18 March 2021

Hazlehead

Hazlehead Hall seen through the trees

On Wednesday, I treated myself to a long walk in the countryside. I parked Clint on Hollin Lane just west of  Flash House Farm which is itself west of the village of Millhouse Green. 

It was a circular walk of perhaps six miles. At first, a canopy of light grey shaded the land. It seemed it would last the entire day but as I hoofed up Royd Moor Hill, the sky suddenly appeared divided - as if a painter had decided to apply blue emulsion. By the time I reached Thurlstone brightness and blue  had replaced the grey.

I am well aware that it is very possible to take great pictures under a grey sky but I always prefer the definition and colour that sunshine and blue heavens provide. I frequently liken this to visiting theatres - you need the action upon the stage to be illuminated. Without that lighting, the drama is reduced and the imagery struggles to grab one's attention.

Old railway bridge on The Transpennine Trail

In Thurlstone, I made my way to The Transpennine Way. It is a long distance footpath that connects Liverpool on the west coast of this island with Hornsea  in Yorkshire on the east coast. Several stretches of this trail follow long-abandoned railway beds and so it was as I plodded along to Hazlehead.

The portly owner of Hazlehead Hall was on his sit-down lawn mower, cutting his surrounding grass for the first time this year. I spoke with him and asked if I could walk along his half mile driveway back to the main road instead of heading east via the public footpath to Catshaw. He said he might let me if I asked nicely and chuckled when I fell to my knees pleading with clasped hands. I have no idea how that fellow made his money but Hazlehead Hall is a palatial, well-maintained  building with a long history.

Soon I was back at Clint. Apparently he had been attempting to communicate with sheep in the adjacent field. "Those creatures are braindead!" he announced which seemed a rather cruel judgement to me but I didn't comment as I needed his willing service to get me back to Sheffield.

30 comments:

  1. I prefer some sunshine and blue skies but if I waited for that I wouldn't get out very often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like the title of a novel: "The Sun Never Shines On Red Deer" by Jean Kline.

      Delete
  2. That blue is simply amazing. Are the photos true to what you saw in person? Beautiful.

    I like the horses in their pink blankets. I very much like the stone wall with tree; great composition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Off topic, but I just discovered that our national TV (CBC) is streaming the Bosh! boys' Living on the Veg . . .I've just watched a random episode and they are excellent :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this Jenny. I just phoned Ian and Henry and they had no idea that their show was being screened on CBC so you have done them a good turn.

      Delete
    2. I didn't realize they might not be aware, so I'm glad I was able to tell you. They're currently on the home page, at https://www.cbc.ca/ (scroll to the bottom). Only four shows get featured there at a time, so they are getting some good exposure.

      When I first saw the photo, without looking at the words, my brain automatically thought, "hmm, those two look familiar" followed shortly by, "oh! no wonder!"

      Delete
    3. And unfortunately, it's already been replaced by the newest viewing ads. Darn.

      Delete
    4. As the French Canadians say; "C'est la vie!"

      Delete
  4. The brilliant blue sky certainly made for great pictures - and an even greater walk, I guess! I like the one with the drystone wall and the tree the most.
    Hazlehead House can be rented for family parties etc., and it says in the "about" section of their website that the owner lived there for 30 years before moving into Hazlehead Hall: https://hazleheadhouse.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well-researched Meike! Once a librarian - always a librarian.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous7:56 am

    How the rich become rich? On the backs of poorer members of society.
    The railway bridge is a classic and the photo of the wall with a bare branched tree a classic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrew. Many of the rich are sustained by inherited wealth that passes on and often grows through the generations.

      Delete
  6. You were near that wonderful Yorkshire town whose residents were unable at first to use social media or financial services because the address was rejected as obscene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is said that in the mists of time maidens from Shepley and Shelley would dance naked around the great penis stone.

      Delete
  7. Excellent photos, as always, YP. Surprised that you didn't ask for a "go" on the sit-on mower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His lordship might have walloped me with his shooting stick.

      Delete
    2. He had a shooting stick???!!! My heavens, it sounds as if you'd accidently wandered into MY country.

      Delete
    3. Eh? A shooting stick is not a gun Debby. It is something you sit upon.

      Delete
  8. I like Mr Treewall and Mrs Horsewall. More entries for the drystone wall appreciation society exhibition perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also find drystone walls visually thrilling. You can be the Chairman of the society and I will be the treasurer. By the way - it is subscription time. Please send me fifty quid a.s.a.p..

      Delete
  9. A walk in the sunshine under a bright blue sky is always the best way to spend the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does one's general demeanour a lot of good. Like medicine.

      Delete
  10. Lovely photos--especially the tree and stone wall. Shy horse or was it just being flirty? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted her to stick her long face over the wall but I guess it was a little too tall for her.

      Delete
  11. Oooooh, I haven't heard of the Transpennine Trail. Completing that sounds like a good future goal! Looks like you had a good walk and I agree, a blue sky is much preferable to the flat gray/white that we so often get here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a big fan of walking along old railway beds. Often the banks are overgrown with bushes and trees and you do not see much, Have you heard of the coast to coast walk from St Bee's to Robin Hood's Bay? 102 miles. I think that might be more enjoyable (in fair weather).

      Delete
  12. My foot has not healed enough to walk yet and I am suffering greatly. Enjoy yours for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look after that foot Mary. Hopefully it just needs rest and gentle circling to gradually get better.

      Delete
  13. The third photo is delightful

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits