12 March 2024

Yassou!

The Greek Debt Crisis in 2013

At lunchtime today, I dropped Shirley off at the "Age Concern" charity shop where she volunteers twice a week and headed back home. As there was an empty parking space close by, I called in at our local post office to post a couple of items and buy some books of postage stamps. They are going up again next month.

Leaving the post office and heading back to Clint, I decided to do something I had not done in quite a while - buy my lunch from "Neptune's" fish and chip shop. They used to do a great lunchtime deal - £3 for mini fish and chips with mushy peas.. Of course that particular treat has also gone up.

Waiting for my battered fish to fry, I got talking to the couple who now run the establishment. They are in their late forties and came to England back in 2013 when the Greek economy was on its knees. They arrived with two young children and headed up to  Sheffield where they had a connection with another Greek family. That was eleven years ago.

Their children settled into school here and now their daughter is at university. Their son hopes to follow her. He is now eighteen  and plans to pursue a law degree.

The couple spoke warmly about how they'd been welcomed in this city and how neighbours and new friends had been so kind to them. They also spoke of how proud they are of their kids and how pleased they have been with their schooling. Though the husband and wife team still pine for their homeland, they are happy here and have no plans to return to Greece except for holidays.

It was so nice to hear their positivity and I could have stayed chatting to them all afternoon but I had a battered cod fish to eat, mushy peas and a huge pile of chips (American: fries). Actually, there were so  many chips that I saved most of them in  a casserole dish and this evening we had them with our evening meal. I tossed the cold chips in a little rapeseed oil and spread them on a baking tray before heating them for twenty minutes in the oven. They turned out perfectly.

It had been very nice to hear an immigrant story that was not wet with tears - nor pulsing with underlying resentment. They had made their brave move and then made the best of it. It would not surprise me if their two children now speak with Yorkshire accents.

"Yassou!" I said as I left. It means "Good health!"

35 comments:

  1. I think that there are a lot of positive immigrant stories. Thanks for sharing this one, Neil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, the vast majority of Americans are either immigrants or the descendants of immigrants. Only 3% of American citizens are Native Americans.

      Delete
  2. That is what I disliked so much about Brexit YP.. The so called European immigrants came from a Christian background and the UK and Johnson and the Tories cut off the mouth that fed them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We need to realize we are all, especially in the US, immigrants, or descendants of immigrants, and not all immigrants are bad or dangerous., This fearmongering is sickening in this country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even The Narcissist has roots in Germany and Scotland.

      Delete
  4. The key here I think is that this family integrated into the Sheffield community. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of so many recent arrivals to this country - they have made no attempt to integrate, seemingly intent on behaving as if they were still in their country of origin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To assimilate, a newcomer should try to leave a lot of the past behind and move on.

      Delete
  5. It's a huge challenge for most people to move to another country with a different language and culture. I ask myself how would I do in this situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes a generation or two to feel that you belong.

      Delete
  6. That's a heartwarming and positive story to read. These kinds of experiences are important to balance out the negative ones that seem to dominate the news.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I welcome this immigrant story too. I'm connected to several Ukrainian families now living in Canada. Despite war, I hope their life stories eventually spin positive too (especially for their children).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the end we are all just earthlings spinning around on a tiny ball. We should be there for each other.

      Delete
  8. Greek people seem to settle well wherever they end up and they make the best fish'n'chips! I must remember that trick for heating up left over chips. My grand daughter married into a Greek family, so my great grandson will probably learn the language.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have visited Greece a dozen times and have much affection for Greek people in general.

      Delete
  9. Mr and Mrs Neptune have done well for themselves and their children. The majority of immigrants are decent folk who want to work and make a new, better life for themselves and their families, but mostly it is those stories that make the news where things went awfully wrong.
    My hairdresser, let's call her M (who is also my neighbour - I can see straight into her living room from my kitchen window), was born in Syria, one of 8 children. Her family came to Germany when she was a toddler, and she barely remembers Syria. Her father died while she was still in her teens, and her mother - not speaking German - raised 8 kids mostly alone.
    M struggled through her teens, often rebellious and not doing well at school. But she wanted to work and gain independence, and the then manager of the salon round the corner from my house gave her a chance. She did well, and went on to do her "master". Her old boss retired, and at barely 30, she started running the salon herself and now manages three ladies. She married a local man and they have a little boy and a girl. She speaks more Swabian than me :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uplifting story about your hairdresser. I hope you don't use binoculars to look into her living room!

      Delete
    2. Not necessary - it is close enough! And I'm not kidding when I say that O.K. and I were eye-witnesses to the conception of her firstborn... After that incident, I advised her to pull the blinds when she and her husband were about to... erm... engage in marital activities.

      Delete
  10. I'm glad that this Greek family are happily settled in the fine city of Sheffield.
    It's interesting to note that Greece was bankrupt despite being in the EU and using the Euro currency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is still much resentment towards the EU in Greece.

      Delete
  11. It's a nice and positive story. Perhaps you should also chat to the Pakis in the corner shop too?
    Rather than original inhabitants, rather difficult in your country, perhaps born in this country is a better number judge and then who have parents who weren't born in this country. But if they are English, who really cares.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have many south Asians in this part of the city but all residents are my equals and that is how I engage with everyone. I am a bit like Jesus in that respect.

      Delete
  12. That's a good tip for re-heating chips. I'm always reluctant to try to save them because they're rarely as good when re-heated, but I haven't tried that particular method.

    I'm sure most immigrants (like me!) are happy to be here, but obviously the road is harder for those who arrive with little or no resources.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the chips, I think you would be best to eat them within 24 hours of purchase. In the meantime, the casserole dish with lid was in the fridge.

      I hate the negative stories that are put about concerning immigrants. I kind of assumed that you and Dave might return to the USA one day - to eke out your retirement in a cabin in the "Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia" or a Florida swamp. Perhaps that was a wrong assumption?

      Delete
  13. My grandmother's family left England, about 110 years ago, for economic opportunities and to be farther away from a war that many knew was coming and no one wanted to do anything to stop. This turned out well. She never went home, but never lost her love of the Royal family, even Charles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whaddya mean, "EVEN Charles"? He has always been a good guy... as far as princes go.

      Delete
  14. I live for those types of random encounters that turn out to be so heartfelt and pleasant. And then- a fish and chips lunch on top of it! Nice story indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was such a positive post about immigrants. Trumpers should read this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of this. They probably don't read or comprehend much.

      Delete
  16. Yes, a nice story.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits