11 April 2024

Cities


There are eight cities in Yorkshire - more than in any other English county. They are, in alphabetical order, Bradford, Doncaster, Kingston-upon-Hull, Leeds, Ripon, Sheffield, Wakefield and York.

Naturally, I have been to all of these cities but the two I know best are Kingston-upon-Hull which is commonly called Hull and Sheffield where I am currently writing this blogpost. Hull was the city of my first eighteen years and I even went to school there for five years. It is the home of my beloved football team - Hull City. 

Sheffield is just my adopted city. Home to almost 600,000 people, I have lived here since 1978. I know it like the back of my hand.

Of all the Yorkshire cities, the one I know least is Bradford. I have been there just three times. Firstly, it was to play rugby against Bradford Grammar School. Another time it was to see Hull City playing Bradford City at Valley Parade and once it was to take a party of schoolchildren to visit what is now called the National Museum of Science and Media.

Bradford has a sizeable South Asian community - previously linked with labour in the woollen industry. Most of those people claim Islam as their religion. They make up 27% of the total population of greater Bradford which, like Sheffield, is nestled on the eastern edge of the Pennine hills.

Anyway, I am going to Bradford tomorrow morning. I will be heading up there by train and returning in the evening. My plan is to walk through the city centre and then two miles north to Lister Park where I hope to visit the city's main art gallery - Cartwright Hall.

It will be an adventure and one that I shall no doubt report upon when I get home. The weather looks set fair for tomorrow and I have printed off a map to guide me. I feel that I have been languishing within these four walls for far too long. Time to get out and see the world again... well Bradford anyway

19 comments:

  1. Have a great walkabout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I envy you and your walkabouts. Have a good one in Bradford. Maybe some tasty Indian food for lunch?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes keep in the routine of getting out. It's too easy to stop going out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your foot came good then?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you know thatDoncaster is still officially part of Scotland? It was never formally signed back over to Yorkshire. I only read that the other day

    ReplyDelete
  6. On a sunny fair day, why not go out and about as you used to! Have a wonderful visit and please take photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just flew over Sheffield via Google Earth, the detail is amazing, yet I can't view my own Adelaide hills areas which is quite disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes an urban walk can be as interesting and rewarding as one in woodland and across fields, just very different of course in terms of noise and people.
    You planning this walk means your foot does not hurt anymore, I suppose - that's good news!
    Of the cities listed, I know Ripon (almost) like the back of my hand, and have been to Leeds and Sheffield several times without really "knowing" them; same goes for Doncaster and York. York I've visited relatively often but wouldn't go as far as saying I know it. Now that my niece lives there, we might go more frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Break free from the walls and enjoy your trip, but on a Saturday, we do all our trips midweek.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My daughter did some of her medical training in Bradford's hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The adventure you describe is the kind that I love. BS (Before Shirley) I would take the train up to DC and just explore and then come back in the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, a train ride and a nice walk, the perfect day out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds like a great trip! Enjoy it. I will be looking forward to seeing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoy your adventure!
    I had no internet yesterday and so did not see your post on flags until today. I don't know flags at all, though. It was a weird day for me with no cable TV, no internet, no home phone. I read a lot so it turned out to be a nice day actually.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My brother-in-law's family tree traces to Hull and he is an avid fan of Hull City. Every other year he and my sister travel to Hull to take in a match or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! What a co-incidence! I am going to see Hull City today (Saturday). They are playing Queen's Park Rangers.

      Delete
  16. I had no idea that Hull's real name is "Kingston-upon-Hull." A mouthful!

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits