15 March 2022

Mélange

We always have a roasted joint of meat or a chicken on Sundays. More often than not, there's some leftover meat and gravy. When that happens I tend to make a stew  mélange on a Monday or Tuesday. And that's what happened this evening. It's easy to get creative using simple ingredients you happen to have to hand - perhaps they are sitting in the bottom tray of your refrigerator.

Tonight, I first of all chopped an onion and fried it gently in a  mixture of rapeseed oil and salted butter. using out deepest frying pan. Then I tossed in a handful of sliced courgette (American: zucchini). Next the jug of leftover gravy from Sunday was added and next some sliced carrot that I had cooked in the microwave for six minutes. Then similar with a chopped leek.

Next I tossed in skilfully introduced a can of chickpeas. Stirring and then tasting suggested how much seasoning the dish might need. I also added a little dried fenugreek - not too much.

I had cooked a large potato in the microwave - chopped into roughly one inch cubes. This was added along with the potato water. It is important to have enough liquid for the stew mélange to swim in. Last of all came the chicken pieces from Sunday.

Very often I would put floured suet dumplings on top of the bubbling stew mélange for the last fifteen minutes - with the lid on. However, on this occasion I remembered we had some nice multigrain bread in the pantry so I cut and buttered a couple of slices.

After I had spooned out the stew mélange de coq, I sprinkled some garlic and herb nutritional yeast over the the surfaces of the two steaming bowls of that delicious goodness. Ian and Henry's "Bosh!" company now have three types of "nooch" in selected British supermarkets. It's especially good for vegans looking to quickly add B vitamins to their meat and dairy-free dishes.

I hope that this post and the accompanying photographs will boost your own ideas about quickly bashing out a stew  mélange using whatever comes to hand. Occasionally, it is fun to ad-lib and get creative in the kitchen. as our lovely son has discovered to his eternal benefit.

34 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hey! You have dribbled some down your chin Catalyst!

      Delete
  2. Stodge and stew is what you need especially after hiking, gardening or peeling the spuds and veg and making a good hearty stew. Wishing continued success to the Bosh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Don't talk while you are eating Dave!

      Delete
  3. You can't beat a good rib sticking stew. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really wish the Bosh! varieties of "nooch" were available in my part of the world. (meaning even if they were on this side of the Atlantic, it's doubtful they would in a store near me) All I can get is plain old nutritional yeast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. I don't believe that Bosh! products are for sale anywhere in America but Bosh! books are available Kelly.

      Delete
  5. Looks dee-lish. I have never heard of Dried Fenugreek, but now I am on the hunt for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It mostly comes from the Indian sub-continent. We have a lot of Indian restaurants and takeaways in Great Britain. It is a very unusual taste and can enhance many dishes if not overused.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous9:19 pm

    Looks edible. Nooch! Apparently everybody is talking about nooch but there is the first time you hear a word and this is mine.

    It just occurred to me, what makes an Irish stew Irish?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to google "nooch" as I had never heard of it. I think it is something my gluten-free, dairy-free daughter might use - I'll have to let her know. I don't think we have your son's Bosh in the US, tho. Your stew looks yummy. Your talented son must have gotten his cooking talents from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bosh! books have been in many American bookshops Ellen. Also available via Amazon.

      Delete
  8. I love the day two dishes better than the Sunday roast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's best at Christmastime when you can make the roast turkey go a long way.

      Delete
  9. My mother used to "ad-lib" and make what she called "savoury mince" adding in any old leftovers, including the meat she saved out of uneaten sandwiches. It was truly awful and she was always disappointed when my kids wouldn't eat anything when we visited her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like she had her own individual style!

      Delete
  10. I love your deep frying pan, I need to buy one of those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very useful. I use it most days and it has a lid too.

      Delete
  11. I do a lot of this kind of cooking. I was once throwing together a noodle dish with a bunch of leftovers and my (chef trained) cousin praised me for my great grasp of peasant style cooking!
    I think i prefer toast to dumplings but so long as it's carbs, who really cares? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you mean "cuisine paysanne" - sounds more posh.

      Delete
  12. Making do with what I have and creatively putting together ingredients that need using up is my favourite way of cooking. Your stew sounds and looks delicious! I don't know what fenugreek is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice not to throw any food away. Fenugreek is a herb from the Indian sub-continent

      Delete
  13. Not heard of Nooch before, and we don't appear to have Bosh products here. Not sure about fenugreek - I'll have to check the translation, but I don't think it features in Spanish cookery.
    Last night I made a huge pot of vegetable soup - it's that sort of weather at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that the sun always shone in Spain. Fenugreek is mostly grown and used on the Indian sub-continent.

      Delete
  14. I've been using nutritional yeast for over forty years now. Learned about it from the hippys on Stephen Gaskin's Farm and their little cookbook.
    As you know, I too, love to make meals from leftovers. Your stew looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking for a poem I once read about cooking with passion and feeling - like improvising on a musical instrument.

      Delete
  15. It looks delicious, the frying pan looks heavy, is it Creuset? Such heavy saucepans are not good for my wrists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it is not a Creuset. It's much lighter than that and it has a glass lid too.

      Delete
  16. I love putting together a good vegetarian stew using up everything I can find in the crisper. Unfortunately, my meat-loving, and mostly non-cooking family, don't share my enthusiasm for such stews. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not everyone has a sophisticated palete Melinda.

      Delete
  17. Dave does this almost once a week to clean out the fridge. I've never heard nutritional yeast called "nooch"! Funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We usually clean out our fridge with a mild detergent. And yeah - "nooch" man! You gotta get down in da hood to tune into these things man.

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits