16 July 2015

Miles

The bull
Yesterday I could see for miles. Before my afternoon shift at the Oxfam shop, I drove  out of the city and parked just east of Ringinglow, near the alpaca farm. Summer had returned. Warm and sultry.

Down Greenhouse Lane and then along Harrop Lane. I stopped to admire a stocky brown bull with a ring through his nose. He grunted at me - deep and guttural - as if to say "If you want to steal my harem of cows I will fight you to the death". Then up Andwell Lane, turning into Bassett Lane where I saw a strange vehicle approaching. I recognised it after just a moment - it was a Google Streetview car, collecting fresh imagery so I snapped him back. I guess that before very long there will be a blurry Yorkshire Pudding in Streetview for all the world to see. Fame at last. Maybe.
Google Streetview car on Bassett Lane
Up on to Fulwood Lane and back to its junction with Greenhouse Lane. There's a little stone viewpoint cairn there. You know the sort I mean - with a big engraved steel disc on top of it - rather like a compass. It  informs you about distant landmarks and their distances and yesterday morning the visibility was magnificent. I had heard that you can see Lincoln Cathedral (43 miles away) and The Humber Bridge (52 miles away) from this road junction.

And sure enough, over to the east I could just make out the distant shape of Lincoln Cathedral and though I couldn't see the only bridge of The Humber, I could definitely make out The Yorkshire Wolds - almost sixty miles away. Amazing.
Looking from Fulwood Lane to Sheffield

14 comments:

  1. That's a lot of bull!!!

    What beautiful clear photos of a beautiful area.

    Back to the bull...not much grunting would be needed to be persuaded to leave his harem alone. He's a fine looking creature...and that ain't no bull!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know what com out of his rear end Lee? Pure ********!

      Delete
  2. A magnificent bull, although I am not sure I approve of the nosering practice.

    The last picture is really great and fills me with anticipation - only 4 1/2 weeks to go before my sister and I will spend nearly 2 weeks in Yorkshire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they are going to give a bull a nosering, they should also provide matching earrings and a necklace.

      So you are back in Yorkshire soon? Ripon I guess. If you are in South Yorkshire maybe we can meet up for a walk? I bet you take longer strides than me! You'll be waving back from the top of the hill.

      Delete
  3. It looks as if it's going to rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny guy! It hardly ever rains in an English summer.

      Delete
  4. How cool is that? Your own Kodak moment! Gee, I hope you weren't caught having a comfort stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Christ! Now you mention it I was watering a bush when he first passed by. It could go viral!

      Delete
  5. Bassett Lane is very interesting. Lovely road base...no potholes....but, but could they make it a little wider, do you think?

    Lovely picture of the bull. What a guy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't need to be any wider than that Mistress Thyme as the track only loops to a farm and a couple of cottages. We English are excellent drivers.

      Delete
  6. I was up in Durham yesterday, and I can vouch for the amazing weather. Oh, and I saw the Google Streetview car in London just a week or two ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you had remembered to zip up your flyhole Steve! Were you in Durham to visit Saint Cuthbert's shrine?

      Delete
  7. Your last photo made me smile with reminiscences. My Dad was a very keen photographer and one of the things he taught me before I could even ride a bike was that one could draw the eye to something of importance in a photo by using things like roads and walls to lead to them and that they should come in from a side.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These pics are lovely! Really miss Yorkshire, Nottinghamshire is nothing in comparison, really glad I came across your blog and will be giving you a cheeky follow :)

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits