3 February 2020

99

"99 Luftballons" by the German band Nena was translated into English as "99 Red Balloons" even though a literal translation would have been "99 Air Balloons". The song  was written in German by the band's  lead guitarist Carlo Karges after he had seen a large group of balloons blowing towards the Berlin Wall during a 1982 Rolling Stones concert in West Berlin. The notion of what might conceivably have resulted sparked his imagination.
Upon hearing the song for the first time, the band's distinctive singer Nena (Gabriele Susanne Kerner) said to the writer, "Oh Carlo, that's the best song you have ever written". She claims she "got really big goosebumps" too.

You might say that "99 Luftballons" is an anti-war song. It considers how a nuclear war might be caused by human error on the basis of something as innocuous as a bunch of party balloons. 

A literal translation of the very last verse finds the narrator discovering the lost balloon -the one that would have made up a hundred - but it is too late, the damage has been done:-
Ninety-nine years of war
Left no place for victors
There are no longer any ministers of war
And also no jet fighters
Today I'm making my rounds
I see the world lying in ruins
I have found a balloon
I think of you and let it fly
It is interesting that the band never really approved of the English version - "99 Red Balloons" and refused to perform it during their active gigging years. As they say, things can often get lost in translation - but somehow, ever since I first heard this song it has haunted me somewhat. The simple message within it didn't get lost.

17 comments:

  1. I remember the first time I heard that song, lying in my room one night when I was in high school. It immediately struck me as an impressive song, and when I heard the German version I liked it even more. Nena always sounded more authentic singing the German version -- more invested -- and now that makes sense, if they didn't particularly care for the English one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must confess that I had never listened to the German version until I paused to do a little research for this blogpost.

      Delete
    2. In the states, as I recall, they initially played the English version on the radio, but after it caught on they began playing the German one, too.

      Delete
  2. November, 2019 being the 30th anniversary of the coming down of the Berlin Wall..the falling of the Berlin Wall...five years after the song's release...seven years after The Rolling Stones concert...and a year before the fall of the Berlin Wall, Joe Cocker performed in Dresden...combined it all somehow makes one feel music helped in its demise...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to think that songs sometimes do play their part as in "Free Nelson Mandela" by The Specials (1984).

      Delete
  3. I remember the German version well. I wonder what all those East Germans thought seeing things from the West but not being allowed to participate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a key for a poem ADDY. I bet they could hear the din from The Stones' concert.

      Delete
  4. I loved that song, still do. That woman has a beautiful voice. I'm always more interested in people's life stories, Nena went into cardiac arrest during the birth of her first child, and he died at 11 months. It always amazes me how much people go through and keep on going. She had four more children and is a grandma now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also interested in people's backgrounds and in Wikipedia frequently look at the "Personal Life" sections.

      Delete
  5. I love women with hairy armpits. Great song too. The Germans love their Rock music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How often do you love women with hairy armpits Northsider?

      Delete
    2. Nena is a proper lass. I bet she smokes tabs and sups pints too. Good song choice YP.

      Delete
    3. Cough-cough! She's German old lad - not Irish!

      Delete
  6. I've always loved that song. I enjoyed hearing the history of it.

    By the way, our Kansas City Chiefs won the Super Bowl last night! There were fireworks and celebrating all night over the area. All schools are closed Wednesday for the big celebration parade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched the game live on the BBC Bonnie! Hurrah for The Kansas City Chiefs and for Patrick Mahomes - the matchwinner!

      Delete
    2. That young man is quite the amazing quarterback and very kind and humble as well. It is good to see the trophy finally return to Kansas City where it originated.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits