19 September 2007

CD

I'm making a CD for mum's cremation service following the church service in the village where I was born and where she lived for fifty four years. She will be cremated high on the Yorkshire Wolds and as the coffin enters the crematorium, there'll be the second movement of Dvorak's New World Symphony and then this short Fairport Convention song:-

Farewell, farewell to you who would hear
You lonely travellers all
The cold north wind will blow again
The winding road does call


And will you never return to see
Your bruised and beaten sons?
"Oh, I would, I would, if welcome I were
For they love me, every one"


And will you never cut the cloth
Or drink the light to be?
And can you never swear a year
To anyone of we?


"No, I will never cut the cloth
Or drink the light to be
But I'll swear a year to one who lies
Asleep along side of me"


Farewell, farewell to you who would hear
You lonely travellers all
The cold north wind will blow again
The winding road does call


As we say our last goodbye, I hope the CD will bring us Vera Lynn singing "The White Cliffs of Dover". Earlier in the church I am expected to deliver a secular eulogy. I hope I am up to it. I have cried salt tears this week. I want to do it for her. Not to break down. You can do it boy! You can do it!

11 comments:

  1. No one will think any less of you if you do.
    Thinking of you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you can do it. Of course you can weep if you want. She was your mum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:49 pm

    Cry if you want to Yorkie.

    There's no rules anywhere saying a Yorkshire man doesn't cry. She was your mom and you understandably feel pain.

    Keeping you in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you made a few moments to come back and give us a few words.

    You've been missed round these internet parts old pal.

    Good luck with everything.

    FoX

    ReplyDelete
  5. a friend of mine spoke at the funeral of someone close to him. He was a complete wreck the morning up to the funeral but when he found himself behind the lectern he said it was as if he had eaten a whole packet of fishermans friends and he was able to speak as clearly and ludidly as he ever had been able to because those things he was saying had to be said and he was the one to say them and the person he was saying them to was laying just a few feet away and he'd never get the chance to say those things again. You'll be fine my friend and you'll do your mum proud

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:28 pm

    Good luck, mate, I am sure you don't need it, you will do just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. langtoft is, for such a sad place, inspiring,the ideal venue for a celebration of a life with its wide open rolling countryside.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You'll do it, YP and you will do it well. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cry away, YP - what else is there to do? All best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck Yp. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That CD is a really lovely idea. The care you're taking to select the right music and then burn the CD is a revealing indication of your feelings. Yep - blubbing is allowed.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits