5 February 2020

Shepley

Emley Moor Television Mast dominates the landscape around Shepley.
It is the tallest free standing structure in The British Isles.
When I was at secondary school - what Americans call "high school" - I was a keen rugby player. And I was good at it too. Rugby matches and practice sessions involved a lot of tackling and falling over. On wet winter days you would frequently leave the field - covered in mud. 

I don't play rugby any more. As you know, I like to go out walking, plodding the miles - different paths, different landscapes. And whereas in my rugby playing days I regularly tumbled to the ground without concern, nowadays I am a little fearful of slipping on muddy paths. I walk patiently, doing my damnedest to avoid falling at all costs.

Yesterday I caught a train to the village of Shepley near Huddersfield and undertook a glorious seven or eight mile walk in unfamilar territory. It took me to a village called Thurstonland. It was first mentioned as Tostenland in the Domesday Book of 1086 but it is believed that long  before that it was known as "Thorsteinn's land" in Old Norse. It sits high upon a ridge with The Holme Valley below.
Plaque on a stone in St Thomas's Churchyard, Thorstonland
Some of the paths I took were treacherous and though I picked my way along them very carefully, I managed to fall down twice - as if suddenly flung to the ground by invisible rugby players. Thank heavens there is no video footage of these two falls - I would be a laughing stock I am sure.
There's Emley Moor mast again.
Now when you fall in mud, you get wet and well, muddy. Though I was mercifully unhurt, my left side was brown and soggy. I marched onward to Fulstone and then to Shepley Wood End and Shepley Marsh. Looking at my muddy watch I realised that I would have to keep up a good pace if I was going to catch the 15.30 train back to Sheffield.

I just made it and then bustled along to the last carriage where I plonked myself in a vacant seat. No sooner had I deposited my corporeal vessel than a sweet young Indian woman - no doubt a student at The University of Huddersfield - came over to speak to me, asking if I was okay and pointing out that my left side was muddy brown. Could she help me - did I need some water?

I explained that I had fallen over on a muddy path and that I was okay but I was very touched that a complete stranger would show concern like that. After all, she had no idea who she was talking to. I might have been a crazed racist or an axe murderer which - dear readers - I can assure you I am not.

Leaving Sheffield Midland Station, I remembered to pause by The Site Gallery to take this picture of its illuminated parapet. It is a message we can all appreciate even though some things do in fact stay the same:-

29 comments:

  1. The young woman was kind indeed. This is the second act of kindness I have read about on blogs today--Weaver experienced one, too. Good to hear.

    And though I am loathe to suggest it (knowing how much you love suggestions), you might consider taking a stout walking stick or one of those collapsible ones when clamoring over unknown paths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes a stick would not prevent falls and in various situations would be a hindrance but thanks for your kind concern Mary.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  2. I, too, was going to ask about a walking stick. My husband made me one of the lightest wood and yet, it's sturdy. I do take it with me but my walking paths are quite different from yours and I suppose that I could try to fend off a dog with it if I needed to. "...try to fend off..." being the operative words. My grandfather always used to take his walks with a stick in order to "poke things" he claimed. I think of that all the time and sometimes I do give an ant hill a little poke just in honor of him.
    How sweet of that woman! Restores your faith, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly does in this day and age.

      Delete
  3. It was kind of that young woman to show concern for one of the old folk. Perhaps you looked too weak and feeble to be a threat?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The young woman was very kind. No doubt she would have made sure you get help had you needed it. I am not sure I would have done the same as a young woman. Now that I am well into my middle age, I am not worried about approaching strange men, but in my younger years, I would have been afraid to be misunderstood in my intentions. Silly, I know.
    Walking sticks? O.K. has a very professional looking pair of hiking sticks, but they are definitely not my kind of thing. I want my hands free. Sometimes on our hikes, I need both hands to support myself on rocks or tree trunks, either climbing up or down a steep path. Sticks would only be in the way then. Interestingly enough, O.K. does not use them anymore, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not for me either Meike. Once every so often a stick might be useful but usually it would be a hindrance. I need my hands free for using my camera.

      Delete
  5. You only had to ask and we could have told you how muddy it is (and no we don't live in that big house at Fulstone, although sometimes we wish we did).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realise that you lived in that area Tasker. I would have called round for a mug of tea and some pork crackling.

      Delete
    2. No pork crackling in veggie houses.

      Delete
    3. Okay - avocado crackling then!

      Delete
  6. About twelve years or so ago I went through a strange phase of falling. Resulting in breakages (wrists and stuff). The first fall entirely due to my renewed interest in roller skating and kissing a wall. I fell backwards. According to the Angel (my son) who in his early teens took up skate boarding what you do NOT do is stretch out your arm to break the fall. What you do do is "roll off your shoulder". Brilliant advice. Except that in the few nanoseconds I felt myself falling REFLEX kicked in. Yes, stretching out my arm to break the beeping fall.

    Not that I am not sympathetic, YP, but what's a bit of mud on impact compared to tarmac?

    Stay safe, don't slip, and even if you do [slip] try not to hit your head on something hard - it may result in total personality change (friend of mine). What was so terrible about that incident, and shows you that Schadenfreude is misplaced, she and her friend were walking along the pavement, as it turned out on black ice. Her friend fell, my friend (the damaged case) laughed out loud - only to then, promptly, fall herself. With rather nasty consequences. Next time I came to visit her son opened the door and whispered to me: "She isn't the same any more".

    U

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One's life can be utterly changed in an instant - just through an unexpected fall. How sad were those whispered words! "She isn't the same any more". We know a woman who had a fall down some stone steps at a wedding last October. She is still in hospital and those whispered words could certainly be applied to her. She was on the verge of becoming a fully qualified doctor - but now that will never happen.

      Delete
  7. Yikes - good thing it was mud ... although, without the mud, the fall would likely not have happened, I suppose. Very kind of that young woman to be concerned and offer to help.

    That is a lovely moss-covered stone wall in the third photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is but most Yorkshire folk would not give it a moment's thought. We are so used to such walls but I certainly do see the beauty and the history Jenny.

      Delete
  8. I am thankful you were not harmed in your fall. A slippery surface can quickly cause an unexpected fall. I love your picture of the stone wall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the north of England, most people take stone walls for granted but they are accidentally beautiful structures. Many have stood for three or four hundred years - sometimes longer.

      Delete
  9. "High school" is the term here, too...or it is the term used by most. (No...my nickname isn't..."Most").

    It's always been high school to me. Some do use "secondary school"...but I stick with what I'm used to calling the establishment.

    I know me saying this is redundant...but you must be careful when walking out and about by yourself. I don't roam around like you do...nor do I play rugby. My hips wouldn't allow me to do so, for one thing.

    There is little I am afraid of, but I do fear falling, The chances of falling multiply as one grows older. I live alone. If I fell inside this cabin, and knocked myself out...no one would know.

    It was very thoughtful and kind of that young woman to enquire after your welfare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the town where I went school only girls attended Beverley High School so I have always thought of "high schools" as being places where girls are educated in girlish things like painting nails, baking scones, bathing babies and walking in stiletto heels. Or am I being accidentally sexist? I worked in secondary schools for thirty five years - not one of them was called a "high school".

      Delete
    2. You do "talk" some nonsense sometimes, Yorkie...but you are aware of that! :)

      The high school I attended was co-educational...as was the primary school I attended.

      Different strokes for different folks...different names used in different countries.

      Delete
  10. I just read the Weaver of grass and she had the same story about a kind deed that had been done for her. Now the falling down gets worse as you get older. I can assure you of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes there is no alternative but to carry on along the muddy path.

      Delete
  11. I just wanted to tell you that I've been using your photos as screensavers for about a year now. Number 3 on this post is my latest one. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am honoured that you do that Jennifer. It's nice to think of my pictures on a screen in South Carolina.

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits