4 February 2022

"Belfast"

Shirley and I went to see "Belfast" yesterday afternoon. Not the city in Northern Ireland but the semi-autobiographical film about Sir Kenneth Branagh's  childhood in that notorious city. He wrote the script and he directed it. His part was played endearingly and brilliantly by an animated little actor called Jude Hill.
Sir Kenneth Branagh
If you wish to read a professional review of "Belfast", just search the net and I am sure you will easily locate several of them.

"Belfast" is almost wholly presented in black and white, a factor that helps to place it back in 1969 and 1970. The Troubles are breaking out between Catholic and Protestant neighbourhoods but that appears like mere background as the film focuses upon the happiness, unity and anxieties of one working class Protestant family.

There 's a pretty stellar cast including a lovely cameo performance by the brilliant Yorkshireborn actress Judi Dench as Granny. Jamie Dornan, who starred in the recent BBC TV production of "The Tourist", plays the part of Pa and I especially liked the performance of Ciarán Hinds as Buddy's grandfather. By the way, Buddy is the name given to Kenneth  Branagh's character.

"Belfast" made me laugh in places and it also made a few tears roll down my cheeks. It was not overly sweet nor overly sentimental but of course it did not set out to paint an accurate hard hitting documentary-type portrait of  Belfast as The Troubles burst forth. It was affectionate as if recalled through the mists of childhood memory and we very much enjoyed it. A lovely, shared cinema experience.
Afterwards, after we had alighted from the number 88 bus, we called in at our neighbourhood's brand new pub - "The Dark Horse" which has opened in the premises of what was once Lloyd's Bank. There we bumped into two old friends - Linda and Ian - and gossiped for an hour before heading home for a later evening meal than we had anticipated.

25 comments:

  1. "Belfast" is on my list to view so glad to hear all the good reviews.
    I have a "Dark Horse" pub in my neighbourhood! Good food and a great patio!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strangely enough I'm reading a book right now that is sent in Belfast and touches on the generational trauma that came from "The Troubles". I've never thought about generational trauma much before but it doesn't look good for the world when we keep exposing children to death, destruction and war.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As The Plastic Ono band sang, "All we are saying is give peace a chance!"

      Delete
  3. With a cast like that it should be a good film. Your day sounds quite perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely day Jasmine. I think you would also like "Belfast" but it will soon be gone from British cinemas. New releases don't stick around long. There's a 2.30 screening at The Broadway Cinema in Douglas next Wednesday. If you beg Lord Peregrine he might drive you down there if you are mobile enough. Best to book tickets in advance I would say but don't pick the back row as you would end up snogging throughout the film.

      Delete
  4. I read about this a few months back and am still waiting for it to come somewhere close to Smallville where I can see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smallville? I thought that was a fictional place. Perhaps you are a fictional character like Bob Cratchit Bob!

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you and Shirley got to go out to see a movie, go to a pub, meet up with friends. In some ways, life is getting back to a more normal time, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You cannot drink beer when wearing a mask.

      Delete
  6. I was just coming of age during the latter parts of that conflict so don't remember or know much about it. I will have to find a good book on the subject to fill in that time period in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Troubles were subdued at the very end of the last century but they could easily reignite some day. They never died away completely.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like you and Shirley are getting the most out of your shared retirement together. I had heard of Belfast, but stupidly thought it was about the ship.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been curious about this film myself. Glad to hear the experience was positive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best seen on a big screen I think. Shirley and I paid £6.20 each.

      Delete
  9. What a wonderful outing! I'm hoping to head back to the movies and to Happy Hours once Omicron dies down. Or I do, whichever comes first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you buy yourself a spacesuit with helmet you can go anywhere Margaret.

      Delete
  10. Anonymous10:06 pm

    I didn't know Dame Judi was born in Yorkshire. How nicely you slipped that in.
    John Gray of Wales didn't seem terribly keen on the film but after your thoughts, I think we might see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the end it was a really nice "feelgood" film and we are glad we bothered to see it.

      Delete
  11. I'm looking forward to seeing the film.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll wait for it to make it to TV land. I'm patient that way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for this review. It all sounds so nice and normal - cinema, pub, friends…

    ReplyDelete
  14. Definitely one to add to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like the perfect afternoon and evening for you.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits