Several weeks ago, when riding on the tram, I noticed some interesting artwork and graffiti on the wall next to the tramway. With the city centre looming beyond that wall, I foresaw some good photo possibilities so yesterday I scratched that itch as the accompanying images show.
"O God, I could be bounded in a nut shell and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams." - Hamlet Act II scene ii
29 September 2026
Walls
...and after visiting Gaia, the Greek earth goddess, I descended to what was once Granville Street. But in truth that mid-Victorian street disappeared when the Sheffield Supertram Network was constructed in the early 1990s. Granville Street now accommodates tram lines that head to the southern edges of the city.
They call that wall "Granville Street Gallery". Whoever envisioned it may have hoped for proper street art by talented muralists. Instead, spotty teenagers with spray cans and zero artistic ability have made their hurried contributions. I noticed that one or two of them could not even spell the name of their home city correctly - forgetting the "i before e" rule.
I wonder what merit their hurried scrawl and tagging possesses? Maybe it's just sad, socially awkward boys declaring "I am here! I exist!" or "I spoil and degrade my urban environment because I just don't care! I feel alienated". In truth, I find it all hard to understand or forgive. Perhaps I should learn to look both ways...
From Granville Street, I walked alongside The River Sheaf before schlepping up to Abbeydale Road. As I approached Jameson's tea shop, I remembered that a special blue plaque had been affixed to a wall on the side street next to it just last year.
1 comment:
Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Most Visits
-
Last night, we lay down on sunbeds and watched Mrs Moon rise like a tangerine over The Aegean Sea. To capture the beauty of the scene fa...
-
Chavs being chavvish. Just the other day, I spotted a male "chav" down by the local Methodist church. He was wearing a Burberrry ...
-
So there I was standing in the kitchen of our son's terraced house. Something caught my eye outside in his little urban garden. It was a...
Schlepping up to Abbeydale Road ?
ReplyDeleteDo you use any other Yiddish words in conversation ?
Tchotchke (knick-knack) is one of my favourites.
A schlemiel is a clumsy type who slops his coffee.
A schlamazel is the man who gets the coffee slopped on him.
Katie Lumsden's latest vlog (Books and Things) looks forward to books she
wants to read before the age of 40.
Sholem Aleichem (1859-1916) was one of the translated writers that I inserted
in her Must Read List.
Sholem wrote in Yiddish, a dying language that never died.
A Ukrainian who lies in a grave in Queens, New York.
Thanks to the Internet he lives again ; even his photographs.