9 August 2012

Bellmouth

Yesterday afternoon, I escaped from our Olympic sofa and drove westwards into the Peak District again. I parked near Cutthroat Bridge on the A57 and followed a track under Hordron Edge. My mapwork had told me there's an ancient stone circle on the plateau above Hordron Edge. I battled through lush bracken to the top and there it was, protected by a handful of sheep and rarely visited. Who knows what happened here? Did those Bronze Age people dance under the stars? Did they come to trade or to observe the shadows? And what did they know of the world beyond those moors?
At the stone circle above Hordron Edge
Half a mile to the north is Stanage End - the westernmost point of rugged Stanage Edge - a millstone grit escarpment that curls for four miles along the old border between Yorkshire and Derbyshire.  I tramped through marshy ground and vigorous bracken fronds, over rocks and down hollows until this sight appeared. If you click on the picture you'll see climbers to the left of the outcrop:-
Further along the edge at Crow Chin, I spotted this old grouse basin - Basin Number 20. It was hollowed out over a hundred years ago to allow breeding grouse access to fresh rainwater rather than acidic moorland pools:-
A lovely view from Crow Chin westwards to the Derwent Valley:-
Much later after tramping from Bole Hill, past Bamford Clough and along New Road, I descended to "The Yorkshire Bridge Inn" where I guzzled a refreshing pint of orange cordial and soda water before standing on the dam wall at Ladybower Reservoir. When full, it holds over six billion gallons of water. Below you can see a device called a "bellmouth" which drains away excess water when the reservoir is overfull. That's one hole I wouldn't want to fall down. AIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEE!   Plop!

8 comments:

  1. Those aren't climbers - it's the Brownlee out for an afternoon run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fabulous walks you have....and the photos are smashing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! I have often been in that area but not seen that before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for knowledge share, I will be waiting for future posts

    Regards
    Marcus White Lisdoonvarna

    ReplyDelete
  5. SHOOTIE PEE Drat! I could have got their autographs!
    LIBBY I am pleased that you enjoy my little photo walks. As I have said before, we are so fortunate to live in such a wonderful walking country - with such a huge network of public rights of way.
    JENNY Did you mean the bellmouth? It's just a stone's throw from "The Yorkshire Bridge" and there's open access over the dam wall.
    SCOTT DAVIDSON I didn't know I was providing a "knowledge share" whatever that might be. And who is this Marcus White of Lisdoonvarna? Perhaps you can do a "knowledge share" too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, been there ... well Ladybower and the bellmouth. We guessed at its purpose. We sat on a rise just around the bend I think and watched the WWII dambusters anniversary celebrations in 2008.
    Lovely area, you are so lucky to have it all on your doorstep. You must be pretty fit YP with all this charging about up and down hills ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes YP, I expect you are getting very slim and muscular.

    Beautiful shots. How much did you pay that Brownlee person on the escarpment to wear red. A wonderful splash of scale.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HELEN You're right - I am fit and lithe like an Olympic athlete.
    KATHERINE I might be slim and muscular but I'm still a Yorkshire pudding!

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits