19 June 2019

φεγγάρι

Last night, we lay down on sunbeds and watched Mrs Moon rise like a tangerine  over The Aegean Sea. To capture the beauty of the scene faithfully I am afraid that I would need to be in possession of a much better camera. How lovely the familiar orb appeared reflected in the water's  ripples. We don't often see the moment the moon pokes its head above the eastern horizon so tonight we waited for her a second time.

Earlier today we boarded a water "taxi" that chugged around the rocky headland on which Ancient Thira sits. We were deposited in the next bay in the village of Kamara. Here's Shirley by the highest village church:-
Three hours after arrival, it was time to go back. Near the beach I spotted an old lady picking leaves from stalks outside a beachfront taverna. She reminded me of the traditional Greece I knew before - of old men with donkeys and old widows in black. I asked a waitress if she could get me permission to take a few pictures of the happy old lady. She was most obliging.

After snapping the pictures I showed her them and she seemed delighted. She kissed my hand and I kissed hers. The leaves were wild caper leaves for use in traditional recipes. The waitress told me that the old lady was more than ninety years old and that when she was young she was considered to be very beautiful. I said that in my opinion she was still beautiful now.
P.S. φεγγάρι = moon

17 comments:

  1. I love your description on the moonrise. How lovely. And the blue, blue sea and skies you keep capturing with your camera is lovely too.

    The old woman IS very beautiful! It's hard to believe she's over 90 years old. I'm glad she let you take her picture and share it with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to take pictures of people but it is tricky to do that without their permission.

      Delete
  2. I love the picture of the lady with the leaves. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I say Bonnie, her face and her attire spoke of a different Greece, a different Santorini before modernity struck.

      Delete
  3. I can see from the bone structure of this lovely lady that she was and still is beautiful. She looks so contented.
    Looks like you are both having a wonderful time, enjoy.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The waitress told me that the old lady still gives orders and advice in the kitchen of that taverna. She is loved.

      Delete
  4. Re yesterday’s post about crime fiction: you must try Elizabeth George (the thinking man’s crime writer!)
    Also this brilliant book (now becoming a TV series) “Big Little Lies” by Liane Moriarty: a who done it with a difference, because you don’t know who got done in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the tips Margaret. I might right my own crime novel about an insightful West Yorkshire-based detective called Inspector Butterworth though butter would not melt in her mouth. I will dress her in Harris Tweed and brogues.

      Delete
    2. You will need a good editor if you cant spell "write".

      Delete
    3. Oops! You are write Margaret!

      Delete
  5. If my skin will still look like hers then, I want to get to 90+, too!
    There is a special beauty about old people, I think. It makes me sad when they neglect themselves and their personal hygiene (or are neglected when they can not do it all on their own anymore), but an old person who takes pride in their appearance and has regular showers and freshly laundered clothes is admirable.
    I've been watching the moon rise a few times this week; not yesterday, as a thunderstorm was brewing and the sky was heavy with inky clouds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure that you will look radiant when you are ninety Meike. OK or your sister will have to push your wheelchair.

      Delete
  6. A lovely picture of the old lady - it would be interesting to know how she looked when younger. Another subject for a water colour YP?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would be better to try her in oils CG.

      Delete
  7. Lovely, indeed! :)

    On Saturday, I'm going to be a guest at a special luncheon celebration at a restaurant up here on the hill. The restaurant is called "George's Paragon"...their menu has leaning towards Greek/Mediterranean, mainly seafood.

    Our party will be be a party of 12...celebrating the birthday of one...the mother of a good friend of mine. She, the mother - the star of the day - turns 102 years of age on Saturday. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that sounds as though it will be a delightful occasion for you Lee. The chef had better be on his or her mettle on Saturday!

      Delete
  8. Fantastic shot of the leaf collector!

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits