23 June 2018

Gawthorpe

Gawthorpe Water Tower was constructed almost a hundred years ago.
Yesterday, every square mile of England was bathed in beautiful June sunshine from dawn till dusk. The sky was blue. Unseen birds twittered in hedgerows. 

In another life, my working life, I would have looked out from my classroom window wishing that I could be out in the sunshine following ancient paths to distant farms. Instead I was trapped with 4C or 2HS - making sense of written words, fighting against the odds. Teaching kids who lived in social housing and had narrow horizons was always challenging.

But yesterday I was free. Free to drive up to a village just south of Leeds - Gawthorpe. I parked Clint and put my boots on. Then, after guzzling a bottle of spring water I set off chomping an apple. I had six or seven miles to go in another big circle.

Who knew what I would see along the way?  The pictures included with this post give you a little sense of  how this ramble turned out. It was such a lovely afternoon.
Old farm cottages in West Ardsley
Canine chums in Ardsley Reservoir
Trinity Church, Ossett
I liked the shadows below this signage
Elderberry blossom near Low Park Farm
Red Lodge Farm
P.S. I forgot to mention this little incident from yesterday's walk. There's a rarely trodden grassy track that leads north to Ardsley Reservoir. As I proceeded along it, through the knee high grasses I noticed a human head bobbing several yards in front of me.  A middle aged man was sitting in the grass, probably imagining that he would be undisturbed. Immediately, I suspected that he might be sunbathing in the nude or possibly exercising his wedding tackle. I coughed loudly to warn him I was arriving. Startled, he pulled a  black T-shirt across his lap and as I passed by I  greeted him though for obvious reasons I did not wish to stop for a friendly chat.

Ladies and indeed fellows from foreign climes should be advised that this kind of behaviour is uncharacteristic of Yorkshire gentlemen. Generally speaking, we do not lounge by public rights of way - stark naked playing with our penises. It's highly likely that that man was from  Lancashire where I understand that such behaviour is fairly widespread.

24 comments:

  1. Is Ardsley Reservoir a drinking water reservoir? . . .

    Lovely shots from your ramble. It must be a very good feeling to be able to do what you dreamed of for so many working years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Ardsley Reservoir does provide the local area with drinking water but don't worry, it is always "treated" so it will not taste of dogs!

      Delete
  2. I remember those days of being cooped up in a very warm school. It was the end of June and the kids ere pinging off the walls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Red. The kids wanted to be outside too.

      Delete
  3. It looks like a truly glorious day. The water tower is much taller than the ones around here (or maybe it is a smaller circumference confusing me)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a big water tower. It can be seen for miles around.

      Delete
  4. Such wonderful photographs! I do enjoy your walks. Isn't it nice to be retired and no longer confined to a work schedule? I worked in a medical office and spent many hours looking out a window wishing I was free. I love retirement and find it well worth the reduced income that comes with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only trouble is that when we do retire our bodies can sometimes fail us with aches and pains and so on... but I have never regretted taking early retirement - not for a moment.

      Delete
  5. I guess most of us had to remain within four walls or similar to enable us to earn a living during our working lives - our younger years. We cherish our dreams about the freedom awaiting us when we retired!

    Now, I am at the age...I prefer to stay within my four walls with my two furry rascals.

    I went out three times this past week...that's more than enough for one week to satisfy my yearnings (which I don't harbour) for rambling.

    You can do the ramblings...while I remain here enjoying the wonderful pictorial records of your strolls.,,for which I thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will ramble for you as long as I can Lee. Thanks for calling by once more.

      Delete
  6. My week was very busy, but working at 5 different locations on the 5 days meant I had several walks from train stations to offices, some of them in rather nice areas. But none of them were as beautiful as the area you chose for your ramble!
    I am amazed at the elderflowers; here, they are already growing berries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your elderberry bushes are of course much further south Meike. Even within Great Britain there are big variations in fruiting and blossoming from north to south.

      Delete
    2. I forgot to say that I like the wavey shade of the letters on the wall, too.

      Delete
  7. The Elderberry blossoms have to be my favourite pic for this post.
    In answer to your question about the stair lift, they go very,very slowly but better that than Tom gasping when he climbs the stairs. lol
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should get a lift engineer in to turbo boost the stairlift.

      Delete
  8. Good photos YP. The weather you had was great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A photo thumbs up from an ex-professional photographer is always appreciated.

      Delete
  9. Wonderful walk. I enjoyed all the photos that you took. I have always wondered why you and I enjoy visiting and taking pictures of churches so much. Being that we are so anti-religion and all. Hum!

    Never heard it called "wedding tackle" before. That's a funny one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An old church speaks of community, history, births and deaths and marriages and I also love to look at the architecture, the carvings, the windows. Though I am an atheist I know that the idea of God has impacted upon millions of lives.

      Delete
  10. Hey!!!! I was enjoying this post until the last sentence.....
    Lovely photos, as usual. The elder blossom is my favourite!😀

    I thought this post was going to be about "Gawthorpe Hall" down the M65 in Burnley. How wrong I was.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regarding the last sentence, you know I was only joking Christina...I think! I was already aware of the fake Gawthorpe on the other side of the hills.

      Delete
  11. Black T-shirt. They are familiar.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the photo of the dogs in the reservoir. That last part of the story is HILARIOUS. Seriously, what are people thinking?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. love the photos of the dogs in the reservoir too. What beautiful weather you had for such a pleasant stroll.
    I must admit laughed out loud about your coming across the unsuspecting man in the tall grass. The only thing one can say is that at least he was in a remote area, rather than sharing his "hobby" with all and sundry in a busy place !

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits