22 December 2021

Fhsaihno

Yesterday, the promised broken sunshine never happened. A thick layer of cloud blanketed our part of the planet on what was the shortest day of the year in this hemisphere. Now, day by day, the light will return.

I drove to the foot of Mam Tor - the shivering mountain - at the far end of The Hope Valley. Clint was also shivering as I donned my walking boots and set off. "Don't be too long!" he called after me as I grinned peevishly to myself, knowing I wouldn't be back for at least two and a half hours.

Climbing up the valley side to Hollins Cross I needed to urinate so I removed my woollen, fingerless gloves and watered a lonesome sycamore tree. It may have been there that I managed to lose my left glove. No doubt I hadn't pushed it  deeply enough into my coat pocket. I just hate losing things and it rarely happens.

I walked along The Great Ridge and up to the summit of Mam Tor. Often when I am out rambling in the countryside I don't see another soul but yesterday there were plenty of people about in what is one of the most popular areas in the entire Peak District.

Winnats Pass

Factored into my circuitous route, I planned to do something I had never done before - walk down Winnats Pass. It is a remarkable little valley. 340 million years ago it was in fact a gap in a primordial coral reef but now it is a solidified feature of the limestone landscape. I have driven up and down it dozens of times but never walked  its entire length.

Halfway down the valley, I spotted a woollen hat that some unfortunate rambler had dropped. My moral compass said, "Pick it up and take it home!" so that is what did. Confucius say: In life one may  sometimes lose a glove before finding a hat. The hat smells new and is possibly Chinese. We have many Chinese university students in Sheffield and the label on the front  reads "SONG TING - The Poiener of Fhsaihno Rendts" I understand it is meant to read "The Pioneer of Fashion Trends" but hey, who cares about accuracy?

Cow grazing on the slopes of The Hope Valley

It was 3.45pm when I returned to Clint and the longest night of the year was already beginning to seep over the hills. It had not been a great afternoon for photography but at least I got some good exercise ahead of the excesses of Christmastime.

Last night, we received the glum news from London that Ian's girlfriend Sarah has tested positive for COVID so for the second year running he will not be with us for Christmas. Once again, he was so looking forward to being back in his home city and he had bought an array of gifts. In turn, I had bought the two of them football match tickets and theatre tickets too. It is now unlikely that these will be used. What a damned rotter Senor COVID has proven to be!

The entrance to Speedwell Cavern - a limestone show cavern at the bottom of Winnats Pass

29 comments:

  1. Ho yse, is't llovey aronud Catstelon. Is't teh frits palec I vere wnte waklign. Hwo od I gte ym hta bcka.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps accuracy does matter after all!

      Delete
  2. mi rrosy atuob Crhtmassi. dicov ksucs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the last two words but the first two.

      Delete
  3. We are waiting on test results, Briony's whole staffroom is positive so it seems unlikely she will escape. Covid spoils plans but I keep telling myself things are not cancelled, just on hold.

    Have a lovely Christmas, Mr Pudding

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we will try Kylie but we will miss our Ian... again! Sorry to hear about Briony's situation.

      Delete
  4. Winnats Pass looks beautiful. I also appreciate the geological info that you include. Hope Mrs. Pudding enjoys her new toque, or beanie in England.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She will be making a real fashion statement.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous2:33 am

    It looks like a steep walk to me.

    I don't suppose your gloves are of pioneer fashion trend so you may have ended up better off.

    Sorry about Sarah. Planning at the moment seems so pointless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hillside is pretty steep but I took my time and had two or three rests on the way up. I needed new fingerless gloves anyway.

      Delete
  6. I'm afraid many people will find themselves in Ian's situation. This will pass , someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some day - over the rainbow... a land that I dream of.

      Delete
  7. I sure hope that Ian's girlfriend's experience with Covid is a mild one. Things are getting sticky again.
    Good for you on the walk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the moment she is not experiencing any of the usual symptoms. They have both had three vaccinations.

      Delete
  8. I am sure your first Christmas with Phoebe will be extra special, although of course you will all be missing Ian and Sarah.
    We have all been fully vaccinated but will still self-test tomorrow morning to make sure we do not endanger our parents. Hopefully, all test results will be negative.
    Great pictures, no matter the grey sky! Isn't it exciting to finally walk a route where so far you have always only been driving? I love looking at paths from the train and thinking about walking them, and some time last year, I have started walking some of them for real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you I long to walk the paths I see when racing by in a car or notice from the window of a train. So many secrets. Did you get an envelope from me yet Meike?

      Delete
    2. No, not yet - and I must admit I did not send one this year to you :-(

      Delete
  9. Merry Christmas to you and your family, even those ones stuck in London, we are living on the same knife edge here as well with continuous testing. 'Joyeux Noel' Little Phoebe will love the experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ding dong merrily on high
      In heaven the COVID's spreading!

      Happy Christmas to you too Thelma.

      Delete
  10. It didn't look a good day for walking, but you made it! The Speedwell Cavern looked warm and welcoming - just what you needed after a chilly, one-gloved, walk.
    Sorry to hear that Ian won't be with you again this Christmas - hope he doesn't succumb to the virus too. So many families will be facing the same situation that you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's going to share his Christmas with Sarah - even if he catches the dreaded lurgy.

      Delete
  11. Too bad about the tickets. Maybe you can turn them in for a later show or something? I'm sure Ian and Sarah will be fine but it is a damned nuisance.

    I LOVE THAT HAT! I'm so jealous! It's like someone made the phrase "Pioneer of Fashion Trends" out of Scrabble tiles and then tossed them randomly and printed whatever came up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha-ha! I laughed at your notion of how that company made its slogan.

      HEED SERPENT! is an anagram of your name.

      Delete
  12. Nice part of the Peak District. It's great to go for a walk around Christmas time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to go for a walk with you Dave but not a romantic walk!

      Delete
  13. According to google, I've been all around the Peaks District but didn't know it existed until today. Looks like a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is England's oldest national park Ed and right on my doorstep too.

      Delete
  14. So sorry your Christmas has been disrupted. Things look quite grim in London re Covid cases. Do hope you have a lovely Christmas despite that. I am sure with the wee babe and her first Christmas, it will be magical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel sorry for Ian. He was so looking forward to having some peaceful downtime in Sheffield and reconnecting with old friends.

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits