21 April 2011

Madness

Readers of this humble blog will recall that recently I travelled into Laos. Before crossing the border, I presented my passport to a uniformed Thai official behind the little glass counter in Chiang Khong. I said, "Teacher in Bangkok. Need re-entry visa. Thirty days." He cancelled my B work visa and apparently didn't give me the required re-entry visa stamp. On my return from Laos I said the same things. My passport was stamped and I came back into Thailand believing that all was well with the world and in particular with my passport.

Roll on to Monday of this week. I go to see the principal's secretary with my passport after noting that the B visa I was given in Hull was due to run out on Wednesday. On reflection what I think has happened is that the admin person in the school who looks after ex-pat teachers' passport and visa issues had neglected to request my passport and take it to the relevant government office for a more permanent work visa to be issued. That and the incompetence of one of the border officials has placed me in a very bizarre situation.

I have to leave the country by air this weekend in order to get one of the precious thirty day stamps at an airport. By land I could, apparently, only get myself a fifteen day stamp. Why on earth the passport lady in school couldn't pull some strings and explain the predicament, I have no idea. But the Thais seem to love their bureaucracy, love signing forms in triplicate, love creating little administrative obstacles for people. On Tuesday I checked - "Are you absolutely sure there is no way round this? I have to leave the country?"

"Yes."

Over in Laos I spent under £60 in four days and that included hotels, transport, meals, bike hire, purchase of T-shirt, bottles of refreshing Beerlao, plasters for my foot, a large bunch of bananas and a bamboo flute. Tomorrow I have a return flight to Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia - cost £135. My hotel will cost me £20 a night. There will be meals to buy and transport tickets. Ah well, I'll get to see the Petronas Towers, hopefully track down a great Indian restaurant and briefly explore a city I never planned to visit.

I guess there are worse problems to have. A common Thai expression is mai pen rai which essentially means - just go with the flow, bend like the bamboo and don't worry 'bout a thing. So Malaysia here I come with passport in hand.

5 comments:

  1. As you say, you will get to see places you may not otherwise have seen but it does seem a very strange way of doing things. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first year working here in Catalonia (i.e. Spain for some), a similar thing happened. I had to fly back to Manchester on a weekday (missing work) to get something stamped at the Spanish Consulate in Manchester!!
    We LOVE beaurocracy over here :)

    Check this recording out - a fictious (or not) Spanish tax office...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXWZ3uAEKsw&feature=player_embedded

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weren't those towers in Malaysia the tallest buildings in the world for a while until they were surpassed by a building in Dubai?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was it caused by a cock-up?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doesn't sound a million miles away from uk governments bureaucracy of red tape

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits