10 February 2020

"Parasite"

Last night in Hollywood, "Parasite" won the Oscar for "Best Picture". To be honest, I knew almost nothing about it - except that it was a Korean film requiring subtitles and that it had won the "Palme d'Or" at the Cannes Film Festival last summer,

Today, as the British Isles recovered from Storm Ciara, and feeling somewhat curious about the Oscar winner, I travelled into the city centre to watch a lunchtime screening of "Parasite". Sitting back in my upholstered seat, I waited for the magic to happen.

It is a beautifully crafted film, fitting happily together like a thousand piece jigsaw. The attention to detail is quite uncommon. It is easy to see how those who work in the movie industry would be impressed with it.

"Parasite" is a mixture of comedy, tragedy, horror, mystery, absurdity and psycho-drama. It revolves around two families - one from the upper echelons of South Korean society and the other from the next to bottom rung. Reading the English subtitles means that you engage differently with what transpires on  screen. It's an untypical kind of concentration.

In terms of cinematic quality, I really have no idea how you could possibly compare "Parasite" with "1917". The latter is a large historical canvas but Bong Joon-ho's film is domestic and rather intimate. The latter is largely serious but "Parasite" is often very silly. I don't mean that in a disparaging way. Silliness is generally underrated and is certainly a human trait worth exploring through film.

I won't say any more about the plot - in case you go to see "Parasite" yourself. In the end, I thought that the plural form of the word would have made a more appropriate title.

17 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I would say that I am more rugged than beautiful.

      Delete
  2. Your comment about reading the subtitles making for a different type of engagement with what is transpiring onscreen perfectly describes why I can no longer enjoy cinema or TV. It is very hard work trying to keep up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were moments when I missed the linked subtitles and other times when I missed the imagery.

      Delete
  3. I find the same with sub-titles. I'm always missing something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to keep up and we are both good readers who feel comfortable with written words.

      Delete
  4. As I always do each year, I watched the Oscar presentations live. I wasn't surprised that "Parasite" won the gong for Best Picture. There was a lot of "talk" prior to Award night pointed that way...towards it and, also "1917".

    Taking out four awards was quite an achievement.

    "Parasite" was released in Australia back in June. I've not yet seen the movie, of course. I probably will eventually, but not in a theatre.

    I just hope the subtitles are legible. So many subtitles in movies/series are so small I can't be bothered trying to decipher them. And when the colour of the subtitles blend in with the background colour I just give up completely, and can't be bothered watching further.

    "Parasite" winning the Best Picture Oscar, along with the other three it received, will be a huge boost for South Korean film-making, that's one thing that is a certainty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that the subtitles are primarily designed for cinema viewing and not for TV screens in people's homes. You are right - it will be a big cultural lift for South Korea.

      Delete
    2. No...that is not entirely true what you say about subtitles, Yorkie. Subtitled made-for-TV movies and series have the same problem. The problem embraces all.

      Delete
    3. Furthermore...having to read subtitles in movies/series annoys me in another way, too. I like to watch people's faces...to note their expressions.

      In real life when speaking with another person I look them in the eye. I don't have my eyes lodged on their belly buttons, chests, or elsewhere.

      A person's facial expressions so often express far more than their words do.

      Delete
    4. I agree and I found that a frustration when viewing "Parasite".

      Delete
  5. I watched the Oscars last night and I must say I was surprised to see that "Parasite" won not only Best Picture but also several other awards. I have not seen it, but from what I had heard about "1917" I almost thought it was a sure thing. But then I don't always understand how the Academy chooses the winners these days. Remember when "The Shape of Water" won a few years ago? I never did understand how that won. I will see "Parasite" whenever it becomes available on TV probably.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In selecting it The Academy may have been slightly swayed by diversity criticisms but it is still a very good film.

      Delete
  6. i have watched a lot of subtitled film over the years and was always happy to do so but lately I have found that there are days when i just can't be bothered. I'm not sure what changed.

    Parasite sounds worth seeing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think one has to concentrate more when viewing subtitled films.

      Delete
  7. I had heard so very little about this film but it sure did seem to impress the Academy.
    Glad you liked it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just curious about it but not disappointed. Also interesting to see the Korean setting.

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits