19 April 2015

Wolds

Rabbits at Castle Farm near Tealby
Shirley is heavily involved with The Women's Institute. She is even going to attend the centenary Buckingham Palace Garden Party in June and as I write this post she is at the  Meadowhall Shopping Palace on the edge of  Sheffield in search of a suitable frock. 

Anyway, because she had a WI event on Friday night and another on Saturday morning, I decided that this was a good opportunity for me to do something I have been planning for a while. I drove over to Lincolnshire and had a five or six mile circular walk in the low country west of The Lincolnshire Wolds. I parked up in the village of Owmby-by-Spital and returned there three hours later. It was a lovely stroll and again I saw many delightful things.

But that walk was just a prelude for Saturday's ramble. 

From Owmby-by-Spital I drove to Market Rasen where I had booked bed and breakfast in "The Red Lion" on King Street. Friday evening curry in "The Gate of India" and then three pints of Thwaites Best Bitter in "The Aston Arms" in the marketplace meant that I was ready to sleep like a log.

The full English breakfast in the morning made a nice change from muesli and a banana. Besides, I needed some extra fuel on board for the major walk I had planned and was soon on my way to the village of Tealby on the western edge of the rolling chalk wolds.
Woldland - see the chalk pieces like snow
After parking, I wandered up to the honey-coloured village church which stands in an impressive position overlooking parishoners' homes. I met  the church warden and he let me in to see the interior of All Saints which can trace its history back to pre-Norman times so parts of the church are more than a thousand years old. I chatted to the church warden for a while and he told me that they had recently received a grant of £51,000 to fix the chancel roof. Interestingly, he also said that the current turnout for Sunday services is around twenty five. As in many other English villages, the ancient church is becoming financially unsustainable. There's erosion, weather and old age to contend with. We both shook our heads.
A quiet corner in Tealby Church
I began my long Lincolnshire Wolds ramble at ten o' clock and didn't get back to my car till five in the evening. The weather was gorgeous and the spring sunshine perfect for capturing lovely images along the way.

The route took me to Walesby, Normanby-le-Wold, Thoresway, Stainton-le-Vale, Kirmond-le-Mire and then back to Tealby. Of course it wasn't all walking. There were photographs to take and churches to enter and for twenty minutes I sat on a bench in Thoresway churchyard to consume a humble lunch - bag of salt and vinegar crisps, banana, chocolate wafer biscuit and a bottle of water.

To use a colourful English expression, I was well and truly "knackered" by the end of the walk though my late mother would have instead used the term "jiggered". But it was a splendid fatigue for I felt like an explorer who has just discovered a new country - the understated and undervisited Lincolnshire Wolds - a rolling chalkland of peaceful beauty with many whispers from long ago. I shall be back.
Lincolnshire Longwool lamb
The Ramblers'Church, Walesby
Stained glass window  inside The Ramblers' Church
(formerly All Saints Church)
In Stainton-Le Vale
Abandoned dwelling in woods east of Normanby-le-Wold
Airforce radar station high on The Wolds
Front door of the derelict Manor House in Kirmond le Mire
East Lodge on the way back to Tealby

17 comments:

  1. Church attendance might be falling because those who are inclined to go are sitting home in their jammies on a Sunday morning reposting cheesy Jesus sayings on their Facebook page instead. For all the rednecks here who use Christianity to put down anyone they don't like, you'd think churches would be overflowing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. England seems to be in a post-religious phase unless you happen to be a Muslim.

      Delete
  2. The second picture drew me into this ramble.

    I must admit it is a pity that churches are falling into disrepair. Is the C of E short of money? I would be surprised if they were but then I don't suppose there is much call for their selling absolutions these days. They need to find a new line to hawk to the ignorant and misguided.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps you could take an old church over Adrian. It could be a learning centre for macro-photography and where the altar used to be you could install a bar. Anyone misbehaving would have his head shoved in the font.

      Delete
  3. There is something quite disconcerting with that first pic ~ between focus and perspective ~ it doesn't look quite real. Congratulations to Shirley BTW. Hope she picked our a lovely frock for the event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rabbits are always disconcerting Carol - until you braise them with onions. And no she didn't buy her dress. When it comes to decision making about clothes she is as much good as The United Nations is at solving military conflicts. Three hours at Meadowhall and she returns empty-handed apart from a new mobile phone because her other one was playing up. (Replacement under guarantee)

      Delete
  4. Another lovely part of Merrie Olde to put on my wishlist. Thanks for the rambles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kate. If England is "Merry Olde", what is New Zealand? "New Fangled"?

      Delete
  5. Seeing the picture of the abandoned dwelling in the woods already made me catch my breath, but my heart truly skipped a beat at the sight of the old manor house front door! Now that will be a place for me to dream of today while I'll be attending lengthy meetings with technical discussions that are a little bit above my level of knowledge (I can follow, but not contribute).

    Finding an outfit for a Buckingham Palace garden party - now, that is a challenge I would love to have put in front of me! I am sure Shirley will find something that suits her well. She is a beautiful woman and won't have trouble fitting in anything; the few glimpses I've had of her on your blog so far, she is in very good shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the lengthy meetings, I hope that they didn't put you on the spot and ask you delving questions about technical matters. Much nicer to push open the old manor house door and tiptoe inside to commune with the ghosts of yesteryear that inhabit those now cobwebbed and neglected rooms. Once upon a time...and far from here...

      Delete
  6. Lovely walk, great photos, a sheep which has escaped from your back garden, washing on the clothes line outside East Lodge (nice detail) and that wonderful door.


    Ms Soup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you spotted the washing line Alphie. It was a conscious choice to get it in the picture. As I passed the cottage a woman was busy hanging it out. When she saw me she ran inside shouting "Begone Devil!"

      Delete
  7. That certainly wasn't a "ramble"! It was more like a marathon....a fruitful marathon, at that!

    And I note that Dr. Who has returned from his latest escapade!

    I love the door photo...a wonderful shot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have spent the past 40 minutes walking with you, Mr. Pudding. Lovely, lovely land and landmarks. I am very happy that you did not make me carry Peep! You need a dog. I have never had a canine that ever got tired of walking or running. Even this tiny little pup we have now!

    Oh, I wish we lived close to you and Shirley. She looks about the same size as me and we could get together, go fabric shopping and whip up a wonderful garden party dress. Nothing I like more than making a fine linen summer dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are such a romantic Mama Thyme - with fanciful notions - just like me! Glad you enjoyed this walk too. I rather fear that you and Shirley would not stop talking! Big Bear and I would have to drink beer out on the deck.

      Delete
  9. The Outlaws (until this year, they have moved to Warkworth) spent ever New Year's Eve in a caravan in Walesby, having a raucous night under the stars with old friends. We, in the meantime, would be in their lovely comfortable house keeping it warm for their very silent and jaded return. Heaven only knows what goes on up there, but we were never allowed to accompany them!

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits