27 May 2008

Celebration

Yesterday, Shirley and I returned to Hull for the victory celebrations. Along with 50,000 others gathered in Victoria Square, we welcomed The Tigers home and sang their praises. The match winning hero, Hull lad Dean Windass - climbed over the safety barrier on the City Hall balcony to stand bravely on the narrow parapet with the Play Off Final trophy held aloft in his outstretched arms. No wonder entrpreneurial T-shirt sellers had produced hundreds of Superman shirts with "Windass 9" on the back. This was undoubtedly the biggest single day in Hull's history since the city was badly bombed by the German Luftwaffe during World War II. The city of Hull has had so many knocks in recent years. This sporting success has already given the city a tremendous lift. To see scenes of the victory celebrations click on the link below:-

And here are the scenes at Wembley as Dean Windass struck the winning goal:-

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/video.html?id=2336

Three of my own pictures:-

Victoria surveys the uncouth masses.

"Hull Daily Mail" news vendor in his booth with stacks of souvenir editions.

On the balcony of The City Hall, Chairman Paul Duffen and manager Phil Brown hold the trophy aloft.

2 comments:

  1. MEMEMEME

    Finish The Sentence:

    My ex...
    Maybe I should...
    I love...
    People would say...
    I don't understand...
    When i wake up in the morning...
    I lost...
    Life is full of...
    My past is...
    I get annoyed when...
    Parties are...
    I wish...
    Dogs...
    Cats...
    Tomorrow...
    I have low tolerance...
    If I had a million dollars...
    I'm totally terrified...

    There you go sir ! Indulge

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting for Hullerites! But sad to hear about Winnie...
    Looking forward to seeing the end of the sentences.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits