6 September 2024

Jobs

Tasker Dunham over at "A Yorkshire Memoir" has just been merrily blogging away about part time jobs that people did when still in full-time education.

Living in a village situated in the middle of productive farmland, there was always money to be made at harvest-time. I mostly recall potato picking and also pea picking. Even for a ten or eleven year old boy, such work was back-breaking. You really knew about it when you had spent six or seven hours stooping in a field and in addition the filled wire baskets were a struggle to lug back to the trailer.

I had an evening paper round between  the ages of twelve and fourteen. There were around forty copies of "The Hull Daily Mail" to be delivered every night. In those days almost every other house in the village subscribed to that paper. My friend, Paul Budd, delivered weekly and monthly magazines. I recall that a man who lived in a  bungalow on the edge of the village subscribed to "Playboy" but for several months he never got it on time. I am sure you can guess why. 

I must have been fifteen when I began working at the turkey farm near Brandesburton. It involved weekends and some holiday work. It wasn't a proper "farm" as portrayed in children's story books, it was more of a concentration camp. There were several sheds populated by thousands of gobbling white turkeys at different stages of development. The job was mostly about feeding and watering them and ensuring that the shed floors were reasonably clean. Fresh wood shavings had to be manually scattered  every two or three days. As they grew older the turkeys became noisier - quarreling over food and the imminent approach of workers like me.

When I was sixteen, after I had finished my O level exams, I got a job at a caravan camp just south of Scarborough. It was called The Crow's Nest - formerly just a farm - and it was run by the Palmer family who, I believe, still run it today. I was provided with a small caravan to lodge in and I had various duties to perform - mostly related to the farming side of the business. There were eggs to collect from the battery sheds where in three tiers, hens shared hundreds of cages from which wires ran into troughs out of  which you collected the eggs  twice a day. There were also wax milk cartons to fill and seal in the dairy every afternoon.

During the Christmas holiday of 1970-71,  I was the stand-in caretaker at the village school. The regular caretaker, Maurice, was hospitalised I believe. I had to clean every floor in the school - mostly using a heavy floor-cleaning machine that scrubbed and then buffed the floors. It was difficult and tiresome work but financially beneficial so I didn't mind too much.

From sixteen to eighteen I was the lead singer of a semi-professional rock and roll band and though I did it for the love of it, we occasionally received pay packets. I guess that in the time I was with them we played fifty or sixty paid gigs. We called ourselves Village and I still have the pewter tankard that the band's manager presented to me  a month or so before I left them to follow a different dream - teaching in The Fiji Islands under the auspices of Voluntary Service Overseas.

I could go on to write about work I  undertook during the time I was a university student (1973-77) but I think I will leave that for another time.

30 comments:

  1. Most teens find jobs interesting as it's a new experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember using a floor buffer in the staff dining room when I worked in a hospital kitchen for a while. That monster was twice as heavy as I was at the time and I had to hold on really tight so it didn't get away from me. My kids didn't do after school or holiday/weekend work, they simply left school instead and got full time jobs. But the oldest two grandchildren had weekend and holiday jobs as soon as they were old enough. One of my sons did briefly have a job selling newspapers on the side of the road, and made enough money to take himself to The Royal Show, and for a while he and a friend mowed lawns around the neighbourhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old floor buffers were like beasts that you had to wrestle with.

      Delete
  3. Have you any photos or tape recordings of your Rock band YP?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly not but I will re-check with Jock who was our lead guitarist. He lives in The New Forest.

      Delete
  4. What an industrious teenager you were! I don't think it is so easy these days for younger teens to get paid work , or even volunteer, as there has to be an accredited adult ( police checked thing?) there if they are below a certain age.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should have sued the Village People for stealing part of your group's name. You had many different jobs.
    On a farm, I never had the opportunity for part time work. I didn't really do anything on the farm much aside from getting a billy of milk each day for home use. I could swing the billy in a circle over my head and not spill any milk. I also had to burn the rubbish in an incinerator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet that wasn't the only billy you swung around Andrew.

      Delete
  6. Well you had a wide and varied work history at a fairly young age! In the states I'm not sure it's even legal to have a proper job before you're 16 -- though a person could work on their family farm or something like that. Maybe paper routes are excluded, though where I lived they were all run by adults because a car was necessary.

    I think it's fairly rare for teenagers these days to have part-time jobs, at least of the sort that I had in high school (McDonald's).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will post a photo of yourself in your McDonalds uniform Steve. Have a nice day!

      Delete
  7. Gosh you were busy as a child and teenager. I had too much homework to do stuff during the week and term time, but had jobs in the summer holidays. One or two were doing filing at the local council and another was helping my Dad who managed the bakery and cake counter at Fortnum and Mason. (That was an experience and a half dealing with posh people and celebrities.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Posh people and celebrities can be so tiring!

      Delete
  8. Thanks you for the mention.
    What a lot of experience. I wish now I could have done such a wide range of jobs, I might have had more general confidence if I had, but we were strongly discourage as Grammar School pupils from any type of part-time work.
    The Playboy memory made me laugh out loud. I hope it wasn't too dog-eared and grubby by the time the subscriber received it. It was his prerogative to make it so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had stains on it by the time he got it. No wonder he complained to the village shop.

      Delete
  9. Having grown up on a honeybee farm, that was work from about age 12 until I finished high school. As a teen, I had a sideline taking and selling photos of farms from the air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you tie a helium balloon to your back?

      Delete
  10. Unlike most people I know, I never had a part time job... at least one that paid. Home was a farm and there was always work to be done in evenings and weekends but that was just life on the farm. I always envied my city friends who went home and spent hours working on collections, watching television, reading books, or working part time jobs that paid them money that they could spend on those other things!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My first job was babysitting for neighbors for 50 cents/hour (no matter how many kids they had)! So I could babysit for 8 hours for 4 kids and get $4! Of course, back then gas was only 33 cents/gallon so all things are relative, I guess. I've had lots of different jobs also. Some of your jobs sound scary while others sound like great adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also did weekend babysitting jobs. I got paid for doing my homework at those houses!

      Delete
  12. Why have I had no idea you sang in a band? I probably knew and forgot. Anyway, you certainly had a broad range of experience before you chose your career field.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes wonder - if I had stuck with the band - how far we might have gone.

      Delete
  13. I remember trying to see "Grit", a newspaper, when I was a lad. Then for a time I delivered telegrams. Later a bunch of we high schoolers were hired to pick rocks, essentially moving them out of fields that would later be farmed. I was never much of a fan of manual labor, thus my career as a radio and tv journalist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't you have chain gangs from the ND state penitentiary to move the rocks?

      Delete
    2. The pen was too far away.

      Delete
  14. Your jobs covered a variety of tasks and I am sure were valuable experiences no matter how menial the job seemed at the time.
    Do you know what became of the other members of Village?

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits