20 September 2018

Sunniness

Yesterday it was ordinariness. Today it's sunniness. But I am not talking about the golden orb that floats across the sky each day like a big yellow balloon. No. I am thinking about human nature and the way we memorise our lives.

We talk of glass half full and glass half empty people. The former are blessed with sunny dispositions - optimistic and positive, seeing the world through rose-tinted spectacles. The latter are more circumspect, tending to expect the worst with cloudy, glum or negative dispositions.

Essentially, can we ever change our characters? If the sunniness is there you can't help it just as a morose or pessimistic nature cannot be changed. That's what I think anyway. Besides, it's likely that most of us fall between the two extremes. Sometimes sunny - sometimes overcast - just like the sky.

As some long term visitors to this blog may recall, I began teaching kids at the age of eighteen and finished in my sixtieth year. That's a long association with schoolteaching - some forty two years and of course before that I was the son of a village schoolmaster. I was even born in the school house attached to our village school.

Naturally, I have many memories of teaching. I was hard-working and passionate about my subject - English.  I was creative and effective and  I know I had a positive impact upon the lives of hundreds of young people. There was laughter, many happy exchanges and lessons when you could hear a pin drop. I gave it my all. And yet, and yet... somehow I best remember the bad days - days when there were incidents, days when something went wrong. I would love to sweep them all away and replace them with sunny memories. I really would. But I can't.

For example. At the school where I spent the last twenty three years of my career, there was a fifteen year old boy called Michael. I blogged about him back in 2010. Go here. if you are interested. The memory of that time is seared in my memory like a terrible tattoo. More than thirty years later, the ink has hardly faded.

I could go back further to 1972 when I was teaching on the island of Rotuma. I had to get the school bus to the north of the island every morning. Rotuma High School at Malhaha was three miles away. Sometimes I had a lot of stuff to carry.

One Friday afternoon two pupils who lived in the same village as me agreed to carry two piles of exercise books back home for me. They needed marking over the weekend. I asked them to call in at my house on Monday morning - ready to carry the books back to the school but Fauholi and Jimi didn't turn up. They had not forgotten. They had made a deliberate choice not to pick up the books.

I told Aisea - the headmaster - about this and he dragged the two boys out of their first lesson of the week. After thrashing them, he led them down to the beach adjacent to the school and briefly explained the next phase of their punishment. 

There was a big pile of rocks on the beach - each rock weighing several pounds. Fauholi and Jimi had to move that pile to the other end of the beach and this they did in the hot tropical sun and when the job was finished they had to move the rocks back to their original position. It took all day and by the end of it they were exhausted.

After that the boys were fully compliant for the rest of my sojourn upon their beautiful island but it was a grudging compliance and in their eyes I could always see thinly-veiled resentment. I never asked them to do me any more favours and I also fretted about whether or not I could have handled the situation differently. Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned it to the fearsome Aisea.

Why should I remember all of  that so vividly and not happy times in the classroom or teaching lads to play rugby on the school field or the singing club on Wednesday afternoons when my room was filled to overflowing while other teachers' clubs were underpopulated?

Someone with a sunnier disposition would have relegated Michael and Fauholi and Jimi and all the rest of the bad stuff to oblivion as happy memories rose to the surface in glorious detail. I cannot change who I am. I want to embrace the sunniness but the gloom so often gets in the way.

21 comments:

  1. Somebody needs a hug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are they available from Amazon?

      Delete
    2. Yes, but not Prime. You will have to pay for shipping. At 10 stone, I don't think the purchase with shipping is worth it.

      Delete
    3. I will just have to settle for a virtual hug then.

      Delete
  2. I don't think we forget the bad times. I know I remember both the good and the bad and some of the bad occasions on my job from many years back still haunt me today. I often question why I can't let go of them but there are a few that stay with me. I am not really a "glass half empty" person either. I guess there are some things that hurt deep enough to leave a scar. I'm sorry you have some of those scars as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sending virtual hugs as well! We all need them sometimes!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your reflections Bonnie. It is a tricky subject to address as it is rarely aired...Hey, don't squeeze so hard!

      Delete
  3. To forget the bad times also means that we do not learn from them, Whether the bad things happen due to our own mistakes and wrong decisions, or those of others, or circumstances beyond anyone's control - the experience can teach us something and shapes us just like the good stuff.

    I want to comment on yesterday's post but I know you do not always go back to look at comments on your older post, so I am writing this here:

    To make our own choices, even in things as simple as the type of sandwich or drink we want, is one expression of our dignity as humans. Therefore, we should not begrudge someone this small piece of dignity when we extend our generosity to them. I must admit I would not want to give money to someone who'd spend it on drugs or to fuel their gambling addiction, but even that seems a bit nanny-ish, doesn't it? If I give, I give wholeheartedly, and if I think the person is not worthy of what I can give, I simply don't give.

    Now for the ordinariness: Much as I like to break out of it from time to time, I do love my daily life and feel comfortable and secure in my routines. Even something like my daily shower is nice - the luxury of hot water straight from the tap, the coconut-scented shower gel, the clean towels afterwards... plenty to like about those routines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to say that in Germany, there is a saying that a cook in love will use too much salt... consider that next time you eat an overly salted sauce that Shirley made :-)

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your thoughts about the homeless man's request.

      Coconut shower gel? I prefer mango-scented shower gel from Lidl. I wonder why they don't do other scents - like potato or cabbage?

      Regarding your first paragraph. I agree that the bad stuff can be educational but I suppose that the point I was making is that in some people's minds memories of the bad stuff are more prominent while those of a more sunny disposition are able to relegate such memories to the shadows.

      Delete
  4. It has always been my belief a person doesn't change. A person gains knowledge...but their inner being, their true self does not change. That is my belief. Of course, I've grown older, and continue doing so every second of every day, but I've not change. I am still the person I have always been. An individual who has matured through the years since childhood, of course, but I, myself and me is still one and the same person I have been for the past almost 74 years. (And, I sure as hell am not going to change now)!

    To steal from Popeye - (I know he won't mind) - "I yam what I yam!"

    I remember at the age of 19 discussing that very subject with a couple of friends. One, my boyfriend at the time(later my second husband, Randall) and I were like-minded about the subject, but one of the friends - a friend of Randall's since their high school days - disagreed. The other member of the little group was undecided.

    The bad things that have happened during my years on this earth, and I've experienced more than my share, remain vivid in my mind. The majority of my memories of the bad instances/incidents do not see the light of day, There are very few people with whom I share/discuss such things; but, unforgotten, they remain hidden in the depths of my mind... pigeon-holed away in files that will never be misplaced as long as I am alive.

    I remember many, many happy times, too...but not every single moment or occurrence. Millions of memories are filed away in one's mind. Many of which come to the fore when least expected. I do have a very memory; sometimes that is a good thing; sometimes it is a curse.

    Like the most of us, I dare to state....I have "sunny" days, and I have "cloudy" days. The "cloudy" days I keep to myself. I find it easier and simpler to put on a "happy face", and smile when people ask "How are you?" There is enough gloom and doom in this world today without me adding to it! :)

    The headmaster you described above, in my opinion, was the one who needed a few good whacks! His actions were out of control. He was the one who should have been taken down behind the shed and told a few facts about life.

    (I, too, like Librarian, point out I commented further on your previous post re Bergerac etc,, etc...explaining my lack of knowledge. Proof, once again - dammit - I do not know everything!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I sit here sipping a glass of delicious bergerac - surely the best wine to emerge from the vineyards of France - I note your point that in your judgement people don't change - not really. I agree with that. The being that was in me when I was a boy is still here now - just more experienced, more files in the memory banks. And who wants to know the truth when folk ask "How are you?" We just have to soldier on.

      Delete
  5. I'm definitely a glass half full all the time. I even remember most of the rotters in a sunny way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way you come across in your blog, you certainly seem naturally "sunny" Red.

      Delete
  6. I'm a curmudgeon and we collect grievances like lint. Mostly though, I consider myself misunderstood. Memories of my mistakes do tend to plague me, however, at certain times. I try not to look back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We might "try not to look back" but the way our minds work means that the memories will re-surface. Because of who we are we are probably incapable of selection. It is the memories that choose.

      Delete
  7. If I think about my life in a glass half/full empty way I'd be a proper grump if I didn't find it weighing in on the glass half full side.
    I'll also say the orb in the sky, or it's absence, plays a defining part in how I might view each day.
    Have I addressed the topic correctly Sir?
    And that was no way to treat those two boys. What was that man's real problem?
    Alphie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here in England SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) is a real issue for thousands of people. Winter tends to bring out the blues. With regard to Aisea's discipline - it was just part of Rotuman culture. If you mis-behaved you paid the price. Those rock piles had been shifted many times. Mind you, looking back, behaviour was generally excellent. In spite of the lack of resources, it was an easy place to teach

      Delete
  8. I don't know what I think about this. Uncharacteristically, I might add.

    Just wanted you to know!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's natural to remember things that go wrong. After all, that's what makes them stand out from the ordinary events of the day-to-day. Look at it this way -- MOST of your days went well, and that's why you can't remember them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your "Michael" post was interesting. Somehow I knew before I finished it that he was headed for prison!

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits