8 July 2022

Edge

The Salt Cellar on Derwent Edge

Yesterday... in need of a long walk, I travelled out of the city along the A57 until I came to the turn off to Strines. Soon Clint was parked up and I set off along the by-road, passing "The Strines Inn"  and then up onto The Derwent Moors.

It was a mile long slog up to Derwent Edge with its various millstone outcrops. I met no one along the way until just before The Wheelstones I bumped into Paul, an ex-military man from Colchester. He told me that he was fifty seven years old and that his nickname was Shabba after Shabba Ranks - the reggae star. "I used to be a bit of a ladies man before I got married," he chortled.

Approaching The Wheelstones on Derwent Edge

In the British countryside, it is quite unusual to see Afro-Caribbean people out walking. It's the same with Asians. Articles have been written about this. However, Paul had travelled the world as a soldier so why should he be daunted about a long ramble? After all, this is the country he fought for.

My lovely walk lasted almost exactly four hours. It was territory I had explored before but I had not been up on Derwent Edge for perhaps ten years. "You took your bloody time!" snapped Clint as I lifted his tailgate.

Cakes of Bread on Derwent Edge

Back home, I made the evening meal and later snoozed on our Layzee-Boy sofa, completely forgetting that Mike and Danny were going to pick me up at 7.45 to take me to the Crookes Folk Club in the upstairs room of "The Princess Royal".

It was a great evening. Both Mike and Danny played songs. It was the first time I had heard Danny and I especially enjoyed the song he sang from West Virginia - about coal mining. Well done Danny! I have seen Mike many times and he was as brilliant as ever though I had never before heard him sing "Out On The Weekend" by Neil Young. Super rendition.

However, the star of the evening was undoubtedly Stanley Accrington from Oldham in Lancashire. Such an assured guitarist and a really funny guy. His mostly self-penned songs ranged from absurd ditties to heartfelt ballads. I loved his version of "The Dirty Blackleg Miner" - so bitter and a timely reminder that industrial action has always been a vital tool for working folk protecting their rights and their livelihoods. Stanley Accrington has been on the folk circuit for forty five years. I shook his hand and thanked him before we left. Here's a flavour of Stanley Accrington's creativity that I found on YouTube:-

21 comments:

  1. Loved the somewhat sacrilegious but spot-on video. Also loved the photographs of a part of England that looks like another planet. The burning question I have is, "I know how one identifies an Afro person but how does one know he or she is Caribbean?" I have never run across the term Afro-Caribbean before -- is it a UK thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The black people in England can trace their ancestries back to either Africa or Caribbean islands like Jamaica and Barbados. Hence the term Afro-Caribbean. It is used widely here and is generally embraced by the people to whom it applies.

      Delete
  2. I know exactly what you mean when you say you were in need of a long walk. This week, I managed to get in two long-ish walks of roughly 2 hours each plus two short ones of just about one hour, plus a few A to B walks for work and errands.
    None of it was in surroundings as beautiful as yours, though. But soon... soon!! My sister and I shall start our first Yorkshire Holiday since 2019 next week Saturday, if all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are experiencing lovely summer weather right now. I hope it holds out for the two of you in Ripon.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous1:39 pm

    Bit of meeting a hero then, after meeting Stanley. Your walk sounds nice. I am always curious about how different races get along and how they integrate into society. As you describe, there is some integration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There certainly is integration. My children have various black and Asian friends.

      Delete
  4. Well, I watched the entire video and it was lovely up to the point where the women started criticizing the sandals and so forth. Why do men think that women do things like this? I know, I KNOW- just a silly song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some women do think like that but not the women who visit this blog!

      Delete
  5. You had good weather for your walk YP. Intriguing stones - shaped by man or nature?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All by Dame Barbara Hepworth... Only kidding - all completely natural.

      Delete
  6. I could watch Stanley all day. Such a clever and very funny man. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has written hundreds of songs. Some funny, some angry, some intimate and heartfelt. Brilliant fellow.

      Delete
  7. That gave me a good laugh this morning, Neil! Thanks, I needed that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad it "translated" to the American ear Ellen.

      Delete
  8. When I saw "Edge" I thought you were going back to Stanage. I didn't realize you have more than one Edge in your part of the world! Sounds like a fun walk and an interesting evening. Do you remember the name of the coal mining song?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I don't remember Steve. I will ask him on Sunday.

      Delete
  9. There are many hardworking journey man musicians out there who are well worth listening to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good way of describing him Red.

      Delete
  10. Were you feeling on edge? I know, a bad pun:)

    Sounds like a wonderful walk. I'm back on my feet and looking forward to walks again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well that was certainly a different take on the birth. I've always wondered about the Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh myself. Wouldn't a few blankets and some food have been a better gift?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't say this often but I wish America was more like Britain when it comes to walking trails. I would do a lot more walking if it were.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits