26 August 2013

Off

On Monday morning Shirley and I will travel to a distant foreign land where the natives' English is unintelligible and strange customs are practised. A land of pale ginger people where the men wear chequered skirts and landlords call pints of bitter pints of heavy. Here are three picture clues...
a)
b)
c) 
Yes my friends, you have guessed it! Bonnie Scotland, land of midges and highland cattle, white vinegar and cockaleekie soup. We will stay for three nights in a small cottage - Plum Tree Cottage - near the Border town of Kelso before driving up to St Andrews where Shirley wants to attend a study day on diabetes at the famous university. Then on our way back home next Saturday we plan to stop over with our old friends Steve and Moira in the Northumberland town of Alnwick - recently made famous because Alnwick Castle was converted to Hogwarts School for the Harry Potter films.

So you will be pleased to learn that my blogging activity may be limited over the next few days. Apart from anything else, I don't think they yet have electricity in Scotland. Only kidding - they probably discovered it if you believe everything that blubbery Alex Salmond, leader of the Scottish Nationalist Party says. Away the noo!
Pictures:-  a) a haggis b) a furry sporran c) Scotch whisky named after the national poet

16 comments:

  1. What are those hairy things?

    No comment about picture number 1. I do know who Robert Burns was. Have quoted "Oh my luve's like a red, red rose" a few times when courting - always successfully!

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those hairy things are called balls David. I am not sure that you have them over in America.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, we just grow a pair whenever necessary. :)

      Delete
  3. Have a good journey. I recommend using the A68, the old Great North Road. If you use the M6 then turn off at Moffat and take the A708. Stop for a pint at the Tibbie Shiels Inn. The beer is just about manageable but the view makes up for it's shortcomings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you have a few bra' brit moonlit nits while you're in the highlands. When combined with hairy balls, 'tis sure to give Shirley a trip to remember. And perhaps yourself as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh fantastic. I'm known as Lady Helsie in Scotland since I became a landholder a few years ago (http://helsieshappenings.blogspot.com.au/2010/02/this-photo-was-taken-couple-of-years.html ).
    If you would like to drop in on my landholding for a picnic you are most welcome. There may only be room for one of you to sit down at a time as the property is small.
    Hope the weather is kind and the midges don't like the taste of your Yorkshire blue blood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Safe travels, and hope you both enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a great time - hope the weather holds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hopefully you can answer a question that's been nagging at me for years. Whose nerve would crack first when it's time to get a round in - a Yorkie or a Scot?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Give my love to Lochinver. Have a good trip.

    LLX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you mean the place(click here) or the person (see below):

      "Oh, young Lochinvar is come out of the West,—
      Through all the wide Border his steed was the best,
      And, save his good broadsword, he weapon had none,—
      He rode all unarmed, and he rode all alone.
      So faithful in love, and so dauntless in war,
      There never was knight like the young Lochinvar."
      --Sir Walter Scott

      Yorky is confused enough as it is. You must make yourself absolutely clear.

      Delete
    2. No! I mean the Sutherland Lochinver. Look it up it's a blooming long way, I used to live 10 miles north along the coast from there, top left hand corner almost.

      LLX

      Delete
    3. Oh, how silly and uninformed of me! I really thought you had misspelled Lochinvar! That will teach me to stick my nose where it isn't needed....

      Delete
    4. No worries; it's quite refreshing it isn't my nose this time.

      LLX

      Delete
  10. I kinda envy you. I am a big fan of (a), the Haggis; but not of (b), or (c).

    ReplyDelete
  11. That haggis picture makes me feel ill........have a great time YP..I envy you going to Alnwick..such a lovely part of the world.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits