21 July 2019

Yesterday

Friday was a rainy day. The weather forecasters got it right. I hadn't been to the cinema in a while so I checked out what was on at our local community cinema. Rather than going for a "hard watch"serious film I opted for "Yesterday" directed by Danny Boyle.  I knew it would be a light-hearted "feel good" film and I was in the mood for something like that.

The actor in the image at the top is Himesh Patel who played the hero - Jack Malik. The actress is Lily James who played Ellie Appleton. At one level, "Yesterday" is just another love story in which Jack and Ellie finally find togetherness.

The core premise of the film is both clever and amusing. Imagine a world in which nobody had heard of Coca Cola or cigarettes or The Beatles. Only failed musical performer Jack Malik  knows about The Beatles and before he realises what is happening he has become a worldwide phenomenon - performing songs like "Eleanor Rigby", "She Loves You", "The Long and Winding Road" and of course "Yesterday" itself. The rest of the world is wowed.

The film was all right. It amused me and held my attention but it is not the kind of film you remember and talk about forever. It was just all right. There was no seriousness. No political references. It was good to hear a handful of Beatles songs  delivered in such a setting and there was an excellent cameo performance by Ed Sheeran. A good way to pass a rainy Friday afternoon.

17 comments:

  1. I read about this movie and it didn't move me to want to see it, especially. Thanks for verifying what I thought it might be like. However, you have made me want to check and see what's on at the local cinema. Perhaps Mr. Moon and I need a movie date!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can sit on the back row and smooch!

      Delete
    2. Just checked. Nope. I'd rather sit on our porch swing and smooch. Kids' movies and horror movies.

      Delete
    3. I thought you might like "Midsommar" - on at CMX Cinemas Fallschase.

      Delete
    4. That's a bit creepy, Mr. P. That IS my local theater. Or at least the one closest to me. But from what I've read- uh, no. Think I'll skip that one.

      Delete
  2. I'll get around to watching it one day. From the clips I've seen, it looks like a fun, innocuous movie - one to enjoy while passing time. I'm busily bingeing on series and documentaries on streaming services.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like hard work Lee. Better lie down.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes a feelgood movie is just what we want/need, a bit like the escapist novels I like to read sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Lightness can be a good medicine.

      Delete
  4. I'm terribly disappointed that your blog post did not include a photograph of the cinema.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was The Showroom near Sheffield Midland Station.

      Delete
  5. Just at this moment in our troubled world fluff can be a good escape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That reminds me of an old scandal from the village where I was born. It made the national newspapers..."Family doctor elopes with Nurse Fluff" It was Dr Baker's nickname for our district nurse.

      Delete
  6. I saw it a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it - and yes - it takes a lot to get me out to a movie theatre these days. It was exactly what I was in the mood for - a charming film - it made me laugh - and there was that one "special moment" that I won't spoil.
    I really recommend it as the perfect escape from all the world's doom and gloom at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think "charming" is a good way to describe it Margie. To tell you the truth, I'm not sure what the "special moment" was.

      Delete
  7. Yeah, I haven't been too excited about this one, despite being a Beatles fan. I think I'll give it a pass until it turns up on Amazon Prime or Netflix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you haven't got enough money for a ticket I can lend you some.

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits