24 April 2011

Malaysia

Some people spend their entire lives in Malaysia, never leaving it and there are probably people who have spent all of their lives in the country's capital - Kuala Lumpur - which means "muddy confluence". Me? I jetted in on Friday evening and jetted out on Sunday afternoon feeling rather frustrated that those forty four hours will very probably be the only hours I ever spend in Malaysia.

I saw and mentally noted many things, including:-
  • The vast palm tree plantations on the way from the airport.
  • Most Muslim Malaysian women wear the "tudung" or hijab headscarf. Why? I have no idea.
  • There are many Indian, Sri Lankan , Bangladeshi and Pakistani immigrants living in Kuala Lumpur.
  • English is very widely spoken and at a book sale in the middle of the Legends Mall, I noted that all books for sale were in English.
  • Alcoholic beverages are not as widely available as they are in Thailand.
  • In the Internet cafe I visited there were maybe a hundred computer stations and that evening everybody else in the room was playing computer games.
  • There are many monkeys on the steps up to the Batu Caves on the northern edge of the city.
  • The Batu Caves contain Hindu shrines.
  • Kuala Lumpur has some good transport links including a monorail and excellent train and bus services.
  • The Petronas Towers - once the tallest building in the world - look really lovely at night.
  • In the strange "Animal Kingdom" below KL Tower there was a two-headed red ear slider turtle and yes - it really did have two heads!
  • Malaysians love English Premiership football as much as the Thais do.
  • In marketplaces, Malaysians are more "pushy" than Thais - calling out and trying to win sales.
  • Malaysian currency is called the ringit. Ten ringit is roughly £2 GBP.
  • Malaysian people like to get up early.
  • Kuala Lumpur seemed both peaceful and friendly - far less hectic than Bangkok can sometimes appear.
  • Chicken Chowman is not a dish to order if you are hoping for a nice meat curry.
But the main thing is that I successfully received a 30-day stamp in my passport when I returned to Bangkok. Hence, my work status can now be ironed out and I shall not be deported as an illegal alien.
Scene at Chow Kit, Monkey at Batu Cave, Petronas Towers reflected in The British Council Building

8 comments:

  1. I am a sucker for a good skyscraper.....its by jennifer jones obsession ( towering inferno!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that was some weekend break! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am satisfying my innate need to travel and see the world in my old age vicariously through you, kind sir.

    Thank you.

    The image of the towers reflected in the British Council Building is breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. JOHN GRAY I also like to see man's audacity in the form of daring buildings.
    JENNY I am thinking of Sydney next weekend or perhaps Beijing. Sorry but Wrexham is not on my list.
    ROBERT PLAGUE Glad to be of service sir. If you send me a thousand dollars I shall visit Hawaii for you or maybe Tahiti. All photographs taken would automatically become the exclusive property of Brague Enterprises Canton GA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suppose if you wore one of those headscarves you'd never have a bad hair day. But then you'd need to have a dozen scarves to match all your clothes. There's just no easy way, is there?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear you have it all sorted YP. You don't want to fall foul of immigration and be deported !! You sound like you are enjoying your stay.
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have worked with lots of student doctors from Malaysia. They are all very polite and great fun. I'm sure that somewhere there must be a rude, grumpy one but I've never met him or her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You could call it 'My Bullet Point Malaysia Tour'.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits