18 April 2020

Days


These are our coronavirus days. We will remember them for the rest of our lives. Days when the calendar and the clock did not seem to matter very much. Days of Zoom and long phone conversations with loved ones. Lazy days with time to think, to read, to remember, to bake bread and plant seeds.

And yet, and yet...it is always there in the background isn't it? The Thing. Regular TV and radio are filled with it. Word after word. "Epidemic...testing...waves of infection...deaths...sobering...social distancing...health systems...PPE..." So many words that they wash over you. And there's The Orange sneering at journalists, petulant, awkwardly reading other people's words, caring only about re-election. Narcissus reborn.

Word after word. Number after number. Image after image. Plastic visors and coffins. Photographs of the living before they became the dead. Smiling. Unaware. As a Yorkshire centenarian pushes his rollator up and down his driveway. Wearing his medals. 

Yes. These are our coronavirus days. Like a long holiday but with persistent tension in the air. Like the top E string on a guitar. Over-tightened and taut as though it might snap.
Cowslip
On Wednesday, I walked in Graves Park. Not graves as in a huge burial ground but Graves as in John George Graves the Sheffield philanthropist who gave that  splendid 227 acre park to the city.

There's a lot of variety. Ancient woodland, sports pitches, streams, an animal farm, a nursery, a cafe, meandering paths. By  a meadow arrayed with cowslips I sat upon a sunny bench to read for half an hour. Nobody else wandered by that secluded spot.

Then I ambled to the fields where over the years generations of highland cattle have grazed with their unwieldy horns and their Beatles fringes. On Wednesday afternoon there were just two adolescents - one black and one ginger. They play-fought or perhaps they were just scratching each other's heads. You wouldn't want to mess around with horns like that. Fortunately, theirs is a very gentle breed.

I made a short diversion to the churchyard of Norton St James. Within nicely painted blue railings there is the grave of England's foremost Regency period sculptor - Sir Francis Chantrey (1781-1841). He created lasting portrait sculptures of both King George III and George IV as well as James Watt and William Pitt the Younger. Our American cousins may be interested to learn that he also created a classical sculpture of George Washington that can still be seen in the Massachusetts State House.

32 comments:

  1. I thought that looked like George Washington when I saw your post. Your mention of Sir Francis Chantrey sent me on an adventure of checking out his other work. It proved to be an interesting side trip so thank you for mentioning him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At that time there was no sculptor in America who could match Chantrey's proven skill. The sculpture was commissioned after Washington's death and Chantrey was loaned an important painting of the first president to achieve a likeness. You probably read all that Bonnie.

      Delete
    2. You are up early! I forgot to tell you - I enjoyed the cattle photos!

      Delete
    3. And you are up late Bonnie! Time for bed young lady!

      Delete
  2. What perfect timing in that first shot! The cattle are beautiful in their shagginess.

    I agree about the cloud over life now. My routine has not changed much but that grey cloud is always in the background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that first picture was fortunate. The tongue came out just as I was about to snap.

      Delete
    2. I meant to say serendipitous but I wrote my first reply at 5am when my brain was half asleep.

      Delete
  3. This type of cattle is one that I like particularly, for their ancient look and gentle temperament.
    But my favourite here is clearly the cowslip! Inwardly, I skip for joy whenever I see cowslip on a meadow or in someone's garden. If I had a garden, I'd definitely have cowslip there, and forgetmenots.

    Like jenny_o says, my routine has not changed much but "all this" is still present. I am glad it is the weekend; work was once again rather busy this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never seen so many cowslips in one place. On previous occasions there has only been grass there. I wonder how long cowslips last. Have a nice weekend Meike.

      Delete
  4. Days by Kirsty McColl started to playing in my mental jukebox YP. Love the Highland cattle photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just went over to YouTube Dave. What a great version of the song! Thanks.

      Delete
  5. The days are quite relaxing and pleasant, our routine at home carries on as normal. But you are right, in the background there is that constant anxiety and awareness that things are not okay in the world and that something unprecedented in our lifetime is happening. Love the photos of the coos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cattle photo is lovely. Reminds me that I badly need a haircut.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A holiday for many. A time of nail biting for the self-employed. A time of hell for those on the frontline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The differentiation is important ADDY. I hope your Kay is coping and keeping safe at the frontline where thank God - most of us will never go.

      Delete
  8. It must be a totally different life near a town than it is in a small village. The quietness must be double the size of quietness a village feels, if that makes sense. My friend on the other side of the church has told me the mistle thrush is building a nest in the trellising but the sparrows are stealing the feathers. So and so has asked after me and I fill her in with my news. She might walk round the grave yard later on and talk, but she is deaf and it is difficult. That is life today, no coffees on the settee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spilling coffee on your settee can indeed by very concerning.

      Delete
  9. I looked up highland cattle and I'm surprised we don't have more here as they do well in cold weather. I love their shaggy heads.

    Life hasn't changed much here except the chronic tension in my shoulders and the poor sleeps I've been getting. At least the sun has come out today and we'll take a walk in the country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if there are Highland cattle in the east of Canada. Perhaps your winters are a little too harsh. Enjoy the walk with your bodyguard Lily.

      Delete
    2. According to Google, there are a number of farms now raising Highland cattle (for meat, horrors, I hadn't connected the dots) in Nova Scotia. So the answer is yes. Now I feel sorry for them. Still, it's probably better than commercial beef production ...

      Delete
  10. You nailed it, Mr. P. The shadow hanging over all of it.
    When I saw the statue of George Washington I thought that perhaps it was a local one for you and thought, "Whoa! George had a twin!"
    What beautiful cattle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt that George Washington would have ever dressed in that classical garb. I wonder what he might say to the 45th president if they met in the District of Columbia.

      Delete
  11. Covid-19 is like a holiday but we can't go anyplace. I think covid will be remembered for a very long time simply because the media we have, will find it to easy to retell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It won't just be the media. It will be the ordinary people too. It's like our World War III.

      Delete
  12. Somehow I think George Washington would find that statue ridiculous. But who knows. Maybe he was into classical garb.

    These are very weird times, no doubt. I often wonder how we'll look back on this period in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At that time (1826) there was a fashion in portrait sculpture to hark back to the classical age. Regarding the second point, let us hope that this is very much a one off - not to be repeated in our lifetimes.

      Delete
  13. I've tried, but can't make those words fit Ray Davies' tune at all. How about:

    Thank you for the days
    Those endless days coronavirus brought us
    I'm thinking of the days
    Remembering what social distancing taught us

    That when outside
    To keep at least six feet away from others
    To only make
    Essential trips and not visit our mothers

    To wash our hands
    To wash them well and never touch our faces
    To keep at least
    Six feet away from all, no social graces

    To exercise
    Just once a day: a bike ride, run or walking
    And don't go far
    For if you do you'll have the police a-stalking

    So stay inside
    Except for health or work or food procuring
    Because it's grim
    So grim that if you catch it there's no curing

    Days I'll remember all my life ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the edge of genius Mr Dunham. Well done!

      Delete
  14. The poor small cowslip, with the great orange hovering over it. Sort of like it hovering behind Hillary Clinton in the debates. Well, this too will end.
    Your photographs have such fine detail. Every hair of those cattle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that the orange bush is called berberis darwinii. I have observed Hillary Clinton in several British chat shows and she comes across as a thoroughly decent human being with both intelligence and compassion - two qualities that the 45th president appears to have missed out on.

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits