21 July 2018

Stirred

Mistress Putin rose early but this Yorkshire Putin rolled over and went back to sleep. Soon I entered a bad dream. I was in a school that was composed of elements of all the schools I have ever been in. I needed to get to the other side of the sprawling institution for my first lesson of the afternoon.

But people kept distracting me. I was very aware of the time ticking away yet try as I might I never got there. I thought of the little sixth form group I was meant to have been teaching and what they might have done in my absence. Feeling downhearted and almost ashamed of myself, I made it back to the school hall and for some reason I do not quite understand I prepared to settle down on a camp bed.

Keys jangled in the dark corridors as two caretakers entered the hall. They were of similar appearance. Stocky fellows with shaven heads and gold rimmed spectacles. They didn't seem too concerned that a member of the teaching staff was planning to stay the night on a camp bed...

And that's when the telephone rang. Brrr-brrr...Brrr-brrr...Brr-brr. Clearly Mistress Putin was not going to pick up downstairs so like a sea-lion easing itself from a Hebridean shore, I rolled out of our prince-size bed and grabbed the phone.

It was our Ian in London. He was riding home on a Boris bike having just spent two hours at the gym. The lad was buzzing with things he wanted to share with his old man. My bad dream started to dissolve like an alka seltzer tablet in a glass. In its place there was Hurricane Ian.
There have been preliminary meetings about a TV show and it really could happen. In fact, it sounds as though - in the course of time - it will happen. They have something that is a little bit different to present to the world.

Meantime he has had a second date with a vegan lady who can speak six languages. Meantime there's the second leg of an old friend's stag do to contend with - the first leg having been in Ibiza. Meantime he and Henry have agreed a second "Bosh!" book with their publisher and they have been working up potential recipes while planning the work process. Meantime he's planning to go wild swimming in the River Thames. Meantime, maybe he will try writing a children's book just like David Walliams.

Phew! That's quite a lot of stuff to digest after being stirred from a bad education-based dream. I didn't even get to ask about the old photographs I scanned for him. He plans to use a couple in the Bosh! Instagram page. It's so good to hear him buzzing with life and the pleasures of living. Examples of those scanned pictures accompany this post.

To visit the Bosh! Instagram site go here.

30 comments:

  1. Your Ian is on his way to fame and fortune! What exciting times for your family.

    I love the photo of young Ian with an apple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a Bramley cooking apple from one of the trees in our garden. As you can see it was very big!

      Delete
  2. You'll have to get a good dinner suit and tuxedo for all those posh awards he'll (and you'll) attend. Well done, Ian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often see Ian on Instagram and can hardly believe I have a (very) tenuous connection to him!

    Their Instagram is always good and it takes a load of work to keep a good Insta account going

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the pic of him with the apple, too

      Delete
    2. A girl called Eve gave him that apple and he was sorely tempted...
      Knowing the strong vegan cultures in Melbourne and Sydney, he and Henry would very much like to have their publishers send them to Oz.

      Delete
    3. Veganism is growing like crazy here but we have a small population and it's still very much a niche group so it might not be profitable?

      Delete
    4. The publishers might say that too but Ian and Henry can be very persuasive and to save money they can stay at The Eclectica B&B!

      Delete
  4. Only yesterday I was wondering how everything was going along with and for Ian. I'm glad to learn that all is progressing well...and positively.

    As for being able to speak six languages...I hope that the most important one of all is able to be spoken...and that is the language of love. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha-ha! You can be soppy after all you big soft thing!

      Delete
    2. Of course, I am a softie, Yorkie. I've never said I wasn't I've never denied being so.

      Delete
  5. Waking up from a dream to good news is the best thing that can happen. Ian still has the same expression today as in the first photo. His life is well-balanced: good family background, intellegent, good looking, successful career and an intellegent lady on the horizon, what more could you ask for. Congratulations Ian! I think Ian is my son's age, 29?
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. Our daughter is 29. Ian is 33 Maria. Middle age is calling.

      Delete
  6. 'Keep Children Under Control'. A forlorn hope these days I fear. Please don't refer to someone under 60 as 'nearing middle age'. I've just sent someone celebrating the 65th anniversary of his birth a 'welcome to middle age card.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If my vegan daughter married your vegan son would we be related?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would be my step grandma.

      Delete
  8. That is excellent news, YP. I do hope it all works out for your Ian. It's wonderful to see offspring happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bubble could be pricked but as time advances its surface becomes more leathery.

      Delete
  9. Just mailed the Bosh! cookbook to my son in law for his birthday which is tomorrow. And, giving another copy to my son, whose birthday is next week. Good for Ian. They surely have something and seem to be getting great advice about the steps to take to keep the good times coming. If they don't have an agent, they should find one to help them out so they don't burn out. Just my opinion, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They got it right from the beginning PT. Without an agent and later the enthusiastic support of the Harper Collins publishing team, they would not have got thisfar. Thank you for your interest and positive thoughts.

      Delete
  10. This must have been a very long sleepless night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure what you mean Red.

      Delete
    2. Well can you go back to sleep after a bad dream let alone a telephone call!

      Delete
  11. Great news for and from Ian!
    You talking about the dream you had reminded me if how I dreamt some weird stuff last weekend, stuff I still remembered the moment I woke up, but that began slipping away almost instantly until a few seconds later, all I knew was that it had been weird... without even remembering where I was in that dream, who else was there and so on. Isn't our mind and how it works the most wonderful, complex and strange thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I think these dreams - often unremembered - are just the tip of an iceberg.

      Delete
  12. How wonderful to wake to hear so much happiness from your son! I have a copy of their book but will be getting another later as a Christmas gift for my vegan granddaughter. Like Peace Thyme, we Americans are helping to sell their book here! It is exciting to hear of Ian's continued success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your tangible support Bonnie!

      Delete
  13. Ah, the energy of youth! Seriously, it's great to hear things are continuing to go so well for him, though how he could manage to be riding around town on a Boris bike after two hours at the gym I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits