17 July 2012

France


Oh dear, it's been so very long since my last holiday abroad, I think I deserve a break, don't you? Anyway, I have booked budget air tickets to Carcassonne in France with that famous luxury airline - Ryanair. We leave tomorrow morning - just me and our daughter Frances. Shirley's back at work - earning money to keep me in the manner to which I have become accustomed.

All being well, we'll pick up a hire car from the airport and then drive forty miles westwards to my brother's peaceful country retreat in the foothills of The Pyrenees - not far from the town of Foix in the L'Ariege region. Blogger friend Jenny de Wrexham has been there a couple of times but I haven't been since my brother Robin and his girlfriend Suzy built a swimming pool. Frances has never been there and to be truthful she probably deserves a break much more than I do. She's has been beavering away since last September at her recruitment consultant job in Leeds.

I'll be back next Sunday - the 22nd - hopefully with some new photos to share with you so once again this blog won't be refreshed for a while. Au revoir mes amis!
A view of Robin and Suzy's property (2007)

9 comments:

  1. The word Carcassonne always gives me mixed feelings... It takes me back to being at school and my school class trip destination...a French beauty..walled and wonderful.....this was of course many many years ago.....and for a number of reasons I couldn't go.......I watched all of my schoolmates get on to the coach and I waved them off......one day I might get there.....................anyway....what a lovely trip to make with your daughter YP...enjoy and have a fabulous time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LIBBY Thank you gracious lady. I have been to the walled cite of Carcassonne twice before and each time it was thronging with tourists so you remembered the crowd more than the medieval beauty of the place. Shame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I'm 'well jel' as they say. Keith and I still haven't been able to sort out any plans for holidays yet. Enjoy the swimming pool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. mind you don't run over any carpet tacks thrown in the road by over zealous Tour De France "fans"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is probably too late and you may have already thought about it, but if you going to Carcassone you might want to read Labyrinth by Kate Mosse while you're there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gadabout!

    (And, yes, it is totally sour grapes on my part.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely read 'Labyrinth' by Kate Moss, whether you go to Carcassonne or not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oo la la mes amis... Je suis en La France maintenant avec un tasse du vin rouge. Le soliel est brille et la ciel est bleu. Je voudrais lire "Labyrinth". Merci Madame Aspin et Monsieur Rhodes pour la recommendation et Bon Jour Monsieur Brague - mon petit chou! Renard Arctique! Fermez la bouche!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If la soliel were not brille and la ciel were not bleu, that would be newsworthy. As it is, your correspondence reminds me of my first-year French primer. But un tasse du vin rouge -- now you're talking!

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits