10 April 2024

Flags

Every country in the world has its own flag. A flag is something that you can rally round or sometimes burn. In Great Britain, our flag - The Union Jack - is not displayed as widely as The Stars and Stripes are displayed in The United States. Over there, you will find flags aplenty. Many homes even have their own flagpoles where residents like Bruce and Judy in Arizona and Bob and Carlos in South Carolina, assemble each morning to pledge allegiance to their flag.

A nice thing about The Stars and Stripes and The Union Jack is that they are both very distinctive flags. Everybody can recognise them. However, this is certainly not the case with all national flags. Playing "Worldle" most days, I often struggle with some of the flags of West Africa . Colours and designs can seem so similar that its hard to differentiate. 

Look below. Do you see what I mean? :-

The eagle-eyed among you might point out that Ethiopia is not located in West Africa but it seems that  the green, yellow and red symbolise Pan-Africanism and that idea was first nurtured in Ethiopia with the other former colonial states aspiring to be part of that Pan-African movement - separate yet joined together.

Those flags do not help quizzers at all. I prefer distinctive flags - another of these is the flag of Kiribati in the Pacific Ocean. Formerly known as The Gilbert Islands, Kiribati became independent from Great Britain in 1979. Consisting of thirty three inhabited islands and with a total population of 126,000, Kiribati's flag shows a fierce sun rising above ocean waves in a red sky with a frigate bird flying by. Now that's my kind of flag:-


⦿

FOREWARNING
Next week's quiz will be on the human body.
I suggest you do some revision or get to
know your own body a little better!

30 comments:

  1. I've always liked the Union Jack. And the Maple Leaf flag of Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Canada's flag is certainly distinctive - only dating as far back as 1965.

      Delete
  2. There was a tremendous amount of discussion when we got the maple Leaf for our flag. some of it was very heated. Some of the old timers are still hot under the collar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you an old timer Red? I see that your maple lead flag didn't appear until 1965.

      Delete
    2. I am not an old timer in this case. I was in Inuvik NWT for the official flag raising.

      Delete
  3. Guinea and Mali? What are you doing?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess those flags are eco-friendly. You just have to turn them upside down.

      Delete
  4. Kiribati certainly is distinctive. A human body quiz? Should I rush out and buy an anatomy book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you should if you want to score some points.

      Delete
  5. Here in Germany, for understandable reasons we were reluctant to use our flag much for the decades following WWII. Only in 2006, when we hosted the Football World Cup, this changed: In the overall party mood, folks brought out flags everywhere, even covering the side mirrors on their cars with little bath-cap like covers. Suddenly, you could buy such things everywhere, and you saw them everywhere. It felt strange at first, but fine after a while. I think it helped us to a more relaxed approach to the use of our national flag.
    Looks-wise, my personal favourite is Argentina. Light blue stripes and a yellow sun in the middle - what's not to love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting reflections on Germany's relationship with its flag. Also - yes - I agree - the flag of Argentina is a nice one.

      Delete
  6. Kiribati's flag is simple and so beautiful. It would be easy for someone who didn't know the obvious differences to confuse the Australian and New Zealand flags, ie Union Jack, dark blue background and stars.

    I should hire a model and get to know the human body better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You already have one. He is called R.

      Delete
  7. I am hopeless with flags. Many of them all look the same to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could you recognise the flag of The Isle of Man?

      Delete
  8. I am looking forward to next week's quiz. I will be able to use my University Challenge strategy again to make sure of getting at least one right. I will be answering "rectum" or one of its synonyms to every question.
    By the way, I got 7 right in the final, which was very satisfying because the teams were so impressively quick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched the final too. Justin Lee for Imperial College was especially impressive as English is not his first language and his academic speciality is Chemistry! He knew so much. A very enjoyable series. By the way your "rectum" will not earn you a single point!

      Delete
  9. Is the quiz open book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No but you will be free to examine your own body during the quiz. Self-dissections are also allowed.

      Delete
  10. I never realized how similar all those West African flags are -- Guinea and Mali in particular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least Morocco's flag looks very different!

      Delete
  11. Do you have a flag for the islets of langerhans?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the Islets of Langerhans! So beautiful! I am glad you flagged them up!

      Delete
  12. I have no hope with African flags. European flags already do me in with the countless ones that have three different solid bars of various repeating colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Netherlands, Luxembourg, France? I know what you mean Ed.

      Delete
  13. The flags do look very similar don't they - perhaps they all went to the same flag designer and opted for the same colourways because they were on special offer?
    Does your answer to Travel's query about next week's quiz mean we'll all have to sit at our computers with no clothes on? Oh dear.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have fired up my vivid imagination Carol! Photos will be required as evidence.

      Delete
  14. I LOVE flags. When I taught, I'd spend a mini unit on the meanings of flags and the symbolism involved. Then I had the students design their own flag with an accompanying description of the meaning. It was amazing what they came up with. The state of Minnesota just changed their state flag. I think it's a much better design.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am hopeless with flags. Pretty good at anatomy, though. Being a bit of a hypochondriac helps, plus an innate interest which helps even more. I may just pass next week's quiz, for a change!

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits