14 March 2024

Elk

Every state in The United States has its own official song. I have been listening to some of them recently and reading their stirring lyrics. Of course people from around the world are familiar with a good bunch of the fifty states - including California, Alaska, Texas and Florida but some other states are easily forgotten, more obscure. They include Idaho up in the north west but many miles from The Pacific Ocean.

In terms of  land area, Idaho is a little smaller than The United Kingdom with a population of just under two million. In America it is often known as The Potato State but another nickname is The Gem State - both for obvious reasons. Idaho has various state parks and boasts some of the wildest natural areas in the entire nation.

As regular visitors to this blog know, I am geographically inquisitive and rather than focusing on Idaho as a whole, I decided to dig a little deeper and picked a small settlement in the northern heart of the state called Elk City. It is located roughly at the tip of the gunman's rifle in the map shown below

Elk City did not exist until the 1860's when it became the centre of a minor goldrush. Many of those who arrived were Chinese but later the mining activity was dominated by white miners and panners seeking fortunes. Elk City serviced their needs as they fanned out to the nearby mountains. By the nineteen thirties the gold boom was more or less over. Today, the remote settlement has a population of only 170 but some gold is still found in the region. By the way, the last eighteen miles of the D14 road into Elk City from the west were not paved until 1980.

The pictures that accompany this blogpost were all snipped from Google Streetview imagery. Actually, coverage in this remote area  is surprisingly incomplete with only the main road through Elk City going blue when you move the little golden man over the map.

I would love to make my way to Elk City but I don't suppose I ever will. I would stay at the "Elk City Hotel" shown below:-
Of this establishment, a 2013 Trip Advisor contributor wrote: 
"They are not the Ritz, nor do they claim to be. It is the only functioning hotel in the city. The staff is super attentive. The room was clean. In fact my husband lost a bottle top and in his search for it he looked all around the kitchen even under the the refrigerator. It was very clean even there. Not even dust. This room could stand some remodeling. At the very least a coat of paint. The couch must have been replaced since the previous reviewer. We were tickled pink to find that it had recliners at both ends. The TV reception was fine. We didn't really have a lot of time for TV. This area is magnificent. The beauty around there is breathtaking. If you go make sure to take some drives around the area. We drove over the mountain to Selway Falls. The road is unpaved. It was only really rough for a couple of miles. The beauty abounds on the entire drive. There are two places on the drive where you feel like the king of the mountain as you can see both valleys at the same time. Elk City, Idaho is a very beautiful setting. All of the people we met there were very pleasant and helpful. We hope to go back again soon. There are so many more roads to traverse."
Homes by Main Street, Elk City

The little city still has its own post office so if I was staying in Elk I might mosey down there to post a few postcards. I guess it remains an important link to the outside world for those who dwell hereabouts.

And finally, I know that you are keen to hear the Idaho state song. It is called "Here We Have Idaho":-

VERSE 1
You’ve heard of the wonders our land does possess,
Its beautiful valleys and hills.
The majestic forests where nature abounds,
We love every nook and rill

CHORUS
And here we have Idaho,
Winning her way to fame.
Silver and gold in the sunlight blaze,
And romance lies in her name.
Singing, we’re singing of you,
Ah, proudly too. All our lives thru,
We’ll go singing, singing of you,
Singing of Idaho.

35 comments:

  1. That looks about as far from my life experience as it's possible to get and still be in America.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am surprised that you never went to Idaho on hunting expeditions Steve!

      Delete
  2. I have yet to see Idaho myself. But I love the fact that these little towns still have some life left in them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you could be like Travel Penguin and aim to visit every state in The Union?

      Delete
  3. I'm surprised there were no verses about all the gun-toting right wingers who have made their homes there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shooters go travelling in big SUV's
      With rifles upon their rear seat
      And Trump bumper stickers displayed on the back
      They pray for Joe Biden's defeat.

      Delete
  4. I've been through Idaho. It's a beautiful state. So it is called the potato state and as you drive along the shoulders of the road are covered with potatoes. Take a bag along and you can pick up a year's supply of potatoes off the road.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the bloggers I follow is from Idaho. I also have a real life friend that lives there. There are many states (including Idaho) I'll probably never get to. One of my brothers just completed his goal of visiting every state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How many states have you visited Kelly?....Have you been in the state of Inebriation?

      Delete
    2. I can't tell you offhand how many US states I've visited, but I can tell you I've been to the state of Inebriation a number of times. Just not anytime in recent years. It's not a friendly place for people my age.

      Delete
    3. I have been to Inebriation too Kelly but I cannot remember the state song. Like you I haven't been there in a long, long time. It is better that way.

      Delete
  6. Elk City looks like a very quiet place, peaceful. I never knew gold was found there. One of my readers lives in and blogs from Idaho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess there are only four things to do in Idaho - gold mining, hunting bears, potato farming and blogging.

      Delete
  7. What comes to my mind when I hear the word "Idaho" is the song by the B52s, "Private Idaho".
    The pictures you found on Google Street View make it look like the setting of a road movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you ever go on a road trip courtesy of Google Streetview?

      Delete
    2. I have done a few "tours" of Ripon some years ago, but since I am already spending a lot of time at computer screens for work, I try to limit screen time in my spare time.

      Delete
    3. I can understand that. In contrast I have oodles of spare time. I wonder how you will do in Sunday night's quiz. You'll have to catch up with it on Monday morning.

      Delete
  8. Dora, a fellow blogger lives in Idaho, a town named Bonners Ferry.
    Should I visit Elk City, I think I will sleep in the car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora is an odd name for a fellow.

      Delete
    2. Neil, you always manage to crack me up! And God knows I can do with a laugh today.

      Delete
    3. I thought that Data Security was a laugh a minute!

      Delete
    4. It sometimes is - but I am sad today as O.K.'s Dad died on Wednesday night.

      Delete
  9. I wish I could see the potatoes growing there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why not Google "Idaho potato field" and then click on Images?

      Delete
  10. Yes that worked YP.👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good. They have some huge potato fields there don't they?

      Delete
  11. Fly into Salt Lake City, rent a car, make sure it is full of gas, there are some long stretches of rolling prairie, plan the route ahead of time, there are some long stretches without hotels. Idaho was the last of my 50 state tour, I was down in the bottom right hand corner of the map for a night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gas? I prefer to put petrol in the tank! Gas could be dangerous as it is so well, gaseous!

      Delete
  12. Oh my. Cross Elk City off my bucket list. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its nothing like Lloyd FL that's for sure.

      Delete
  13. So this inspired me to look for the anthem for my state, Illinois, as I didn't realize we had one. These anthems are a bit weird and may need some updating. I wonder if that is ever done?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you heard your country calling, Illinois, Illinois,
      Where the shot and shell were falling, Illinois, Illinois,
      When the Southern host withdrew,
      Pitting Gray against the Blue,
      There were none more brave than you, Illinois, Illinois,
      There were none more brave than you, Illinois.

      Delete
  14. I do hope that your blog hasn't started a mad rush to visit Elk City - that hotel doesn't look as though it will accomodate more than half a dozen! Has Air B&B reached there yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. It hasn't Carol. You will have to bunk up with me. I hope you don't snore!

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits