29 June 2010

Paul

Thanks to everyone who left kind thoughts after the last post. Paul died peacefully in his sleep during the early hours of Monday morning. It was a great surprise to us all. I wish you could have met him. I think that like me you would have come to love him. He had so much energy - so much natural zest for life - so many passions such as his violin and recently he even taught himself Greek, becoming quite fluent in a relatively short time. He was naturally gregarious and seemed to know just about every other citizen in the small county of Clare in western Ireland. "Hello there Paddy! How're ye doin?" He leaves a lovely but utterly distraught wife behind - poor Josephine - and his two handsome teenage sons - Michael and Kevin - plus his daughter Katie - now in her early thirties and Cait - his two year old granddaughter.

Here's Paul at Katie's wedding in 2006:-
When people die, the Irish don't hang about. Paul's wake in Ennistymon will happen tomorrow evening and he will be buried in a small rural cemetery known locally as "The Island" on Wednesday morning. Today has been about communication and making travel arrangements and printing things off - all so hectic - that I hardly had time to properly think about Paul. He was my friend as well as my brother and I still can't really believe that he has gone. A world without Paul just doesn't seem right.

12 comments:

  1. He'll never be gone from your heart and mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry for the loss of Paul in this world and in the lives of your family members.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope all goes well. It puts all our minor moans and gripes in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure - Unknown French author

    All our thoughts are with you & your family in your hour of grief YP.Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful words about your brother, Paul. I can tell he is a man I would have loved to "chat" with, exuding such joy and zest for life. I am sure he lifted many a spirit and brought with him a presence unlike any...
    Many condolences to you, Mr. Pudding

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh YP. So sorry to have just read your sad news.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never met him of course and I've just seen those two photos of him and they are enough to make me wish that I HAD met him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear the sad news, but you posted a wonderful tribute to your brother, and a photo which I felt captured his essence. Such partings are hard to bear.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry for your loss, YP. Having been 'on the road' for the past couple of days, I am only just catching up with blogs. Our thoughts are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never know the right thing to say, the only thing I know to do is give someone a hug. I'm sending lots of them your way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My deepest sympathies in the loss of your brother Paul. May your memories of good times together sustain you through these days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. craig2:11 pm

    Have only just read your last couple of posts YP. I am so very sorry for the loss of your brother. My thoughts are with you and your family at this sad time.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits