4 April 2024

Thursday

"Grandpa! Grandpa!" sang my three year old human alarm clock.

Little Phoebe was shouting up from downstairs as I surfaced from sleep.

I donned my stripey dressing gown, stumbled to our landing and looked down the staircase. There she was at the bottom still in her coat and floral wellington boots. It was half past eight this very morning.

"Haven't you got dressed yet?"

"No I haven't! You just woke me up and now I am coming down to see you!"

After a hug and a cuddle, I was soon fulfilling her second breakfast order. She wanted malted wheats with hot milk - just like grandpa who also made his habitual pint of tea in "The Big Mug". Perhaps that is who I am these days - just the big mug.

After the breakfast, our lovely princess wanted me to read "Chicken Licken" with her. It's funny how I never tire of reading that book. You know the one I mean - containing Henny Penny, Goosey Loosey, Cocky Locky and Turkey Lurkey amongst others as well as the cunning Foxy Loxy who just wanted to make a big poultry pie. Phoebe now knows this story so well that she could almost recite it by heart. Funny there's no Trumpy Pumpy or Bibi Wibi (Netanyahu).

I also read a second, longer version of "Chicken Licken" and a book about a little yellow star that fell to earth - specifically into a zoo in which fortuitously the animals did not attack or eat each other. Thank heavens for the ants who through co-operation and teamwork built a tower so tall that they were able to put the little star back in his rightful position  in the heavens above. Take that Lion! Take that Giraffe!

I also read a book called "Peppa's Holiday Cruise" starring the worldwide children's literary superstar - Peppa Pig. What a phenomenon she has become with dozens of books, clothing items, confectionery,  toys, games, jigsaws and of course the endless videos. Peppa Pig's world is always nice and friendly with hardly any upsets and of course no school shooters, drugs or social media trolling. Nothing like that. Life is all hunky dory in Peppa Pig World.

All too soon, it was time for Phoebe to go to Dronfield swimming pool with Grandma. In the meantime Grandpa Pig had a shower, got dressed and drove Clint to the recycling centre at Gleadless Valley. He was already filled with severed planks of old decking wood. I also took some redundant electrical items including our deceased "Sage" kettle and "Dell" monitor.

Back home the swimming party returned at one fifteen. We had some lunch and tired Little Phoebe then wanted to do  some binge watching of Peppa Pig. "Another one! I just want another one!... I promise - last one!" Oh yeah!

Later Grandma Pig took Peppa Pig to Chelsea Park for an hour while Grandpa Pig got on with preparing the evening meal. A homemade chicken bhuna with coconut milk, boiled basmati rice, mini peshwari nans and onion bhajis with mango chutney.

Mummy arrived with the still thriving Baby Margot and Daddy came along at five thirty. He had been working in the city centre office today. Before six thirty the satellite family were ready to leave but Little Phoebe would not give Grandpa his customary big smackeroo of a  goodbye kiss. The glint in her eyes was like that of Foxy Loxy just before the end of "Chicken Licken".

33 comments:

  1. I liked reading to my kids and they had many favorite books. I notice your list includes many new books and authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To read with a small child can be quite magical.

      Delete
  2. Have you introduced Phoebe to Bluey yet? You should, Bluey and Bingo are delightful and apparently taking the world by storm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forget The Sydney Opera House and "Neighbours" for Australia's finest gift to world culture is indeed "Bluey"! Phoebe loves that cartoon and even has a pair of "Bluey" pyjamas!

      Delete
  3. I have tried reading to the twins who are not yet two but they won't settle and listen. Reading to them is Daddy's job and they won't have anyone else. Yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phoebe has been quite resistant with me so yesterday's reading session was special.

      Delete
  4. OK. You've worn me down already. Give us another quiz!

    (PS OK: joking; alternat[iv?]ely, let's write a description of a dog.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Within the brackets you appear to be drunk or breaking into a new language.

      Delete
    2. Appearances can be deceptive.

      Are you not familiar with the deployment of brackets to denote alternatives? (Presume you didn't mean the parentheses.)

      Delete
    3. I looked alternat[iv?]ely up in my dictionary but it was not there.

      Delete
  5. Dear Phoebe. Grandpa Pig has a surprise for you. He is going to take you to Peppa Pig World in Hampshire. He will have such fun and so will you. Enjoy your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandpa Pig will not be visiting Peppa Pig World as he associates it with Boris Johnson.

      Delete
  6. I have no idea what children's books are like today, though of course I've heard of Peppa Pig.
    My mother used to tell me that when I was about Phoebe's age, my favourite book was one about a girl called "Polly Peppermint" and I liked to hear the story at least once every day. My mother and Grandmother both took turns to read it and frequently thought they'd short-change me by skipping a few paragraphs or even a whole chapter. This apparently lead to tears, tantrums and hysterical accusations (from me) that "you've missed a bit out"! That must have been when my mother decided to teach me to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you were an awkward little devil Carol!

      Delete
  7. Three turns today to "sign in" for my comment in spite of already having been signed in since about 6:45 this morning... oh well.

    What, no goodbye kiss for Grandpa?! What did you do? Stop the Peppa Pig binge watching too early?
    Your meal sounds really mouthwatering, I love naan bread and I guess mini peshwari nans are as delicious as their bigger relatives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you struggled to sign in. Have the Russians signed you up as a secret agent?

      Delete
  8. Read me another please Uncle Pudding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well climb up on my lap then JayCee! Who's a good girl?

      Delete
  9. I would have had those decking planks to make a raised beds or use for duck boards to Barrow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would need a hell of a lot of duck boards to reach Barrow-in-Furness!

      Delete
    2. I think we have webbed feet.

      Delete
    3. As they say in Nottinghamshire - Please explain duck!

      Delete
  10. Is Grandpa not a swimmer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandpa is indeed a swimmer. See:
      https://beefgravy.blogspot.com/2020/08/swimming.html
      However, as years have passed, I have grown to dislike public swimming baths. I like the sea or even clean lakes and clean rivers.

      Delete
  11. Reading to kids is the greatest thing because it spurs their imagination and hopefully their future love of reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. Reading and writing are the foremost achievements of western "civilsation".

      Delete
  12. I love to read with my grandsons and now they can read to me, too.
    Right now they are really into Legos and my basement has become the Lego room when they visit. They create such clever adventures with the pieces they build and I am the "finder" looking in the boxes for the special pieces they need to complete their creations. We have a LOT of Legos saved from when my kids were little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Finder"? Don't you mean "slave" Ellen?

      Delete
  13. I really like reading to children. I got the opportunity to read to a first grade class a couple of weeks ago and we all had fun. I'm so glad to hear that Phoebe loves books!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well you know how much I love reading to my grandchildren. It is absolutely one of the greatest joys of my life. I recommend that you find a copy of The Little Red Hen Makes a Pizza.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I will seek that book Mary. Thank you.

      Delete
  15. Well, that was certainly a full day! I haven't thought of Chicken Licken in approximately 55 years. I don't even remember the story but I remember all the names.

    Wasn't there some controversy about Peppa Pig recently? How she's badly behaved or a poor role model for kids or something like that? Some silly article I read in the newspaper. (And obviously promptly forgot.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it may have been that children in other parts of the world have been copying Peppa Pig's English accent. She is never badly behaved and any mischief she gets up to is of the mildest variety.

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits