18 December 2022

Chögyam

There are many different reasons why we might read a particular book. For example, it may have been recommended to us. We might have spotted it in a bookshop. It might have been required reading on a school or university course. We may have heard mention of it on the radio.

In the case of "Dragon Thunder: My Life With Chögyam Trungpa" I read it for one simple reason - namely that the author, Diana Mukpo, was born on the very same day as me in the very same year.  I ordered the book via Amazon and it arrived three or four days later. The subject matter had some appeal for me as it concerned Buddhism and its establishment in The West.

Chögyam Trungpa or Ripoche as he is usually referred to in this tome was born in Tibet in 1939 and was heir to a line of Buddhist meditation masters. He was a special, chosen one but had to escape Tibet in 1959 when he was twenty years old. The Chinese were advancing. Eventually he made it to Great Britain where he studied at Oxford before establishing a Buddhist spiritual centre in south west Scotland.

He met his wife to be  - Diana Pybus in London. She was a rebellious teenager and they married in January of 1970. Soon she was a vital player in his educational projects. It wasn't long before they moved to America where they had four sons together.

It was as if she was bewitched. Many people who came into contact with Ripoche found him magnetic and inspirational. As years went by the influence of his teachings and his very presence saw his movement flourish. He died in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1987 at the age of 48.  For years his health had been troublesome - not helped by heavy drinking, a serious car accident and irregular hours.

Chögyam Trungpa and Diana Pybus around the time of their marriage

It has taken me a long while to read "Dragon Thunder: My Life With Chögyam Trungpa" but I got there in the end. Previously I had had a vision of Buddhism as a simple faith rooted in nature and simple living but the book points to laborious teachings, academic  lessons and intricate internal politics. There is money to be made, houses to be bought  and there are plane tickets to be booked.

Diana and Ripoche's boys lived rather strange lives - often separated from their parents for weeks or months on end - as for example during the long periods when Diana trained in Europe to be an expert in dressage. The Spanish Riding School in Vienna and all that.

Just as Ripoche had affairs with a string of his students so Diana Mukpo struck up with Mitchell Levy. a Jewish doctor who had attached himself to the Buddhist Shambhala International group. They even had a child together. Her marriage to Ripoche was unusual to say the least.

There is much more that I could say about this book that has lived we me for many weeks - always asking to be read. I felt rather distant and removed from the contents, not finding signals to the Buddhist equilibrium I had been hoping to sniff out.

Diana Pybus was born at the same time as me but the life she has lived has been very different. It was as if she joined a club all those years ago but I don't think that  I ever did. I have always resisted the temptation to join anything and ultimately I am afraid that I would have probably viewed Chögyam Trungpa as a bit of a charlatan in spite of the fact that he undoubtedly played a large part in establishing Buddhism in The West.

25 comments:

  1. Every faith is corrupted by the people who practice it. having said that, they say Buddhism is a philosophy and it can be practiced alongside a faith of your choosing.
    I think the book sounds fascinating

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not so much about faith, belief and the serenity that Buddhism might bring you but about the back story, machinations, relationships etc.. It always held my attention.

      Delete
  2. He sounds like a seriously messed up individual, an alcoholic who happened to be a buddhist teacher. He must have been a very heavy drinker to die at 48.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He and Diana arrived in North America with nothing but gradually he built up a vast network of followers, students and sponsors. It was quite an achievement really. There were schools and study centres, house and temples and his legacy lives on.

      Delete
  3. It doesn't sound like something I would read. I prefer fiction, where I can get lost in pretence, imagining myself as part of the story. I have read a few autobiographies that caught my eye on the shelf at the bookstore, they seemed funny by title and by reading the blurb on the back, but one wasn't as funny as I'd hoped. (Don't Tell Mum I Work on the Rigs, She Thinks I'm a Piano Player in a Whorehuse) an okay read but I'll never read it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of my work as an English teacher involved examining fiction so for this reason I split my reading between fiction and non-fiction. I especially like good travel writing.

      Delete
  4. Charlatan is a good description - he doesn't sound the epitome of a Spiritual leader.
    Not a book for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unless you were especially fascinated by Buddhism in The West, I wouldn't recommend it.

      Delete
  5. It sounds like a very unreal kind of existence to me. As you say, there was money to be made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She kept referring to romantic and family love and yet she was often not there. Her kids must have had a hell of an upbringing. I doubt that the Lord Buddha would have approved.

      Delete
  6. I don't think I could/would read it YP. I have so many half read books on my book shelves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could set up a Buddhist retreat on The Sheep's Head Peninsula. You could be Abbot Dave. You would have to shave your head and wear an orange sheet. Your wife could be Head Nun and your sons could be monks. There's a lot of money to be made from Buddhism.

      Delete
  7. I have many mixed reactions to most religions. One feeling says it is wrong to adopt another religion just because it appeals. But...... people take on these expressions of belief. There is a strong seeking for something in modern life, mostly, given the nature of seeking mindfulness people turn to Buddhism. I would ask the question has Western society corrupted Buddhism? As for your book, yes he was probably a charlatan, he had something to sell and the fools fell for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they were fools there were lots of them. More than hundreds.

      Delete
  8. Ummm...
    No. Hard pass on that one.
    I think it would make me angry and sad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How did you learn of the author in the first place? Were you looking specifically for authors sharing your birthday? And can you find one for me, born on 22.03.1968?
    I am sure the book is a fascinating account of unusual lives, but I'll give it a pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you for giving it a pass. I didn't really sell it did I? Sorry I could not find any authors born on 22.3.68 but I did discover that on that day "Lady Madonna" by The Beatles was No.1 in Britain's music charts.

      Delete
  10. There is actually one over on Beara YP. I jest not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew about that one. I have heard that there Newcastle Brown Ale is given out freely to the monks.

      Delete
  11. Did he establish the Shambhala centers? I attended one in NYC a couple of times, but ultimately I joined a Zen group instead. All different forks of the same path, I guess. Buddhist leaders are surprisingly (or not) just as prone to human failings as the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. He sowed the seeds of the Shambhala movement in North America. Boulder, Colorado was an important centre. "Dragon Thunder" never seemed to focus in on core beliefs and ways of living. I will mail you the book if you are interested. I will never read it again and I don't know anybody else who might.

      Delete
  12. DNA unzipped.
    You were born the day James Watson's book The Double Helix appeared.
    When Watson saw it was an actual helix he went out to a party in Oxford and kissed a girl.

    Harold Wilson, a good and great Yorkshireman, was Prime Minister and told President Johnson that Britain would not support the Vietnam War.
    If only Blair had stood up to George W and kept us out of Iraq.

    The hit song on your birth day was Otis Redding's Sitting on the Dock of the Bay.
    Yester me. Yester You. Yesterday. (Stevie Wonder)
    Unforgettable songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was born fourteen years before "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay" was written.

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits