22 May 2018

Back

Back home in Yorkshire now. It was a good holiday but there were some negatives. I might blog about them another day. But for today, I just want to share a few more photographs from our week on Corfu. That's one of the nice things about blogging - you can showcase images that might otherwise disappear into the digital ether - never to be seen again.

A blog can be like a personal journal - of life passing by - just like written journals that devoted diarists once scribbled in -  reflecting  upon their private lives and the world in general. When you have been blogging for thirteen years - as I have - the blog becomes a record of your life. You can look back and remember walks and holidays, family events and things you experienced. Increasingly, I find blogging very useful in that way.

Anyhow, five more pictures from Corfu...
Above - aboard the Pegasus heading for the island of Mathraki. Below - another olive farmer's shed especially for Meike in Ludwigsburg, Germany. She loves old ruins which may be why she quite likes me!
 Above - a simple meal we had in Ilias's Taverna in Avliotes. I can't tell you how utterly delightful my salad was - bottom left. It was called a "mixed salad" containing walnuts, pieces of apple, various green leaves, pine nuts, balsamic vinegar and olive oil - topped with thin slices of strong, flavoursome local cheese. I told Ilias it was the most enjoyable salad I had ever eaten. Below, all the directions you need in Agios Stefanos:-
Below - a shrine on the lovely clifftop walk between Agios Stefanos and Arillas. Perhaps somebody once jumped from here, momentarily hovering on the rising sea air like a bird before plummeting to... The End....

19 comments:

  1. Welcome back! What a beautiful place. Did you get lots of rest and relaxation?

    That meal looks absolutely delicious! The salad you describe sounds heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I were a condemned man waiting for execution, the last meal I would choose would be that salad Jennifer!. And yes - it was indeed a restful break. We didn't even hire a car to dash about in.

      Delete
  2. It's always the things that go wrong that make the best travel stories.

    I began blogging because I was contractually obligated to, and now it's second nature to throw an idea against the wall of the internet and see if it sticks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your first remark has a ring of truth.
      I must come over to your blog again soon Vivian. By the way, Ian and Henry are now in Los Angeles for a week. They are going to be on local TV as well as doing some book signings etc..

      Delete
  3. Yes and yes and yes and yes and now I want that food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mediterranean food in a Mediterranean setting. Before our journey home we had stuffed tomatoes, Greek salad and a fresh sea bass. The owner of the taverna led me to the kitchen so I could choose my fish from a big metal tray on which twenty various fishes were lying - caught that very morning. It was a fish to die for cooked simply in olive oil with salt and pepper, a scattering of rosemary needles and a squeeze of lemon.

      Delete
  4. I love the picturesque shrine. Hopefully it has a happier raison d'ĂȘtre than what you're speculating! The food looks great. There are reasons the "Mediterranean diet" has been deemed so healthy -- simple food in season counts for a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corfu is waiting for you Steve but so are Crete, Kefalonia, Santorini and Mykonos...

      Delete
  5. I am happy you had a wonderful vacation! It is a refreshing break to get away and it gives a new appreciation for home when you return as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true Bonnie. Sometimes the returning is the best part.

      Delete
  6. Are those slices of cheese in the salad grilled?
    Everything looks perfect to me!
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Maria - they were uncooked, thin slices and had the kind of strength of Italian Gorgonzola - but not that crumbly texture.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Neil. I enlarged the photo and now I understand why I thought they were grilled; balsamic vinegar and not ”grilled lines”!
      x

      Delete
  7. Agios Stefanos means St. Stephen in Greek, so I’m thinking that good King Wenceslas might have been looking down on your feast that day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I saw him on top of a hill. He was wearing a crown.

      Delete
  8. Not only do you see different things but learn about a completely different way of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice way of advancing one's understanding.

      Delete
  9. Lovely photos...and the salad does look delicious. Mediterranean-style food is great...vibrant and healthy.

    The colour of the ocean reminds me of the colour of the ocean at the beaches of Bowen in North Queensland...and area I loved to visit and stay. And I did, when possible, when I was living and working out at Collinsville. And for a short period I managed a little resort at Horseshoe Bay, Bowen.

    That clear, azure blue of the sea is so enticing, so relaxing...

    And, then...on the other hand...it is always nice to get back home, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked the pictures Lee and it's even better that the sea reminded you of your time at Horseshoe Bay...

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits