23 May 2013

Radar

 Sorry. If you read this blog regularly, you're probably fed up with my tales from Thailand and Sri Lanka. "Oh here he goes again!"

They say that only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun. So it was on Koh Lanta. I planned a six mile walk in the tropical heat and because my lovely New Zealand bush hat had been stolen weeks before, I needed something to protect my head from solar attack. A bandana! That was the solution. My very first bandana. Well I wasn't go to wear the stars and stripes one or a Bob Marley memorial bandana or anything with flowers so I plumped for the military camouflage design in various shades of orange and yellow.  Cool! As I strolled along in the sweltering heat, I guess I was the spitting image of Johnny Depp! Pirate of the Andaman. From Khlong Nin to Kantiang Bay I trudged.

Just as radar screens blink when aircraft appear so my eyes have a habit of logging on to errors in signage. Usually, I am cameraless when I spot these mistakes but on that particular day in the village of Kantiang I snapped two beauties. See the one at the top. Look carefully. I'm pleased I didn't venture in to the "Alama" but I guess the real Johnny Depp would have loved it!.."Yeah, I think I'll have the bugger! Does it come with relish?"

And below, the Sureewan Massage and Beauty shop showed the imaginative diversification of their business model - embracing taxis, haircuts, a laundry and...a "ronning" service. I think they meant "ironing" rather than providing personal services to any passing gentlemen named Ronald.

14 comments:

  1. I think a bandana with flowers would suit you very well, YP. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. JENNY Maybe you are right. Perhaps I should have been more daring. It would have gone nicely with my wild flower pyjamas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I quite like the idea of a massage taxi which must make for a more relaxing journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spotted it straight away. A pizza with pasta?

    ReplyDelete
  5. SHOOTING PARROTS Especially if there was a happy ending to your passage through the forbidding streets of Manchester.
    COLUMNIST No thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HIPPO Err...no! Try again. Just remember Sandhurst.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dream on and keep on dreaming. Johnny Depp. I don't think so. Maybe I'm wrong show us a photo.

    I'm not a shirt lifter but can see the attraction of Johnny Depp. Bet he is hard to pull though. So just as well I still fancy Uma Thurman. She is very hard to pull.








    ReplyDelete
  8. ADRIAN I am not sure that the term "shirt lifter" is politically correct. We will possibly see what our chief North Wales correspondent has to say about that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YP..You should enable replies. There are so many loonies around your posts that the replies demand threads.

    PS> I thought Shirt Lifter was polite. I was on my best behaviour. I didn't sully your post with Uphill Gar...er. I'M SORRY.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yorkshire pudding in a bandanna... bet you looked EXACTLY like a Clootie dumpling in a cloth.

    Meanwhile, the idea of you looking even vaguely like Johnny Depp, has me deeply, depply interested... any chance of a photo?

    LLX

    ReplyDelete
  11. ADRIAN Sheffield is probably England's hilliest city so when you are a gardener you will often find yourself hoeing uphill. Is that what you meant?
    JAN BLAWAT Well spotted ma'am!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LETTICE If you want a photo, you'll have to contact my agent.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits