21 September 2022

Piel

We made it to Piel Island!

Last night I did a bit of googling and discovered that around a low tide, it is possible to walk across to the island  over the extensive sands revealed daily between Walney Island and Piel. It is a distance of a mile and a half.

A search of  online tide tables told me that today's high tide would be at 9.30am and the low tide would be at 3.30pm. I figured that if we set off from Snab Point on low-lying Walney at 12.30pm we would be okay.

Clint mumbled, "Bloody fools!" as we laced up our boots feeling some trepidation. After all, it's not every day that you walk across tidal sands where several unfortunates were apparently  drowned in past decades. Naturally, I did not share that particular tidbit of information with Mrs Pudding before we left.

There was Piel on the horizon like an old man snoring on his back. Mostly the sand was hard and flat but in some places it became softer or undulated and there were seawater puddles and  shallow channels to negotiate. Our foot journey felt pretty safe but even so  it was good to reach the stony ramp that leads to the old coastguard cottages built in 1875.

The coastguard cottages, Piel Island

Further on there is "The Ship Inn" where the new King of Piel lives but it was closed today. A hundred yards to the south we investigated the ruins of Piel Castle. It was constructed in the middle of the fourteenth century under the instructions of The Abbot of Furness Abbey to protect his prosperous lands on  The Furness Peninsula from raiders, pirates and Scottish invaders.

Shirley and I were the only visitors. After our exploration, we sat upon the pebbly beach for a little picnic and drank cold water from our flasks. And there was a handful of sweet brambles I had just picked from the dense briars that grow in  the shadows of that evocative castle with its unremembered stories.

"The Ship Inn", Piel Island

I would have stayed longer but Shirley was anxious to plod back across the sands  before the ocean rolled back to claim us. 

It felt so good to be there on the tiny speck of land  that is Piel and I am happy that we made it today because otherwise   it would have gnawed at me until  returning at  some time in the near future.

Piel Castle from the south

39 comments:

  1. And ye, men shall remember yon day that the Isle of Piel yielded to Pudding the Conqueror and let it be proclaimed to history that he cameth in peace and had a nice picnic on the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! What a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zome dayz are diamondz Zean.

      Delete
    2. Ah, fresh supply needed. A pleasure to be at your service, dear Neil:
      SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS ssssssssssssssssssssss SSSSSSSSSS sssssssss
      ;-) The peace of the night!

      Delete
  3. YP, I fear my mind is going. Could you email me (again) at ndakotan.taylor77@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bless my soul !
    Coastguard Cottages could be the setting of a novel by James Hanley or a short tale by Robert Aickman.
    Sitting there of a night before an sycamore fire, I would have Harriet Walter read The Weir of Hermiston to me.
    By candlelight, over a glass of Madeira.

    Delighted you and Shirley made it to Piel Island.
    I shall see that jellyfish tonight in my dreams, instead of Harriet Walter, alas.
    Haggerty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it is possible for a man to have intimate relations with a dead jellyfish.

      Delete
    2. Jellyfish don't have brains, according to marine biologists, so I have always felt a passing kinship with them.
      My skills extend no further than reading, grinding coffee beans and dodging drunks in my native city who mistake me for Christopher Lee.

      Now squids are brainy for they are studied by neurocognitive scientists.
      *Proust and the Squid* a book by Maryanne Wolf.
      I have not read it but there is an online summary on Good Reads.

      BBC's Science Focus magazine (September) reports on Saturn's moon.
      Titan, as we have named it, has a nitrogen-rich atmosphere like Earth.
      Its lakes are filled not with water but liquid methane and ethane.
      So no jellyfish or squid on Titan, I'm afraid.
      Let us cherish our coastal waters and teach children to do so too.
      Haggerty

      Delete
  5. Anonymous11:50 pm

    Clint would have something to complain about if you drove him across the sand. I was hoping for 'If only we had set off to return to the mainland twenty minutes earlier...'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boo hoo! I never thought you could be so wicked Andrew!

      Delete
  6. Terrific! Where there is a will, there is a way.
    Mostly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With no ferry fees, we saved ourselves a few dollars too!

      Delete
  7. Interesting with lots of conflict in your story. I was hoping you would make it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are tenacious once you've set your mind to something, arent' you? Glad it worked out and especially glad that the two of you didn't drown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have like to drown myself in the pub Nurse Lily! But as I said, it was closed!

      Delete
  9. You made it! I think I would have done the same. As long as one sticks to the tides timetable, it is perfectly safe. Unlike people and public transport, the coming and going of the Sea is completely reliable.
    Piel seems an enchanted place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Enchanted" is a good word for it Meike.

      Delete
  10. I would have worried about the tide too. I'm glad you went though, it looks peaceful there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an adventure . Just like The Famous Five, only two of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Terrible Two... just like you and his lordship!

      Delete
  12. The intrepid Yorkshire Puddling. I am told it is possible to walk across the River Humber at low tide. Perhaps you could try that when you are back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why do you want me dead you bounder!

      Delete
    2. I'm only 4 feet deep at low tide.

      Delete
  13. That was an unexpected treat - and how pleasant to be the only visitors. You had a good walk too!
    Can only agree with Shirley that, interesting though Piel Island was, I wouldn't have wanted to hang around for too long either, just in case the tide decided to come in early!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All lives end Carol so why not surrender to the incoming tide?

      Delete
  14. Postcard like photographs. Glad you made it to the island.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember seeing the King at his 'coronation'. I believe the honour falls on every new publican.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that the new king was crowned just this year. His palace is "The Ship Inn".

      Delete
  16. What a neat adventure, at least you didn't get stranded until the next high tide

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sensibly we set off back long before the nadir of the low tide.

      Delete
  17. That first picture is exquisite! I would have probably been too much of a worry wort to try something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You WERE brave. I'd have been worried the tide was coming in.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The weather and tides cooperated with you. Looks like a great adventure, Neil!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It reminds me of the Lindisfarne causeway. My family owned the first hotel on that island and used to ferry people over the sands in horse and cart and later in a motorised charabanc

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits