20 August 2012

Adulation

At Barker's Pool, Sheffield city centre
On Friday afternoon, 20,000 Sheffielders descended on Barker's Pool to welcome home our own golden girl - Olympic heptathete Jessica Ennis. I wasn't there as I was making Shirley's tea and besides I'm not very good at hero worship. We watched it all on the TV instead. 

Anyway, today we were in the centre of town - trying to buy new brushes for our Panasonic vacuum cleaner. I remembered to take my camera. I wanted to make sure I had "bagged" pictures of the huge Jessica canvas on the façade of the  "John Lewis" department store along with the gold postbox on Division Street - specially repainted to recognise Jess's remarkable gold medal achievement. She seems a lovely young woman - natural in her many interviews and genuinely proud to hail from Sheffield - a true Yorkshire lass. This blogpost is dedicated to her Olympic success and to confirm that the city of Sheffield and the Republic of Yorkshire is immensely proud of her. After The Revolution she will be our Minister of Sport.
Jessica's golden postbox
The 1925 war memorial with Jessica behind

4 comments:

  1. well done that girl
    it s a shame that the national press went on about the post box being defaced,,, my friends who visited yesterday ( from sheffield) reminded me that only the small words "go jessica" were written!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those gold postboxes look rather smart, much classier than the dreary red. Do we know if they're going to be left like that? I read on someone else's blog that they would eventually be returned to red, but that seems a bit pointless to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like red, and gold too. T'wouldn't be England without red letterboxes... but the gold looks really special.
    Which reminds me, has anyone done any gilding? With real gold leaf? I have a task, and I wondered if anyone could give me some tips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. EARL GRAY I thought the graffiti would enhance the adulation. Fortunately they still haven't come knocking on my door. I have thrown the felt tip away now.
    SHOOTING PARROTS The Post Office simply say the postboxes will be painted red again "in due course".
    KATHERINE
    I have gilded many's the lily but I couldn't help you with ACTUAL gilding...
    SALISBURY:
    Therefore, to be possess'd with double pomp,
    To guard a title that was rich before,
    To gild refined gold, to paint the lily,
    To throw a perfume on the violet,
    To smooth the ice, or add another hue
    Unto the rainbow, or with taper-light
    To seek the beauteous eye of heaven to garnish,
    Is wasteful and ridiculous excess.
    King John, 1594

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits