26 October 2007

Music

I was tagged by Alkelda the Gleeful of "Saints and Spinners" and asked to list some favourite albums for all the remembered years of my life. I did what she asked and went to Wikipedia but the truth of the matter is that I can often take music or leave it. Between 1963 when my brothers and I were given a copy of "With the Beatles" to share and 1973 when I returned from my South Pacific adventures, I listened avidly to a lot of music, attended many gigs, took "Melody Maker" and "The New Musical Express" and even made it to a few summer festivals - including The Isle of Wight - but since then a lot of music has passed me by and I haven't cared a hoot. I go through phases of making my own music with a guitar and words that well up from the murky depths of my soul and this music means so much more to me than other people's. Recently I have heard "Hey There Delilah" by the Plain White T's - what a brilliantly constructed song! For what it is worth, here is a list of some albums I owned and listened to on the ten year long path from childhood into adulthood:-
1963 With the Beatles - The Beatles
1964 Wednesday Morning, 3 A.M. - Simon and Garfunkel
1965 Mr. Tambourine Man - The Byrds
1966 Blonde on Blonde - Bob Dylan
1967 Days of Future Passed - Moody Blues
1968 This Was - Jethro Tull
1969 Unhalfbricking - Fairport Convention
1970
Sweet Baby James - James Taylor
1971 Blue - Joni Mitchell
1972 Harvest - Neil Young
1973 For Everyman - Jackson Browne

My very first album.

5 comments:

  1. YP: Since you revealed a partial answer to the meme, I'll give you a partial prize. Rather than write two heroic couplets as I'd planned, I'll give you one line of the 8 line poem I'd planned to compose in your honor:

    ...discovers harmonies within the strings

    ReplyDelete
  2. And my first album might have been:

    Meatloaf - Bat out of Hell

    or

    Wombles - Remember you're a Womble.

    I forget which it was now.... but I am sure I could guess!!!

    The first albums I REMEMBER listening to were:

    The tales of Beatrix Potter - Read by Wendy Craig (bless her little cotton socks)

    Wally Whyton - Children's choice!!

    I think your albums are more tasteful than any of mine...... but then I am sure you enjoy reading about why I am such a fugged up kind of fox!! Now you know!!

    FoX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice meme.

    I may have to borrow it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. crumbs, sounds awesome dude! no bob dylan??

    ReplyDelete
  5. 9 of those albums could also be found in my childhood home. Bet you can't guess which weren't?

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits