5 March 2024

Nearby

Above - that may look like a scene deep in the English countryside but those stone gateposts and that wooden gate are on a busy roundabout in an area of Sheffield called Hunter's Bar. It is a twelve minute walk from this house. In fact it is that gate that gave the suburb its name. As long ago as the seventeenth century it was on a turnpike road and it caused travellers on horseback or pulling carts or leading teams of packhorses to stop and pay their tolls. Presumably, at some time the Hunter family or a man called Hunter operated the gate.

Below, on Sharrowvale Road at Hunter's Bar, it really did feel like spring today. Two women are taking their lunch outside a vegan cafe.

Below - a woman is pausing to choose a potted plant from the florist's shop just along from the vegan cafe.
The pub below is "The Porter Cottage". I was a regular there in 1978 when I first came to live in Sheffield. It was just down from the rental house where I stayed with four women. Back then, it was a regular neighbourhood pub for people of all ages but now it very much caters for younger adults and university students. I haven't been in there for years.
Just off Sharrowvale Road  I snapped this wall art specially for Andrew in Melbourne, Australia...
Still on Sharrowvale Road, there's Hunter's Bar Primary School to the right and to the left "The Greedy Greek" restaurant and takeaway..
Below, on the corner of Hickmott Road and Neill Road,I looked over to the "Feline"  tattoo studio and considered what I might request. Perhaps a Hull City tiger on my chest or a fox on my back, pursued by hunters on horseback and the fox "going to earth" to escape them if you see what I mean.
Hunter's Bar s a pretty affluent, buzzing neighbourhood with plenty of independent shops and eateries including takeaways, four pubs and a happy atmosphere. It feels safe and when I count up, I realise that it has been a familiar feature of my life for the past forty five years.

29 comments:

  1. I love the pictures of the village on a sunny Spring day and I love the paint job on The Porter Cottage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an interesting, slightly bohemian neighbourhood.

      Delete
  2. gGod that they have kept the area in good condition. It still attracts people to the area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that's true. But it is a no-go area for Canadians.

      Delete
  3. There's definitely a feeling of Spring in these pictures of a very nice looking neighbourhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As our springtime beckons your winter lies in waiting though I am sure that an Adelaide winter is far different from a Sheffield winter!

      Delete
  4. Hunter's Bar looks like a good place to live. You chose the perfect day for a stroll there.
    As for your tattoo ideas... I'd consult with Shirley first, if I were you. After all, you won't see your own back regularly, but she might.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. She says she wants to see a floral border.

      Delete
  5. I think that shop only does cat tattoos. But you could have a piercing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's good to go for a saunter you see much more than in a car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. There's always something new to see if you keep your eyes open.

      Delete
  7. Such good public art. As Julian Clarey used to say, I thank you.
    You do live in a rather good city and I am reminded of your such fine steel making history with Sheffield Steel stamped on cutlery , every time I cut my my steak with a well made Chinese knife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Made in Sheffield" still means that the cutlery or knife you are using will be top quality. Sadly, production is not as big as it used to be.

      Delete
  8. I was going to ask what you might get pierced, but you went right "to the point" so to speak. It looks like a delightful place to live and walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though neither of us hailed from Sheffield we are happy here. It is a good city - especially the south western sector.

      Delete
  9. Yes! I do like this post very much. You live in an interesting area with natural beauty and human charm. Not a bad place to settle at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as cities go, Sheffield is a good one. There is a lot of contentment in this part of the city but some other parts of the city are quite poor and life is more of a struggle there.

      Delete
  10. Is "Feline Tattoo" so named because of the Tigers? That fox-and-hunters tattoo sounds bigger than anything I'd consider, even jokingly! Looks like a nice neighborhood, and I like the deer art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheffield's two teams are The Blades and The Owls. The Tigers are from Hull - sixty miles away.

      Delete
  11. I love the florist shop. I'd be spending money there all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would enjoy pottering around the area ADDY.

      Delete
  12. I like all of the flowers placed outside the florist's shop. Looks like a nice neighborhood and you must be happy there if you have been there so long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy enough. It's easy to want something more and to wrestle with that.

      Delete
    2. That is one cryptic statement, Neil. Now I wonder...

      Delete
  13. If that's the Hull City Tiger on the door of that tat shop, I think it would be a fitting image to have etched on your body. Very interesting neighborhood you have there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't think of it as our actual neighbourhood. A twelve minute walk in an English city can lead you to somewhere else.

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits