28 March 2022

David

I have just finished reading "The Gallows Pole" by Benjamin Myers. Set in The West Riding of Yorkshire, it is an historical novel that focuses upon  a group of men known as The Cragg Vale Coiners.

Round about 1760, these men became notorious for clipping coins and using the resulting metal to create new coins in ingenious moulds. They created so much  extra coinage that it affected the local economy around Halifax and The Calder Valley. By all accounts it was also used to make the lives of impoverished hill and valley dwellers more bearable.

The Coiners were led by a man called David Hartley whose grave can still be seen in the churchyard at Heptonstall - the same graveyard where the American writer Sylvia Plath is also buried. Hartley was hanged at York in April 1770. The landed gentry and the business community were not prepared to tolerate the continuation of his criminal activities so they decided to silence him forever.

Hartley was a tough, often ruthless man. He became known as King David Hartley. He knew little of the world beyond his valley and his lofty moorland home - Bell House. That was his kingdom. There are scenes of terrible but believable violence in the novel. They are not gratuitous. We are talking about rough men who are intent on secrecy and survival. They swear and they fight and they value loyalty as much as gold.

Throughout the novel there are italicised sections attributed to King David as he languishes in his hideous cell at York Castle. He is barely literate and his intermittent writing  is littered with errors in spelling and grammar. It feels authentic:-

All yool hear is the choken sound of a man hoos life itself was liyved like a pome Hoos every thort and ackshun was poetry And who rose to graytnuss and his final ritten and his lassed dyn breath Well that was poetry too. (page 348) 

"The Gallows Pole" might not be everyone's cup of tea but I loved it. It was earthy and simply real.  My attention was wrapt throughout. Of course for me it probably helped that it was set in Yorkshire just forty miles north of this keyboard. It is not an area I know well but I know it all the same.

Waterstones Books said this of Benjamin Myers's novel: "A dark, primal story of smuggling, suppression and retribution set in eighteenth-century Yorkshire, The Gallows Pole’s stygian murk borders on folk horror. A fictionalised retelling of the outlaw Cragg Vale Coiners and the brutality they trailed in their wake, it is a novel that bubbles with uncanny local myth and parochial terrors."
_______________________________

Thanks to blog visitors Christina and Thelma for alerting me to "The Gallows Pole"  and to my friend Tony for lending me his copy.

32 comments:

  1. I have a vague memory of hearing or reading something about coin clipping and wondered how it was done. Did they clip or scrape around the edges to make the coin fractionally smaller thus getting clippings to melt and make more? That would have worked when coins were pure gold or silver I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting story of "King" David Hartley, and his grave is still there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like make-believe but it was very real.

      Delete
  3. Hmm... much as I appreciate novels bringing true past events to life, I think I am going to pass this one. "Stygian murk bordering on folk horror" does indeed not sound like quite my cup of tea.
    Thank you for the review, Neil; it is informative and provides a good base for deciding whether or not one wants to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to be as rough and tough as King David himself to enjoy this book.

      Delete
  4. I am not a fan of brutal novels so shall give this one a miss I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lord Peregrine might enjoy it. Check your local charity shops. It would make a great birthday present for him.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous8:44 am

    It's a grabbing book title, for sure. It sounds interesting enough. Their coin clipping was certainly interesting when I learnt of it some years ago.

    Gee, maybe a decade or so later, Hartley could have been sent for a nice holiday to Australia instead of being hanged by the neck until dead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing that the people who voyaged to Australia did not have to pay for their boat tickets. I wonder if they had a happy hour at the cocktail bar.

      Delete
  6. I'm not sure I'm ready for "Stygian murk" but it sounds like an interesting book -- particularly, as you said, for someone with regional interest in Yorkshire. I've never heard of the "coiners" before. It's amazing what devious schemes people concoct!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were desperate people - poor as church mice. That is what drove them I think.

      Delete
  7. "not everyone's cup of tea" - I suspect my cup of tea would be everyone's if I tried to read this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha-ha! That's very clever. Seriously though, I think it might grip you too as you are also, I believe, a "full blood" Yorkshireman.

      Delete
  8. It is a dark story to read, and for those whose imaginative mind tends to go into overdrive, a bit upsetting;). There again as I wished my grandson Ben a safe journey to London this morning, we both agreed that Calder Valley is a very gray place to live in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In comparison, the Sheffield area of South Yorkshire seems somehow lighter, less daunting, less severe. I could say the same about the entire East Riding.

      Delete
  9. I wonder if my Heppenstall family line came from Heptonstall?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There must be a connection that goes way back to when people didn't have surnames. They were known by the names of the places they came from. There is no other place in England that sounds even remotely like Heptonstall.

      Delete
    2. That was my understanding as well to the history of English surnames. Makes me want to do some digging on the family line again.

      Delete
  10. I love historical novels and this one sounds appealing. I can handle more violence in my novels than I can on the screen. I attempted to order it from the library but it wasn't available. I may have to purchase this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do. And if you do please tell me you thought of it.

      Delete
  11. I really enjoyed this book. It's very real, as you say.
    I've been to Heptonstall a few times. It's a lovely old place, almost untouched by time. Grand views down the valley too!

    If I may be so bold, another great book is Burial rites by Hannah Kent. It's a work of fiction but a cracking read. Try it. You might like it! 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I have got a good book to recommend to you Christina - "Remembrance - of Things Past" by Marcel Proust. Shame there are only seven volumes. Mind you - you were very right about "The Gallows Pole". Thanks again.

      Delete
    2. I have read the first two volumes! Honestly!

      Delete
  12. Thanks for explaining about coin clippers! I wondered what they did. I am reading a good book by Elie Mystal, titled "Allow me to Retort: a black guy's guide to the constitution". He explains a lot about American Law that is upsetting and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes writing about real things that happened or mattered satisfies the reading appetite better than fiction. I guess it depends what mood you are in.

      Delete
  13. No, "Stygian murk" is not my cup of tea (or coffee) either YP. But thanks for the review. I have heard of "coining" - somewhere along the way in history lessons at school, I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that "Stygian Murk" is another name for beer brewed in London.

      Delete
  14. I've sat on Dick Turpin's iron bed in York Castle which now is Castle Museum. One of his future generations became a barmaid in Weatherfield and made a lovely hotpot and she was called Betty.

    Sounds a good book YP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's nowt lad. I have ridden on Black Bess.

      Delete
  15. I'm going to have to seek this one out Neil. It sounds fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Why not go for it Elizabeth. I believe that the BBC will give us a film version before very long but you cannot beat a good read can you?

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits