German, the verb schleppen has the same meaning as in Yiddish. It can, but doesn't have to, involve carrying something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post, Mr Pudd. Beautiful, big skies.
    I used to hanker after living in the countryside but now I'm glad to be on a bus route with most things very accessible.
    Sounds like Phoebe is finding she has a little power. She'll grow out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely, typically autumnal look with the blue sky and white clouds hanging over the brown moorland. I can almost feel that little chill in the air, despite the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed looking at your walking photos. Like you, I am always searching for some new place to take the dogs for a walk, as I like exploring new territory.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits